The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi Lawsuit Settled

Canucks

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/hockey/2014/07/02/exnhler_steve_moore_ups_ante_in_lawsuit_against_bertuzzi_canucks.html

Former NHL player Steve Moore wants $30 million more from Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks.

Moore, formerly a player with the Colorado Avalanche, has sued the Vancouver Canucks and their former player Todd Bertuzzi. During a hearing on Wednesday at Ontario Superior Court, Moores lawyers said they have filed documents increasing Moore's demand for damages to $68 million from $38 million.

During a March 8, 2004, game between the Canucks and Avalanche, Bertuzzi, then playing for the Canucks, struck Moore from behind, punching him in the side of the head, then driving his head into the ice. After lying in a pool of blood for several minutes, Moore was removed on a stretcher. Bertuzzi later pleaded guilty to a charge of assault.

Moore, now 35, never played another game.

Retribution is a key theme in Moore's suit. During a game before he was attacked by Bertuzzi, Moore delivered a questionable hit on then-Canucks captain Markus Naslund. Bertuzzi called Moore a "punk" and said he was pleased the teams still had two games remaining during that season.

So much time has passed since the attack that a new generation of hockey fans have come of age with no knowledge of the case. The civil trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 8.

The trial is expected to involve dozens of witnesses and last as long as 18 weeks. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly both are expected to testify, as is former Canucks owner John McCaw, if no settlement can be reached beforehand.

Lawyers for Moore and Orca Bay, the company that owns the Canucks, have asked for a trial by judge while Bertuzzi wants a jury trial.

Moore made his first appearance in a courtroom on Wednesday, but refused to publicly discuss his case.

The Canucks and Bertuzzi will argue at trial that estimates Moore would make $35 million during his NHL career are wildly off-base. Moore's expert list will include hockey executives who will say that he would have blossomed into a top-six forward.

That much will be subjective. It would have been hard to predict, for instance, that Bertuzzi, demoted to the minors for 13 games during his third NHL season, would go on to earn nearly $50 million from NHL teams.

The Canucks lawyer, Alan D'Silva, will also try to cast doubt on Moores claim that he could have made as much as $65 million during a career in the financial services industry following his pro hockey career.

Moore, a Harvard University graduate with an IQ of 138, applied to Harvard and Stanford business schools, but didn't get in. A judge agreed to allow D'Silva and Bertuzzi's lawyers to question Moore for 45 minutes on Thursday about those business school applications.

D'Silva said he wants access to reference letters Moore provided to Stanford and Harvard, telling the court that one purported expert suggested Moore's best career options after hockey included being a hoist operator, a farm labourer or a cook in a fast-food restaurant. The lawyer declined to elaborate after the hearing on his comments because he said he didn't want to insult Moore.

D'Silva also wants access to information about Moore's annual income over the past decade, noting that during one year, Moore made $140,000. That money is believed to be a one-time payment given to Moore by his family for helping to negotiate the sale of a business.

http://youtu.be/Hj3yxUcz2qs

http://youtu.be/GuuIAia2Elo

http://youtu.be/wGuD0_NME7k

I have no sympathy for him at all. He just looks like a money grubbing lazy ass. I would bet good money that there are lawyers somewhere in his immediate family. Because this has "self entitled sue for everything rather than work for it" written all over it.

I got a major concussion AND blew out my knee when I was 21 years old. I managed to build a highly successful financial advisor business AFTER that so suggesting that people who are concussed can never work again is ridiculous. Go get a job you lazy bum.

lol @ this youtube comment from one of those videos...

"if you actually believe bertuzzis punch broke moores neck and then drove moores head into the ice for good measure you are an idiot and should actually watch the video. moore being a dumbass like he is tried to sell the punch and broke his own neck, think thats an ignorant statement? put your chin down and fall on your head like moore did, yes youre gonna break your neck."

I've got all the sympathy in the world for the guy, but $68 million? Come on...

I doubt he would've ever made close to $70 million for the 10 years he missed playing hockey. That would be $7 million/year which not even the Sedins made for the past 10 years. I wonder where he came up with that magical number.

I doubt he would've ever made close to $70 million for the 10 years he missed playing hockey. That would be $7 million/year which not even the Sedins made for the past 10 years. I wonder where he came up with that magical number.

Greed is gonna get his case thrown out, and after all this time? What a waste for everyone involved.

It's not all about lost income...part is for pain and suffering and part as a punitive measure.

I have no sympathy for him at all. He just looks like a money grubbing lazy ass. I would bet good money that there are lawyers somewhere in his immediate family. Because this has "self entitled sue for everything rather than work for it" written all over it.

I got a major concussion AND blew out my knee when I was 21 years old. I managed to build a highly successful financial advisor business AFTER that so suggesting that people who are concussed can never work again is ridiculous. Go get a job you lazy bum.

Not to mention the potential of book deals (bet the dude has ghost writers working on 'em now),... & made for tv movie(s),... upcoming speaking engagements... or the interview income that this case will undoubtably generate. Moore will be over-villifying Bertuzzi.... for generations to come, mark my words! Who will the victim be then..Steve?

Steve Morore is a piece of work. He knows his injuries are the result of a series of unfortunate events. I also believe his self-reported symptoms are inflated & suspicious ....because of his own lack of accountability, empathy or apology for what he did to his own victim of concussion,.. Markus Naslund...and because of the level of greed in his claim.

His blind-side hit to Naslund's head,...came within an inch & a flinch... of seeing the former Canucks' Captain also carted-off on a stretcher. But - Naslund got no jersey-pulls or words of warning. Naslund's career as the best player in the league (so-voted by the NHLplayers the previous year)...came to a sad end not long afterwards. Should Naslund have sued you ...for lost income or dimished production as a player too, then...Steve? Naslund.. is a man of high-character & integrity & he chose to forgive & leave it on the ice ..and chalked-it-up to... a series of unfortunate events. So, there by the grace of God, walks Steve!

Moore walks & talks quite eloquantly these days. I really enjoy his interviews. I'm sure we'll see more of 'em. His back healed-up quickly. Quicker than Mason Raymond's back after he got pitch-forked by Boychuk into the boards during the Stanley Cup Final. Raymond sued no one, either. He also saw it...as a series of unfortunate events. But - Steve feels somehat more entitled. Steve's avarice is being stretched further by ambulance-chasing lawyers & his legally-connected friends. 10 years likely means that members of his entourage have invested themselves heavily in the quest to cash-in wildly, too. Steve rides along.. dreaming of a promised cheque at the end of the rainbow! He isnt fooling anyone...with the claim that he would have been a top-6 NHL forward, for many years. The audacity, arrogance & irony.... that he would project himself to become someone akin to...Naslund or Bertuzzi?!!

No question...the dude is employable! Yet - I think he wants to sip drinks at the beach as if on an extended vacation & have others pay for it...then make a side-show out of being a victim...so he can get further rewards for hangers-on. I believe his own parents & brothers,... (one whom writes books, has been previously concussed & called a genius...the other playing for the NYR & lost his wife to cancer)....are happy being self-sufficient. My own personal acquaintances dealing with similar challenges & greater disabilities....are still very employable. If Steve is unemployed now... it is clearly by choice & likely at the urging of his lawyers. Oh, how I pray his case goes to... a jury.

I was also sceptical when the "Steve Moore Foundation" web-page popped-up earlier this year...just before the announcement of a trial date. Apparently, it was 10 yrs in the making. During its' intial days... the Bertuzzi incident propaganda was front-page...clearly selling Steve's point of view, mostly in the form of articles from the Denver Press. Now this has been moved elsewhere on the site,.. under history. Good move! Over-villification of a litigant through social-media or the internet... while Bertuzzi is taking the high-road ...was a bad move! Although, claiming the Foundation's site is not propaganda for his case...he is still the poster-boy all over it. The participants on this site's forums after 6 months now, actually total... wait for it ...3. And, crickets of course! It really is a good concept, Steve....or should I say - kudos to the team of people you will pay from your settlement for creating the site for you. Or is it all ..YOU?! Those are some very employable skills, then, Steve! But,...like me....I suspect, some if not a lot of other people out there are doubting Steve's cred or sincerity a smidge. Removing the Bertuzzi villifications & the hero-worshipping of self,..just might change these perceptions in the future, tho'. Why not give that a try?

All in all tho',...I really do wish Steve peace & healing,...physically, emotionally & spiritually...& the discernment to make better decisions & good choices with his life in the future.

Archived