The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi Lawsuit Settled

Canucks

It was part of the game to have enforcers protecting the stars to Semenko and on and on.

Bertuzzi punching Moore to get him to turn and man up was exactly NHL culture, the result was what they reacted to, not the intent. A few weeks later Messier speared a young player in the groin for hitting a star player and it was referred to "a veteran showing a rookie who he can and can not hit in this league"

It's always been a culture of the league for a player having to take his lumps for a bad hit. (and no, jumping Cooke doesn't count, you don't get to pick your dance partner) I am not saying that's right or acceptable but it's been the norm in the NHL.

I guess that's where it gets into differences of opinion. A consensual fight to take your lumps as part of the "code" is one thing, what transpired here was in my view, totally outside of that.

This Steve Moore is a joke. Poor Bert having to deal with this for over a decade, ITS HOCKEY. Yes it was very dirty but non of that would have happened if he didn't make one of the dirtiest hits to the head I've ever seen. If you made that kind've hit on an NHL captain even now a days someone's comin for ya on the opposing team. Look how the canucks play against Keith and Brown on the hits they did to Henrik. They're always going to be a target

Moore was known for targeting stars with cheap shots. The biggest reason that Naz was the top scorer in the NHL at the time was because Moore cheap-shotted St. Louis as well and S. Louis lost some ground in the points race after

I am not justifying ending his career but lets not pretend he wasn't a star hunting rat either.

Link and piece of the story: http://www.sptimes.com/2004/03/04/Lightning/Tortorella_repeats_ca.shtml

"CHICAGO - For the second time in two weeks, Lightning coach John Tortorella called for league MVP candidate Martin St. Louis to receive more protection from referees.

Obstruction, elbows, face-washes, Tortorella said the wing has been the target of it all. But what really got the coach steamed was when the 5-foot-8 St. Louis was cross-checked from behind into the boards by Colorado's Steve Moore during the first period of Monday's 3-0 Tampa Bay victory."

Find me a video of that incident. If it doesn't exist then it likely wasn't as big of a deal. John Tortorella is also one of the biggest whiners in hockey. In any case from everything I have read I have hardly heard anyone call Moore a dirty player before the Naslund incident.

It was part of the game to have enforcers protecting the stars to Semenko and on and on.

Bertuzzi punching Moore to get him to turn and man up was exactly NHL culture, the result was what they reacted to, not the intent. A few weeks later Messier speared a young player in the groin for hitting a star player and it was referred to "a veteran showing a rookie who he can and can not hit in this league"

It's always been a culture of the league for a player having to take his lumps for a bad hit. (and no, jumping Cooke doesn't count, you don't get to pick your dance partner) I am not saying that's right or acceptable but it's been the norm in the NHL.

Cooke went after Moore, not the other way around. What was Moore supposed to do? Keep fighting till he lost? He had already fought once that night, he had no reason to fight again especially with a lopsided scoreline like that.

Wasn't there another game played between Avs and Canucks after the Moore hit (in Colorado)? If it was all about getting Moore back for that incident, why did nothing occur then? That game was played out without any incident and it was also the game Naslund returned. People wanted to see Moore beaten senseless and the fact that he won his fight that night and the Avs were winning 8-2 at the time were big factors as well.

This Steve Moore is a joke. Poor Bert having to deal with this for over a decade, ITS HOCKEY. Yes it was very dirty but non of that would have happened if he didn't make one of the dirtiest hits to the head I've ever seen. If you made that kind've hit on an NHL captain even now a days someone's comin for ya on the opposing team. Look how the canucks play against Keith and Brown on the hits they did to Henrik. They're always going to be a target

Yeah poor Bert he got to stay in the game and make millions afterwards while his victim had his career ended and still suffers from the consequences of that cheapshot. Because attacking someone cowardly from behind while they cannot defend themselves is hockey. :rolleyes:

Ya, Moore played it alright :rolleyes: (go to the 0:31 mark and explain to me what Moore's intentions were by playing the puck with one hand like that):

http://youtu.be/XhnptY29ZZM

This isn't even remotely close to a case of incidental contact as Naslund had no reasonable opportunity to gain puck possession and wasn't in a position relative to Moore, where he should be prepared for body contact. Incidental contact happens during a loose puck battle where both players arrive at the puck at the same time (more often than not, when skating in the same direction).

Moore CLEARLY reaches the puck first and even had body position on Naslund. He could have easily gained possession of the puck without needing to engage Naslund at all. He intentionally touched the puck with one hand on his stick so he could make contact with Naslund.

It was 100% a premeditated act (it helps if you could remember Moore's shift in it's entirety) and it amazes me that anyone can argue differently. I am hardly a Canuck homer and I am not a big fan of Naslund but none of that matters; this video shows the intent pretty clearly IMO. That was a cheap hit.

So Naslund should have given up on the puck instead of putting himself in such a vulnerable position as he was clearly beat to the loose puck. That what you're saying?

Every shift a hockey player runs the risk of a possible career ending injury. It is the nature of a contact sport played a high speed. Physical intimidation of skilled players exists in the game as a legit ploy. Nothing wrong with the Moore hit. The result was not that big a deal. It was Naslund's reaction that caused the follow up fracus. IMHO Bertuzzi was the most innocent of the 3 players involved. He did what any legit player has to do and that is challenge the physical play that Moore initiated. If Moore had faced up to Bertuzzi when challenged it would have ended there.

This incident is all about Naslund's reaction. He should have sucked it up and kept his mouth shut. It was his lack of leadership that eventually caused a worse result. Canuck fans have such short memories. How many seasons did we see players like Naslund look on as their tenders were run in the net or cheap shots taken on team mates. The standard reaponse was to look on or skate back to the bench. It is all about the desire to win and not just perform. There is a reason why the WCE never took their club beyond the 2nd round.

Find me a video of that incident. If it doesn't exist then it likely wasn't as big of a deal. John Tortorella is also one of the biggest whiners in hockey. In any case from everything I have read I have hardly heard anyone call Moore a dirty player before the Naslund incident.

Cooke went after Moore, not the other way around. What was Moore supposed to do? Keep fighting till he lost? He had already fought once that night, he had no reason to fight again especially with a lopsided scoreline like that.

Wasn't there another game played between Avs and Canucks after the Moore hit (in Colorado)? If it was all about getting Moore back for that incident, why did nothing occur then? That game was played out without any incident and it was also the game Naslund returned. People wanted to see Moore beaten senseless and the fact that he won his fight that night and the Avs were winning 8-2 at the time were big factors as well.

Yeah poor Bert he got to stay in the game and make millions afterwards while his victim had his career ended and still suffers from the consequences of that cheapshot. Because attacking someone cowardly from behind while they cannot defend themselves is hockey. :rolleyes:

Sure Steve Moore deserves a couple million from the lawsuit, because he missed out on so many years. But 68 million!? That's stupid. Moore should've stepped up and fought instead of being a chicken. That's the code of hockey. If you've ever played a game of hockey in your life, you'd know at all teirs, if you make a dirty hit someone's coming for you.

Hockey's a physical sport if you don't like it go and watch soccer

So Naslund should have given up on the puck instead of putting himself in such a vulnerable position as he was clearly beat to the loose puck. That what you're saying?

:lol:

Enough with the trolling Baggins.

Sure Steve Moore deserves a couple million from the lawsuit, because he missed out on so many years. But 68 million!? That's stupid. Moore should've stepped up and fought instead of being a chicken. That's the code of hockey. If you've ever played a game of hockey in your life, you'd know at all teirs, if you make a dirty hit someone's coming for you.

?

Its 68 million because there are lawyers involved in this lawsuit now and lawyers have their own strategy on how they get the best compensation for their clients. Does anyone involved in this incident expect that Moore gets that much? Nope but believe it or not some of this might just be legal strategy by Moore's lawyers.

The "code of hockey"? Give me a break, people just wanted to see this guy get beaten up, he's got no obligation to fight anyone. If you had bothered to read that post though you would have seen that Moore did fight, he fought Cooke and won that fight. How many times should he have fought? Or should he have kept fighting till he lost so that people could be satisfied that he had "paid" for his crime?

You last comment is laughable. I watch pretty much all sports, from football, hockey, soccer, baseball and basketball. You have probably never watched soccer if you think it can not be physical. No its not as physical as hockey but when you have guys with studs tackling you and you don't have any of the protective gear then tell me that soccer is not physically grueling. There is a post match interview of Andres Iniesta the man who scored the winning goal in the 2010 Fifa World Cup, and his legs were covered with gashes and cuts. So please don't make comments about a sport you obviously have never watched. It makes you sound quite ignorant.

There were many fights in that ongoing rivalry - why did any of them fight? Why did 6' 7" 250 lb Worrell challenge 6; 1" 213 lb Brad May? Again - you want to break it down to just Bertuzzi/Moore...you can't. The climate was set and both sides were engaged and showing a "take all comers" attitude. So this was a continuation of that, that's all.

Worrell was out there fighting, spearing, etc. This isn't called playing hockey, it's something different. So you want to ignore the fact that this was going on all night and extract one punch that went wrong. How convenient. I believe he (Worrell) made a few threats of his own - so let's be fair and include everything as it played out...that's my point. But we'll ignore all that, because...why? Because he was lucky enough not to have injured someone in the process, that's why. Luck of the draw, that's all. But don't make it out like the Avs weren't participating or poor Steve had had enough. No one planned on this resulting in someone getting hurt, and they did. Could have been any one of the guys engaging in battle that night. And the Avs were NOT sending a "we don't want any part of this" message. They were in there, toe to toe, including Steve (until he changed his mind).

The game where Moore hit St. Louis with a cheap shot wasn't televised. It was well reported and you either don't remember or it's too inconvenient to your poor innocent Moore act to allow to be a factor. Moore Fighting Cooke was more ratcrap, I don't care if you think otherwise when a team wants to fight you and you engage the smallest you are still being a troll. Go a round with May and the whole event is over. That's the NHL and has been since the dawn of time.

Nothing occurred in the second game vs the Av's because the NHL brass was in attendance and the game was close (we were competing at the time with them for playoff positioning)

I have never stated he should have been taken out of the league or doesn't get some compensation but your type of act is getting old. Moore played a part in this farce too and to pretend otherwise is just biased.

Especially with the ridiculous crap trying to state that Bert was a coward. Do you believe he was actually afraid of Moore? he was obviously trying to get Moore to turn around and fight while Moore tried to run. Now what happened next shouldn't have happened but don't let your hate for Bert dictate that it was done out of fear. I seriously doubt he expected the chain of events that followed.

Doesn't matter because he is responsible and accident doesn't cover it. Moore will be compensated a modest amount and life will go on. The rest is ridiculous.

TL;DR

Moore was a rat but Bert shouldn't have punched him like that.

There were many fights in that ongoing rivalry - why did any of them fight? Why did 6' 7" 250 lb Worrell challenge 6; 1" 213 lb Brad May? Again - you want to break it down to just Bertuzzi/Moore...you can't. The climate was set and both sides were engaged and showing a "take all comers" attitude. So this was a continuation of that, that's all.

Worrell was out there fighting, spearing, etc. This isn't called playing hockey, it's something different. So you want to ignore the fact that this was going on all night and extract one punch that went wrong. How convenient. I believe he (Worrell) made a few threats of his own - so let's be fair and include everything as it played out...that's my point. But we'll ignore all that, because...why? Because he was lucky enough not to have injured someone in the process, that's why. Luck of the draw, that's all. But don't make it out like the Avs weren't participating or poor Steve had had enough. No one planned on this resulting in someone getting hurt, and they did. Could have been any one of the guys engaging in battle that night. And the Avs were NOT sending a "we don't want any part of this" message. They were in there, toe to toe, including Steve (until he changed his mind).

The issue is that most (or at least a lot of) people don't see it as "just another punch" in the game of hockey. No matter how many times that same argument is made, people who see it otherwise aren't going to suddenly change their minds.

Why does all of this excuse Bertuzzi's actions that night? Like it or not the result of the action is what is going to end up being punished. What is the difference between a drunk man that drives home drunk and makes it there without incident and another case where a drunk man while driving home hits someone and ends up killing them? Yes one of them got lucky, whats your point though that we should treat both cases as if they are the same? Because hey the guy that killed someone just got unlucky. Lots of people drive home drunk but don't hurt someone, an argument like that isn't really going to fly where this case is headed.

The game where Moore hit St. Louis with a cheap shot wasn't televised. It was well reported and you either don't remember or it's too inconvenient to your poor innocent Moore act to allow to be a factor. Moore Fighting Cooke was more ratcrap, I don't care if you think otherwise when a team wants to fight you and you engage the smallest you are still being a troll. Go a round with May and the whole event is over. That's the NHL and has been since the dawn of time.

Nothing occurred in the second game vs the Av's because the NHL brass was in attendance and the game was close (we were competing at the time with them for playoff positioning)

I have never stated he should have been taken out of the league or doesn't get some compensation but your type of act is getting old. Moore played a part in this farce too and to pretend otherwise is just biased.

Especially with the ridiculous crap trying to state that Bert was a coward. Do you believe he was actually afraid of Moore? he was obviously trying to get Moore to turn around and fight while Moore tried to run. Now what happened next shouldn't have happened but don't let your hate for Bert dictate that it was done out of fear. I seriously doubt he expected the chain of events that followed.

Doesn't matter because he is responsible and accident doesn't cover it. Moore will be compensated a modest amount and life will go on. The rest is ridiculous.

TL;DR

Moore was a rat but Bert shouldn't have punched him like that.

That's bullcrap to me, Cooke went after Moore not the other way around. After that first fight Moore has no obligation to fight another one. It should have been over right then. Brad May is also an enforcer so no I don't think that is a fair matchup at all. Moore was also a rookie. But fair or not fair it doesn't matter to you. Just admit it, it doesn't make a difference who he fought, its the fact that he wasn't beaten bloody that was the problem.

If you are going to call someone a rat, the onus is on you to back it up with evidence. Steve Moore has played hockey in the MetJHL, Harvard as well a significant amount of games in the AHL. Surely if he was such a rat there would be more than just the one crosscheck, maybe someone that had been hurt by Moore, maybe an opponent calling him a "rat"?

If there is no video of the incident then how do we determine whether it was a malicious play with intent to hurt St. Louis. Since the game wasn't televised, surely you must have been attendance that night to brand Steve Moore as a rat.

Yeah I am sorry but waiting for a blowout game to exact revenge seems like a poor excuse. If its revenge you are after then get it over with on the first opportunity. Take the 2min instigator and deal with it. This was about making Moore pay probably because the score was lopsided and he had won his fight.

You can believe I have an agenda but I am just discussing facts. I don't hate Bertuzzi, like I said in an earlier post I think he legitimately made a mistake and he has already paid a significant price for it and will continue to. Neither man's life was ever the same from that incident and in a way I sympathize with them both. I think a number of Bert's "apologists" are trying to brand Moore as a "goon", "rat" and a "nobody" just because of their bias towards the incident.

Also where did I call Bert a "coward" or where did I say he was afraid of Moore. I consider someone attacking another person from behind as "cowardly", which it is but feel free to prove me otherwise.

Yeah, like how Salo shouldn't have gone at Marchand since he was "clearly beat to the loose puck" right?

Might as well tell us Moore was protecting himself.

:lol:

Enough with the trolling Baggins.

How am I trolling? Two players went after a loose puck. One gets there first sweeps it away and drops his shoulder for contact. The other realizing he's losing the race stretches himself out putting himself in an awkward and vulnerable position. The collision occurers.

This is a pretty simple scenario. Two players racing for a loose puck. They aught to be able to judge if it's going to be close or not. If it's going to be close there's a high likelyhood of a collision. One braced for contact while the other put himself in an awkward postion. What result do you expect?

That's bullcrap to me, Cooke went after Moore not the other way around. and Moore as a "goon", "rat" and a "nobody" just because of their bias towards the incident.

You're wrong there. Cooke was yapping at Moore prior to a face off, but didn't go after him. Moore seized the opportunity to fight a weak opponent. Moore was wrong on this point. You dion't get to pick your dance partner. Others had already tried to get him to go and he chose to go after Cooke.

This image is from the very beggining of the video. Moore has already dropped his stick and a glove and clearly grabbed hold of Cooke as he skated past in pursuit of the puck sending him off balance....

Moore_zps001d8e9b.jpg

Here's the video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoExcpIdPZ0

Worrell was out there fighting, spearing, etc. This isn't called playing hockey, it's something different. So you want to ignore the fact that this was going on all night and extract one punch that went wrong. How convenient. I believe he (Worrell) made a few threats of his own - so let's be fair and include everything as it played out...that's my point.

Do you actually have a source regarding Worrell's "threats"? Who was he threatening? I must have missed the news conference where he uttered those. Or is this simply your "belief"?

Everyone? And going after fans.

What do you think he's doing here? Asking for phone numbers? But the Avs are innocent, right?

And to Toews: drunk driving? That's a little off base here. In hockey, guys punch one another and that's what Bertuzzi did. Drunk driving has nothing to do with this...those are criminal offenses. In hockey, punching is not.

Archived