The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks re-sign Kassian

Kassian and Jensen are two big keys tothis franchises short term success. If they can evolve into what we know they can be on a consistent basis the next two seasons we will make the playoffs. That's obviously a big if. They both showed signs of brilliance at times last season. We need guys who can put the team on their back and get the job done and not rely on the Sedins for everything .Our team only became elite once Kesler started doing this. Kassian has all the tools to be our next Kesler (in a much different role, granted) but if he can start making his linemates better then i have no doubt we can make the playoffs. I still remember that 3-4 game window when Kesler evolved into that first round pick. That is what we need from Kassian. And say what you want about Chicago, LA and Anaheim but Dallas competed with Anaheim last playoffs and most of the western teams aren't too far off. I think we can beat out Dallas. Heres to hoping...

Kassian and Jensen are two big keys tothis franchises short term success. If they can evolve into what we know they can be on a consistent basis the next two seasons we will make the playoffs. That's obviously a big if. They both showed signs of brilliance at times last season. We need guys who can put the team on their back and get the job done and not rely on the Sedins for everything .Our team only became elite once Kesler started doing this. Kassian has all the tools to be our next Kesler (in a much different role, granted) but if he can start making his linemates better then i have no doubt we can make the playoffs. I still remember that 3-4 game window when Kesler evolved into that first round pick. That is what we need from Kassian. And say what you want about Chicago, LA and Anaheim but Dallas competed with Anaheim last playoffs and most of the western teams aren't too far off. I think we can beat out Dallas. Heres to hoping...

Well with a firebrand like Vbrata on the team and Bonino hopefully continuing his potential I don't think we have to rely only on Jensen, Kass and the twins.

Vbrata excites me due not only his sniping gift but he is a rocket on the ice. We are talking MR speed here. If Burr also comes back to form we have a wide points base imo.

Also don't forget Vey has been more than a prolific points scorer in his terms with Manchester and Medicine Hat

Canucks now also have $5,000,556 in cap space to sign Tanev, Vey, and Weber. Will be very interesting to see how that breaks down and if it can fit under the cap.

My guess is JB wants Tanev to sign 2 years x $2.5 mill per. Vey at 2 years x $1.5 mill per. With that, have $1,000,556 in cap, sign Weber to $900K and have a few hundred thousand dollars of cap space.

Little much for Vey IMO. I think a prove yourself contract would be best for him too. 2 years at $850K/year? I have a feeling we're gonna package Hansen and Markstrom for a defenceman.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Jensen

Matthias/Richardson - Vey - Dorsett

Hamhuis - _____

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Miller

Lack

I really don't think Benning is done. The forwards are pretty jammed and we need a puck moving defenceman, and Markstrom would be lost for nothing if he's put on waivers.

This is great news. Only downside is the length. I would have wanted something like 2.2-2.5M per for 4 years.

All in all I am very happy with this.

2 years keeps him an RFA when the deal expires, which makes sense from an asset management perspective. If Kass improves and deserves a raise at the end of this deal, we can then sign him to a $4m+ long-term deal. I think we'd all love to have a future 60pt+ Kassian under contract for years to come.

We should be good with the other RFA's.

Tanev is probably worth anywhere between 2-4 Million.

Vey is worth under 1 Million, as is Weber.

So we should be fine.

2-4 Million for Tanev?!

He's worth 2-3 million at best, Tanev can walk if he's asking for 3 million or more. He's not worth over 2.75 million IMO.

Vey is worth under 1 million, anywhere from 850-950k. Weber is about 900k-1 million, so we should be good after the RFA signings.

2-4 Million for Tanev?!

He's worth 2-3 million at best, Tanev can walk if he's asking for 3 million or more. He's not worth over 2.75 million IMO.

Vey is worth under 1 million, anywhere from 850-950k. Weber is about 900k-1 million, so we should be good after the RFA signings.

Tanev was on our top pairing last season, and is a surefire top 4 defenseman at this stage.

Considering he is only 24, I do hope its a bridge deal like Kassian, which might push the price down, but somewhere in between 3-4 wouldn't be an overpayment at all IMO, as I said he's a top 4 dman, and top 4 dmen go for more than 2-3.

Anyways I hope his deal is 2 years and inbetween 2.5-3.5 Million. 2.75 as you suggested would be great on a bridge deal, then after that if he continues to progress and establish himself as a #2/3 guy (which I think is almost a guarantee) he can get 4+ with some term after this deal.

Poor attitude..the guy loves playing for the Canucks and the fans.

ya I dont know where he gets a poor attitude from. Kassian has been very lunchbox for us. Comes in plays with 5 different coaches in like 2 years. Hits fights scores never complains about mins. He didnt even complain when arniel the tool sat him and Schroeder in the ahl for a game.

Great attitude. Team player.

2 years keeps him an RFA when the deal expires, which makes sense from an asset management perspective. If Kass improves and deserves a raise at the end of this deal, we can then sign him to a $4m+ long-term deal. I think we'd all love to have a future 60pt+ Kassian under contract for years to come.

This is the best part of this contract,

HE IS STILL A RFA at the end of this term,

any longer and he would be a UFA and could sign anywhere.

Kass will be on this team for a very long time!

Great job by Benning!

Great term, great $. Pumped to have this leading to him being on the team for the next 5+ years!

Also, people talking about Tanev's $$. Subban was a 2.875mil cap hit the last two years. There is not a chance in hell Tanev deserves more than that. I would argue he doesn't deserve HALF of what Subban makes. 2mil per year, max is what he's worth right now.

Poor attitude..the guy loves playing for the Canucks and the fans.

You're on crack, he's been the most optimistic player on our team even though he's been shifting through every line, he's been showing a steady increase in his overall play and skill. Beast mode was entered during the last bit of the stretch. Give him a line with PROPER linemates rather then being on 4th line and watch him flourish.

Archived