The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion and proposal Glut of forwards and bennings stamp

Soo Benning has in a week

Traded kes for 3 nice pieces (sbisa, bonino, mccann)

Bought out a overpaid bum in booth

Got rid of a large contract in garrison for a younger offensive winger in vey

Drafted best and one of youngest in last yrs draft (virtanen is a steal)

Brought in vet goalie for free and a top six winger in vrbata

Signed kassian 2yrs 3.5 m tanev 1yr 2.0m

so im loving these moves but i think a trade or two are coming

Because we have 20 forwards fights for 13 spots

Ok ill start with right wingers.

1st line rw Vrbata (benning said hed play with sedins)

2nd rw kassian break out yr

3rd rw vey offensive upside

4rw dorsett banger wrecking ball

Odd man out hansen

Young guns trying to steal a spot (jensen, fox)

Centers

Sedin 1st

Bonino 2nd

Horvat3rd

Mattias 4th ( he can play wing as well so he could play ona nice line with kassian or vey or both)

Odd man out richardson

Young guns also trying to steal a spot (fox,gaunce)

left wingers

Sedin 1st

Burrows2nd

Higgins 3rd

Sestito 4th tom will probably be our 13th forward

Young guys trying ti steal a job (jensen, shinkaruk, kenins) kenins will make team. I predict

So burrrows wont lift his no trade clause we are stuck with him i think richardson and hansen are gone in trades id love us to sign ufa Lance bouma to a 4th line center gig he was hardest working flame last yr shot blocks with a broken foot. Love his character

We have one extra goalie in markstrom that needs trading as well as hansen richarson and possibly tanev thats 6.9 in cap space plus the 2 we have left we need a puck moving gritty dman and a too six lwer any idea who we shoudl target

richardson is a perfect 4th line center......if horvat can make it fine but i think they have a team to play and afford their prospects time to be ready....if jensen makes the team, i would think sestito will be moved...benning has said he'll make changes if this line up can't get it done....he has already changed 6 guys....great start....they feel it will take them 2 or 3 years to be where they want to be.....

As others have said Richi is a very valuable piece. Good at facaeoffs, works hard had a lot of chemistry with Matthias and Kassian last year.

That line was real good for a few weeks.

I agree we have too many right wingers, and I also think Kenins will push for a spot.

Assuming Vey is ahead of Hansen is a bit of a stretch. Vey is a kid entering his 4th year as a pro & has run out of waver eligibility. He got his 1st NHL action last year & has yet to score an NHL goal.

He's basically this years version of Dalpe & will probably have a similar impact.

Somehow we need to put together a checking line & unless Burrows is the RW shut down guy, Hansen looks to be far & away our best bet.

In the next 2-3 years, the Sedins will become our second line and all the vets (Higgins, Hansen, Richardson, Burrows, etc..) will be moved to accommodate our youth while gathering yet more picks or prospects. In the next 2-3 years we are gonna have a lot of quality youth coming up and taking over. Both forwards and D-men.

TL and JB are not making a Stanley Cup team out of vets for next year. They would like very much to ice a team good enough to make the playoffs, giving needed experience to our current youth, while waiting for the kids of tomorrow to take over the jobs of today. When that happens they will then be in a position to ice a team to compete for the Stanley Cup.

TL and JB are not gonna give away our youth unless they get more youth back. So far its only been Vets that are being moved, or talked about being moved. There are however the Sedins, Bieksa, Hamuis and Edler which seem to be the core that TL and JB keep talking about, and I think they would like them to be here when they are hopefully, competing for the Cup in 2-3 years.

Next year is not gonna be too exciting except for the improved coaching, work ethic and new players to watch.

How the hell is Virtanen a steal? Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl and Dal Colle were all supposed to go b4 him and I never saw him once go in the top 5 in any mock draft.

McCann is a steal.

Virtanen is 8 months younger than reinhart and bennett. 8months is a huge difference if he was 3weeks older hed be only available in next yrs draft plus hes the fasted skater in chl and has a mans body at 17

Virtanen is 8 months younger than reinhart and bennettmonths is a huge difference if he was 3weeks older hed be only available in next yrs draft plus hes the fasted skater in chl

lol.

being eight months younger than a player doesn't make you a steal more than the player after you.

I agree. Love the moves Benning has made so far.

Also agree with your depth chart but with a minor tweak. I think Richardson will be 4C, Matthias will be 4L and Sestito will be 13th forward. Richardson played his role perfectly last year and I would hope that Benning wouldn't get rid of him. To be honest, I think Matthias might be the odd man out because I see him as more of an offensive guy who would be better suited on the 2nd or 3rd line (but no room there), but we'll see how it all shakes out

I like the idea of Fox having a chance to steal a spot on the 4th line, adding a scoring dimension to the bottom 6. that would probably mean bumping Mathias to LW (Dorsett is a lock on RW) and Sestito out. I like that he's been described as having 'agitating' qualities and plays with an edge.

Fox's scoring touch could possibly bump him ahead of Richardson/Lain/Gaunce. Plus having him in the shootout. Scoring.that tangible intangible.

We shall see!

Archived