The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Shopping Jacob Markstrom - 3 Teams Interested

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=10004789&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3a+canwest%2fF6949+(The+Province+-+Canucks+%2f+Hockey)

The Tanev and Kassian signings leave the Canucks with $2.1 million in cap space and just RFA Linden Vey still to sign. Vey's qualifying offer was $735,000.

That cap space will bump up to more than $3 million when the Canucks work out the Jacob Markstrom situation. It's believed Markstrom, who wants to play in the NHL with his $1.2 million cap hit, asked for the Canucks to trade him if they can after the Ryan Miller signing.

The Canucks have explored trades and there is interest from at least three teams.

"That situation could work itself out over the summer," [Jim] Benning said. "The teams that are interested may have to move out another guy."

"We're exploring that for Jacob. But if that doesn't happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation."

"Look at Minnesota last year. They went through about five goalies."

http://youtu.be/nhlxMVq3xMk

Tanev's signing was announced a day after Zack Kassian agreed to a two-year, $3.5-million deal, wrapping up what was one of the most furious nine days of transactions in Canucks history.

During that span, Benning has obviously initiated a new "get 'er done" resolve in Vancouver, which earned a plodding, passive reputation under Mike Gillis.

As an example, the Tanev situation this summer is nearly identical to what it was last off-season, but under Gillis he wasnt signed until Aug. 22. And both negotiations where led by assistant GM Laurence Gilman.

"I don't know what their approach was before I got here," Benning said. "I like to try to get things done so we know where we stand, and the players know where they stand, so they can concentrate on getting ready for the season and they don't have things to worry about."

NO! Do not trade a Gillis acquisition Benning! Benning is an idiot for trading all of Gillis' future pieces.. He's destroying the future of this team! Markstrom will be a star! Trade Miller not Markstrom.

Your schtick....it's not funny

NO! Do not trade a Gillis acquisition Benning! Benning is an idiot for trading all of Gillis' future pieces.. He's destroying the future of this team! Markstrom will be a star! Trade Miller not Markstrom.

Time to put down the crack pipe my friend.

I don't agree with moving Markstrom but there is no room for him.

Miller signed for three years will have Lack ready by than with Demko probaly emerging by then with all hopes, Markstrom is the odd man out. Honestly i wish we just stuck with Lack and Markstrom tandem instead.

Bugger off.

Hmm interesting.

If Markstrom is indeed moved, Canucks would have 3 million in cap space.

Add potentially a Hansen/Tanev contract, along with draft picks and Vancouver would have enough

cap room to trade for another top 6 forward or top 4 dman.

Let's see what Benning does, a lot of teams will be close/over the cap in the next week or two.

Who needs McDavid when you have Verbatim and Miller? 9th in the west instead of a top 5 pick this year. Thanks Benning great job.

Even without those signings the Canucks would not be bad enough to finish 30th in the league.

You're right on one thing though, Benning has done a great job so far!

Archived