The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi Lawsuit Settled

Canucks

I like the fact that Burke offered him a contract after and he turned it down. I also like the fact that former teammate Scott Parker called him a piece of crap :lol:

Or that the Avalanche rush-out to sign Bertuzzi's teammate & Canuck enforcer, Brad May...and cut Steve loose. Apparently no NHL player has been willing to tesify in court for him, since.

My summary of this;

- Moore got away with a cheap shot on Naslund

- Naslund was never the same after that

- NHL did nothing about it

- Everyone on the Canuck team wanted revenge

- Naslund's best friend took it upon himself to deliver a message with perhaps some encouragement from Crawford

- Moore refused to fight Bert

- Bert delivered a "sucker punch" where Moore fell to the ground and unfortunately landed badly with Bert's weight over top and some other Avs players over top that

"Sucker punches" have always happened in the NHL and always will, this one went sideways.

This lawsuit is ridiculous

Jurisdiction should matter, here. The incident happened in BC. Why not here? I assume the case was filed in Canada. , at least. In Ontario Supreme Court,..eh? The only worrisome thing about that is that this province's capital city is being mayored by,...Mayor Rob Ford! Who are these people?!

Where would the potential jurors be coming from anyway....Steve's home-town? :picard:

"I got a major concussion AND blew out my knee when I was 21 years old. I managed to build a highly successful financial advisor business AFTER that so suggesting that people who are concussed can never work again is ridiculous. Go get a job you lazy bum."

Does Chris Pronger still play hockey, or the Savard guy from Boston?

Some people do not recover from brain injury, I am happy for you that you have.

Steve Moore, imo, will and should get some settlement but $68 mill is too much. If Moore had not been in a previous scrap the night of the "incident" I'd think his settlement could be in question, but he had answered the bell and paid "the price" according to 'the code".

The guy is such a loser it is not even funny. I mean, top 6 forward? Based on what exactly? And I am sorry to say but incident aside he would not have made 68 million in his career. He may not have made 6.8 million the way he was going.

This incident aside, no-one would even know this plug's name.

Give him a couple million bucks and call it a day. Fracking creep.

My summary of this;

- Moore got away with a cheap shot on Naslund

- Naslund was never the same after that

- NHL did nothing about it

- Everyone on the Canuck team wanted revenge

- Naslund's best friend took it upon himself to deliver a message with perhaps some encouragement from Crawford

- Moore refused to fight Bert

- Bert delivered a "sucker punch" where Moore fell to the ground and unfortunately landed badly with Bert's weight over top and some other Avs players over top that

"Sucker punches" have always happened in the NHL and always will, this one went sideways.

This lawsuit is ridiculous

This is the most succinct description one could come up with for this incident.

It was a freak accident. Now this leach wants to get filthy rich - way more wealthy than he ever would have been given the trajectory of his career.

Disgusting.

I still want Naz to sue Moore for his hit on him. Whatever he wins, he gives to Bert to settle with Moore.

That or donate it to Bert's defense fund to prove that Sith Lord Steve Moore and his team of Darth Johnny Cochran's are actually trying to take over the planet.

I don't understand why there isn't more of a backlash against Moore from the NHL/NHLPA/Execs. I've seen worse and dirtier hits since the punch that have caused injuries too, but after suspension the players moved on. I've seen guys punch players with gloves on, it's just the guy getting hit hasn't been completely knocked out by it and had 4 people jump on him.

I'm just glad Moore is trying his hardest to get McCaw on trial too....I just see that as a multi-millionaire and his army of lawyers getting prepped for this trial for 10 years too. I hope the case gets thrown out and he doesn't get a cent.

Considering his brother is a better player and he's only made about 10 million throughout his career, I'm kind of wonder where exactly he's getting this 68 million number.

Even if he stayed healthy, chances are this guy would have been out of the NHL 3-4 years ago.

"I got a major concussion AND blew out my knee when I was 21 years old. I managed to build a highly successful financial advisor business AFTER that so suggesting that people who are concussed can never work again is ridiculous. Go get a job you lazy bum."

Does Chris Pronger still play hockey, or the Savard guy from Boston?

Some people do not recover from brain injury, I am happy for you that you have.

Steve Moore, imo, will and should get some settlement but $68 mill is too much. If Moore had not been in a previous scrap the night of the "incident" I'd think his settlement could be in question, but he had answered the bell and paid "the price" according to 'the code".

They might argue he had been previously concussed in the earlier fight...or another game...& the event that Bertuzzi initiated,...did not cause the totality of his injuries.

Before tripping over a hockey stick & falling himself... I think Bert was attempting to hold Moore's jersey for the purpose of turning him around... & not driving him into the ice.

Moore ignored Bert's overtures to communicate with him face to face...the swat of that gloved hand to a helmutted-head was meant as an attention-getter. Steve was anticipating something. The zebras watched the proceedings go down the ice, and didnt whistle-it -down... they expected Moore to accept Bert's invitation to fight, too. Bert was irritated by the lack of response & the disrespect of being ignored. He jumped the gun a little... but he did give several warnings 1st. This obviously started out as a typical NHL occurance.

I agree... that whole culture of the players-policing themselves through violence, has to change, somewhat. I think the IIHF have it about right. The vigilante justice culture out there needs turfing. Sure check the guy hard, get in his grill & annoy him, paste him to the boards. But keep the fists should stay holstered. Burt keep his gloves ON...he was trying to get the guy to stop & turn around. It was not a knock-out blow in my opinion. My fear is that some lame judge or Joe-citizen on a jury & not hockey players, coaches or referees, will be using the case as a means to send the league a message....instead of focusing directly on the facts & what transpired between just the immediate players on the ice.

To be a jury of his peers....the jury should be formed of people who play, watch & understand the culture of hockey. The chosen judge or any ury selection could be a very pivotal undertaking for both sides in this dispute.

Lol, at everyone who is saying this is Moore's fault. It doesn't matter what he did to Naslund, at the end of the day, Bertuzzi is still the one who decided skate over and punch him in the back of the head. In front of 18,000 witnesses. And millions more watching TV. Bertuzzi should be paying up when all is said and done.

Now, do I think Moore should get 68 million? Hell no! The fact that he's trying to claim he could have made that much over his career is laughable. If he just asked for a reasonable seven figure number, Bertuzzi and the Canucks would be writing him a check right now. Now he's going to drag it out and possibly torpedo his own case by going this route.

I agree that two wrongs don't make a right. The fact stands that Moore and Bert are the architects of the event. At the end of the day, Bert should and will pay. That said, Moore has dragged this out for selfish reasons and should not be lauded for being a victim or a spokesperson. He played like a rat, the Nazzy hit was Matt Cooke style hit, and that should be the comparable for is his career. Steve Moore is Matt Cooke. No one deserves what Moore got, it is too bad it happened, but at the end of the day, the video evidence does not lie. Bert initiated the event and his negligence did cause extra damage, but the dog pile after really did compound the injury. Fact! Lawyers are Dirtbags. Fact! Steve Moore has played up the injury. Fact! Bert has wanted to settle for years. Fact! The NHL wants the precedent set so it can move on with policy and Moore has stymied the process at every step. Fact! It was a needless event that could have been prevented.

Lol all you want, you smug chimp.

The fawking punk can walk. He got what was coming to him, even though he didn't want it. You don't want to get stomped, don't cheap shot the real players.

He should thank Bert for making him a household name, otherwise this douche nozzle would have faded into obscurity before he could finish saying waiver wire.

Yup he's going to have a few pay days,...the settlement or court judgement, ...the book deal,...and the movie deal...and the media promo-tours for all of that.

Bert is still a player...or he might have more time to counter that, someday. But he has generally accepted the consequencesof of his actions with accountability. Moore had refused compensation & assistance from the league previously. Of course Bert and the NHL would prefer that Steve accept a settlement, & accept the multiple apologies,... and finally attempt to get another or more healthy focus in his life...other than to villify 1 man for eternity.

Archived