The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kudos to the Sedins

The Honey Badger

Great post, but this is basically the difference between a job and a career.

People with jobs would love to make a lot of money and afford a great life for their family. Fantastic dream and ambition to have.

But those with careers have a burning desire to be the very best at what they do.

So any criticism the Sedins take for not wanting the Cup bad enough is that they see them as just in it for the job. The money. To provide a great life for their family. Nothing wrong with that at all.

It's just a different level of respect given to those who have that need to bring a Cup home to say they've made it.

Not looking to combative here, but who are these people who are granting this respect when we are talking about, a "level of respect given to those who have that need to bring a Cup home"? Are we talking about fans? Other players? Reporters? All of the above?

One way of interpreting your post is that you feel that the Sedins should have either not re-signed here when their previous contract had expired, or that they should be agitating for a trade this year since it does appear that the Canucks' chances of playoff success are a bit low.

How do you feel about about a player like Mats Sundin? He had the chance of being traded in the final years of his career and he refused to be moved because he didn't believe in being a "rental player". Did this reduce the respect given towards Sundin? If the answer is no, and the Sedins share this position, why does it reduce the respect which others feel towards them and not Sundin?

Shane Doan? He's played almost 20 years for the same team and barely made it to the playoffs. He's had ample chances to re-sign elsewhere or be traded.

Several times Iginla turned down being traded by Calgary. Did this position make him any less respected around the NHL? He finally agreed to a trade. Now he moves about every season or two in hopes of winning a Cup. Has this current "gun for hire" position made him a more respected player, or has it reduced the regard in which others hold him?

regards,

G.

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Sedin says that Vigneault was the problem, Vigneault gets shipped out

Sedin says that Luongo was the problem, Luongo gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Torts was the problem, Torts gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Gillis was the problem, Gillis gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Kesler is the problem, Kesler gets shipped out.

Gosh I wonder how that's going to make the team better.

Holy crap do any of you read....and understand. The post is dripping with sarcasm from the last sentence. I thought it was a brilliant comeback to an earlier post in the thread. Then again most of you didn't even absorb that.

Newsflash: The Sedin's are two hockey players out of 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and one goalie.

Kane and Toews can't win a cup by themselves. They needed help from other role players, and guys like Seabrook and Keith.

The problem with the Sedins if you look over the past decade, we've at best been a 2 line team. The deepest team we had with proper secondary scoring was back in 2011. They can't do it on their own. Season after season, shift after shift. They are playing the toughest defensemen, and the best forecheckers in the NHL.

If the Sedin's were drafted by Detroit, they'd be on a dynasty team. The fact is Burke, Nonis and Gillis failed to build a better team around them. You can have a Bure on your club, and he can score 60 goals. But if the rest of your players just aren't good enough, you'll never win a cup.

We need a Norris calibre defenseman, and three lines that can score. And have the depth to call up guys from the farm if we have injuries and contribute. Not just guys that skate around and chew up 5-6 minutes on the fourth line doing nothing.

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Sedin says that Vigneault was the problem, Vigneault gets shipped out

Sedin says that Luongo was the problem, Luongo gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Torts was the problem, Torts gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Gillis was the problem, Gillis gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Kesler is the problem, Kesler gets shipped out.

Gosh I wonder how that's going to make the team better.

I call BS and troll o lolololololo.

The Sedins with Vrbata and a competing Burr will do much better this coming season.

The PP just breathed new life with this signing.

I'm sure as much as they'd like to win a cup they know that no contender is in a position to take both of them.

I like the Sedins a lot and I agree they seem like outstanding people as well as outstanding players.

However, it is absolutely right that no contenders would take them on at $7 million per year for the next 4 years. I still can't believe that Gillis agreed to such inflated contracts. And who has $14 million in cap room for guys who would now be no more that very good second liners on a contending team in any case.

However, I also believe that Sedins would not want a trade in any case. They are valuable members of the community. They like it here and they have a strong sense of loyalty.

Just re-watch their contract signing presser.

They flat out said they are fine with being here for a rebuild.

One more point: One more point: It is not as if players can predict who is going to win a Stanley Cup. The chance that Kesler wins a cup next year is actually pretty low. The Vegas odds-makers have the Ducks at 14 to 1 or about 7% for 2015. Admittedly, that is better than Canucks, but a couple of years from now, the Canucks will probably be in a better position than Anaheim.

I can't applaud them enough for still believing & not wanting out. Both are HUGE parts of the team and are probably why some players get excited about playing for us. It pisses me off whenever i hear crap about the "sedan sisters" & "two girls no cup". Other teams' fans don't give the twins nearly enough credit for everything they've accomplished. I LOVE their devotion & commitment to this team. They either win it with us, or don't win at all. They are class acts & without a doubt, 22 & 33 will be in the rafters ^_^

Wow....after reading some of this. Do you folks not get it? Trev & JB really need to bring back Willie Desjardins' former Asst. Coach, Doug Lidster, to explain it to you, then. Lidster was on the Rangers team that won the Stanley Cup in '94...versus his former 'mates, the Canucks. It was a thrilling 7-game series,... some say one of the most exciting in the modern era. Our valiant & very banged-up Captain,Trevor Linden scored twice in a losing cause in the final 3-2 game in NY. Our city cried & crumbled with disappointment.

As with the BOS/VAN series of '11.... there was controversy with the refereeing and some despicable & unsportsmanlike behaviors during the series. At the game ending-buzzer of Game 6, when the score was 6-3 Canucks, Linden was struck & toppled by a Ranger. He was then down on all 4's in excruciating pain, breathless & struggling to get to his bench. With a mere handful of seconds left to play, NY Captain Mark Messier went out of his way to stop playing the game & the puck...& deliberately elbowed our honorable Canucks' Captain in the face, breaking his nose. Like the Bruins of '11...Messier felt he & his team were entitled to take such un-checked liberties...because the series had been called this way. He also knew, ...short of killing some one,... there was nothing he could do that would ever get him thrown-out of Game 7 . After-all,.. he was the "Messiah"! Yet - he failed in his dastardly effort to put our heroic Captain out of the last game.

Hearing Cliff Ronning tearfully talk about what his former Captain Trev went through to have the freezing put inside of his rib-cage before each game...so he could pick-up a stick & put on his gear to play...was heart-wrenching. Trev went thru all of that...to win the Stanley Cup - as much for his teammates & his beloved VanCity,...as for himself! This is the kind of example set for the Sedins,..especially when Linden returned to the Canucks after the Orca Bay debaucles saw to it that the '94 team's core was turfed.

Some players came & went & Trev eventually became an Olympian, then he was elected President of the NHL Players' Association....all signs of the level of respect his peers & Hockey-Canada had for him. Messier would have been too selfish to seek after such a service-based post in the NHLPA... & he never became an Olympian either,..hmmmm,...I wonder why?

Back to Lidster,...as his team gathered in the Rangers' dressing-room to celebrate, all video of these celebrations show Lidster being quiet & more subdued...not quite as gleeful as the rest. He'd been drafted by the Canucks & played with them for 10 years. He was traded to NYR to begin that season. As the party in the Ranger dressing room carried on.. he went out into the hallway to reflect & talk to those who were hanging around. He told reporters later,...that he had some very conflicted feelings. He quickly came to the realization,..that he knew his former 'mates or the guys in opposing team's dressing room.. far better than he knew his current teammates. He identified more with the Canucks...and he could imagine the level of their heart-break. I suspect he also knew that the (O-6) Rangers had been given advantages that had allowed his current Captain to disrepect ...his former Captain. These things did not sit very well with him. If you haven't figured it out yet,...Lidster is also a man of integrity & honor, who played the game the right way, too. He was sorrowful & conflicted,..& found it difficult to find supreme joy in that victory.

This is how the Sedins expect that they would feel - if they were to win a Stanley Cup...for any other NHL team ...or for any other city. They know that they would feel conflicted & not as fullfilled, knowing how much they would really still want this city,...their city...VanCity...to be winning the Cup, more!

Linden is team-President now,...& he has essentially mentored them all, really. Stan Smyl is there too. The Sedins would like nothing better than to see Trevor Linden's name etched upon the Stanley Cup along with theirs. We can assume that Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Hansen & Hamhuis feel the same way. They are all Canucks...either brought-up in BC with this as lore..or trained-up to be extremely loyal to one another whilst playing upon Canucks' farm-teams, together. Kes...uh...him...maybe-not-so-much.

But - please, DO bring Doug Lidster back! Bring him back full-circle to VanCity to help the Sedins & the other Canucks full-fill a shared dream. It would be a golden opportunity for him to experience the "real joy" he couldn't quite have back then. This is uber-motivation going forward that wont be stopped!

:canucks: Bring our city....VanCity...the Stanley Cup! We want the Cup!

Archived