The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign D Chris Tanev

Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning announced today that the club has re-signed Chris Tanev to a one-year contract.

Tanev, 24, collected a career high 17 points (6-11-17) and 8 penalty minutes in 64 games with the Canucks in 2013.14. He also tied for first on the Canucks in blocked shots (136). The 6’2”, 194-pound defenceman has accumulated 27 points (8-19-27) and 20 penalty minutes in 156 career NHL games.

The Toronto, Ontario native has played 10 career playoff games over the course of two postseason appearances, including three Stanley Cup Final games against Boston in 2011. Prior to his NHL career, Tanev led the R.I.T. Tigers of the Atlantic Hockey Association (AHA) to their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament and the Frozen Four Semi-Final.

Tanev was signed by Vancouver as a free agent on May 31, 2010.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725494&navid=DL|VAN|home

Wondering if it makes him UFA afterwards.

A lot on here may not like this but Tanev doesn't fit the profile of a defenseman JB ideally wants. I bet he's on his way out at some point soon.

I have that feeling as well. He needs to put on 25-30lbs. And that ain't gonna happen.

I have that feeling as well. He needs to put on 25-30lbs. And that ain't gonna happen.

Lol. Yup.

Listen I like Tanev but JB wants a certain type defenseman and Tanev isn't it. He isn't physical. He doesn't add much offensively. He does do a lot of things well and thinks the game very well, but his upside is limited.

Wonder if Myers rumors are real if Tanev is absolutely a piece now going back to BUF.

Lol. Yup.

Listen I like Tanev but JB wants a certain type defenseman and Tanev isn't it. He isn't physical. He doesn't add much offensively. He does do a lot of things well and thinks the game very well, but his upside is limited.

Wonder if Myers rumors are real if Tanev is absolutely a piece now going back to BUF.

The fact it is only a 1 year deal is what makes it so possible for just that

Not a good comp.

Krug has a proven track record of offensive production and now has done so at the highest level. Tanev likely has a 20 point ceiling and adds little physically either.

Why does physicality matter so long as he can keep the puck out of the net. He's by far our smartest defenseman

Why does physicality matter so long as he can keep the puck out of the net. He's by far our smartest defenseman

It matters to JB. That Boston D that beat us in the Final mauled our forwards at every chance and it was every one of 'em. Again...I like Tanev. I think he can play and I wouldn't mind him being here for a while but there are a lot of factors as to why he would possibly be moved.

Let me ask you this. If this one year deal comes in close to 3, let's say 2.75, and Tanev has another good defensive year and throws in 18-20 points (slight uptick from this past year) are you comfortable with paying him a deal that equates to maybe close or even right at 4 mil going long term? I assume the Tanev camp would use the recent deal Orpik signed as a comparable for a defensive defenseman and then come down from there. I personally do not want to pay a steady defenseman who adds nothing physically or offensively close to 4 mil per when maybe he can be a part of a package for a better defenseman or a scoring forward.

Archived