The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi Lawsuit Settled

Canucks

What a slime ball, nasland and the Canucks should sue him for his hit that affected naslands ability to play.

I think there was more intent to injure on the nasland hit and he was never the same again after the hit. File the papers.

chicken sh!t goon got what was coming to him.....had he manned up, none of this would have happened

I like the fact that Burke offered him a contract after and he turned it down. I also like the fact that former teammate Scott Parker called him a piece of shit :lol:

I feel bad for the guy but he was a fringe player that has to know inside that it was just an unfortunate accident.

Tempers flare things, happen, Bertuzzi wanted to fight him, he didn't want to break his neck.

Can Steve Moore walk and run? Yes he can, can he play hockey no he cant

Was he going to make 68 million in his career? Never, he wasn't that skilled/ $38 million? Never same issue.

I get that lawyers put big numbers out there as negotiation tactics, and he will never see those numbers but I would guess if he went to the Canucks/Bert lawyers and said 4 million it would be done.

That is about the value of the money he probably lossed out on, I am sure he got insurance money from being hurt while playing the game.

The guy is just coming off as a douche now.

For the league in general, don't like how they "police" themselves. If this lawsuit provides impetus for the league to address that matter, it might have some purpose.

It's time for this sport to jump into the 21st century. This lawsuit(& others in the pipeline, especially on concussions), might help to bring about change.

DPS rulings & on-ice officiating need more professionalism & consistency. It might be time to have some kind of external-oversight. This league is too resistant to change & transparency. Their "code" seems open to interpretation. Surprised there haven't been more of these incidents.

I have always wondered if the damage came after the punch when Moore's teammates jumped on Bertuzzi and the entire pile fell on Moore driving him to the ice. Maybe this loser should sue the Avalanche as well.

Moore probably has an entire room full of Bertuzzi pictures with the word die written in red lipstick everywhere. Lol

Pathetic. And, to use his own description, disgusting.

Any sympathy people may have had for him should turn to rage for an opportunistic money grabber who's milking a system.

Jesus, my brother was run down by a car and even HE has managed to move on with his life, battling against it to find a successful path and work hard. Get off your lazy butt and work for a living like the rest of us - this world isn't a charity.

Steve Moore was never on my radar as a player but he did what every player has to and finished his check on Naslund. His hit was no worse than many that were happening in the NHL game as played at that time. Naslund was caught with his head down and in the NHL the idea is that you pay a price for that. My problem with Naslund after the hit was that he whined about it. If he had stated that it was a legit hit that had bad results for him I would be OK with it. Bottom line was there was some arrogance on his part that some 'nobody' could hit him.

All this aside when a player hits any player on the other team 'premier or not' he might have to defend his actions. It is well established in pro hockey that the refs control some aspects of ice conduct and that players also enforce a code of accountability. While I had no problem with the Moore hit on Naslund he should have answered the call when Bertuzzi confronted him. By not doing so he was refusing to be accountable for the physical game he initiated. Of the three players in this incident I consider Bertuzzi the least responsible for the result.

Currently all Canuck fans are rooting for Gino Odjick as he confronts his health struggle. Canuck fans loved Gino's play because he defended his teammates and played a very physical game. He would have done no different than what Bertuzzi tried to do. It is quite possible that if Gino had been playing that Moore would not even have made the hit on Naslund. To me the essence of hockey has always been a confrontation between skill and finesse and the physical counter to control and minimalize it. Moore's suit is ignoring what hockey is. Anyone in the game knows the physical risk and accepts it in order to play.

Lol, at everyone who is saying this is Moore's fault. It doesn't matter what he did to Naslund, at the end of the day, Bertuzzi is still the one who decided skate over and punch him in the back of the head. In front of 18,000 witnesses. And millions more watching TV. Bertuzzi should be paying up when all is said and done.

Now, do I think Moore should get 68 million? Hell no! The fact that he's trying to claim he could have made that much over his career is laughable. If he just asked for a reasonable seven figure number, Bertuzzi and the Canucks would be writing him a check right now. Now he's going to drag it out and possibly torpedo his own case by going this route.

harvey-specter-smilesuits---harvey-spect

Steve, we both know this is just your last ditch effort to squeeze every last dollar out of the 15 minutes of fame that was over 15 minutes ago. The way I see it, this can end in two ways, you take my offer of 18 Million and walk out of here knowing you did the right thing, or to can take this court where I'll just have to remind you that your brother is twice the player you were ever going to be and he hasn't even cracked 10 million in career earnings, you'll walk out with half of what my settlement is, and after I've dragged this out, tearing down your case piece by piece, you'd be lucky to walk away with 5 million after all the billables. So take the deal and you can go crawl back under the rock you came from. You might think that this your golden ticket, but only ticket you'll cashing is the 2 dollar scratcher at your local convenience store.

I hereby present this affidavit:

Moore was NHL-sized, but slow and underskilled at 24 when he was unfortunately injured. All he could've become in the NHL is what we saw: A pest. An antagonizer. A career journeyman 4th liner with a limited and rare 3rd line injury replacement ability.

As for a direct comparison all you have to do is look at his brother. Clearly more talented than Steve Moore, all Dominic Moore became was a 3rd or 4th line journeyman center.

Dominic Moore, a center, who's stats coming up through ECAC and the AHL, as well as the early NHL, clearly indicated more upside than his brother Steve, a winger, has earned $8.1mil during his entire NHL career.

Historically, centers earn more than wingers on the whole. Talent is more rewarded more than antagonization on the whole. And while both players peak NHL ability is average if not below-average, all indicators show that Dominic's peak was better than Steve's potential peak.

Based on this evidence I have to say that Steve Moore's potential of earning $68mil in his career is fantastical, and a more reasonable expectation is around $6.8mil. To think that Steve Moore would have blossomed into a top-6 star NHL player is utterly ridiculous. Divide his projected career salary figure by ten and you start to approach a more realistic figure.

Signed,

TOMapleLaughs.

The money is just stupid. For comparison's sake, Dominic Moore has made a total of 8.1 million in his career. At the end of next season, it will be 9.6, and he'll be 34. At best he'll top out around 12. However, Dominic produced at a higher rate than Steve in College, in the AHL, and his first NHL season. All indications are that he would be a better player regardless.

I have sympathy for Moore, in that he worked hard to make the NHL and had that taken away from him. However, a lot of people have crap that happens to them. But most of them don't have a degree from Harvard and a rich family to fall back on. But instead of accomplishing something significant, he's wasting years of his life chasing this golden goose.

harvey-specter-smilesuits---harvey-spect

Steve, we both know this is just your last ditch effort to squeeze every last dollar out of the 15 minutes of fame that was over 15 minutes ago. The way I see it, this can end in two ways, you take my offer of 18 Million and walk out of here knowing you did the right thing, or to can take this court where I'll just have to remind you that your brother is twice the player you were ever going to be and he hasn't even cracked 10 million in career earnings, you'll walk out with half of what my settlement is, and after I've dragged this out, tearing down your case piece by piece, you'd be lucky to walk away with 5 million after all the billables. So take the deal and you can go crawl back under the rock you came from. You might think that this your golden ticket, but only ticket you'll cashing is the 2 dollar scratcher at your local convenience store.

If I was the NHL I send in a team of lawyers to do precisely this, this woeful saga should have been settled out of court years ago.

Archived