The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Shopping Jacob Markstrom - 3 Teams Interested

It sucks that Markstrom never even got an opportunity to play or prove himself...A very promising asset likely to be practically given away..Makes the Lou trade even worse.

It's unfortunate that Markstrom has go to through waivers. if not, he'd clearly be in the organization.

deniro flip flops around like a fish out of water.

the guy changes opinions back and forth between completely contradictory viewpoints constantly and does so with a completely unjust self-assuredness and vigor. its ridiculous.

he just likes the sound of his own voice.

Perhaps another team interested could be the Florida Panthers, now that Thomas is gone, and their backup at present is a competition between Montoya and Dan Ellis.

That is, unless Luongo insisted as part of waiving to go there that they must move Markstrom, because the risk of yet another young goaltender outplaying him would be simply too much.

To the Panthers for Alex Petrovic.

Perhaps another team interested could be the Florida Panthers, now that Thomas is gone, and their backup at present is a competition between Montoya and Dan Ellis.

That is, unless Luongo insisted as part of waiving to go there that they must move Markstrom, because the risk of yet another young goaltender outplaying him would be simply too much.

i could see toronto being interested after moving reimer.

I see two scenarios for Markstrom:

1) Packaged in a trade for a top six forward or top four defenceman

2) We send him to Utica and pray no one claims him

Did you not read the post the claimed 3 teams were interested? I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting him without giving up assets.

I'm just really curious, what happened to Markstrom's development? As many people have said he was touted as the best goalie prospect. He's still really young of course but it must be something with FLA's system which I thought from Matthias was just trying to develop their young guns

Yes he still as real good upside but by comparison to a top goalie like Schneider, Schneider's stats have been consistently getting better or maintained a really good stat line as the years have progressed(5 years before hitting NHL), whereas Markstrom has been all over the place

What teams? Philly maybe?

They have Emery and Mason but they could move one of those guys for a Markstorm. Markstorm hopefully finds his game and can be the starter till Stolarz. That could happen but I don't see them getting rid of Emery or Mason.

Petrovic would be a great return for Markstrom, but would Florida do a one-for-one, or would we have to add more?

I don't think there would be an issue with Markstrom going there, as far as Lu is concerned. Lu wanted to go there badly enough that he was in no position to make demands from them.

i could see toronto being interested after moving reimer.

I think that could certainly make sense - that he'd be the type of young goaltender that would fit there after moving Reimer (and having moved Scrivens) - but I have to wonder how they'll manage to deal Reimer's rights. They'll be in a tight spot not re-signing him, and if they do, they'll have to commit capspace - while they have less than 14 million to sign 8 players...

I don't know if dealing him anytime soon is in the cards.

They have been shopping him hard and haven't found any takers. Like their attempts to move their captain, or sign just about anyone on the UFA market, no one appears to want to do business with them.

Dreger has had to admit that there's a very small market for Reimer, particularly with the manner in which the Leafs try to ridiculously overvalue him (and at the same time, devalue him quite regularly and publicly). That's the problem with speaking out of both sides of their mouths - on one hand attempting to peddle his trade value, on the other conducting their contract negotiations publicly and trying to moderate his value.

Kinda adds up to a Mickey Mouse approach imo.

There is an extremely comical quote from Dreger where he actually said that the Leafs don't move him for Yakupov (as if they could have even have engaged in a conversation to deal Reimer for Yakupov - let alone be taken seriously - and then turn the deal down lol.)

What would we want for Markstrom? Would we be willing to take Nylander? muahahaha

I'm just really curious, what happened to Markstrom's development? As many people have said he was touted as the best goalie prospect. He's still really young of course but it must be something with FLA's system which I thought from Matthias was just trying to develop their young guns

Yes he still as real good upside but by comparison to a top goalie like Schneider, Schneider's stats have been consistently getting better or maintained a really good stat line as the years have progressed(5 years before hitting NHL), whereas Markstrom has been all over the place

I think it's similar to what happened to Gudbranson. Not handled terribly well, thrown in over his head on a struggling team, a few setbacks with injury - but still a great young talent who may be slightly undervalued in the present, and nevertheless still retains value as both an attractive asset to take a chance on and difficult to want to give up on or move.

deniro flip flops around like a fish out of water.

the guy changes opinions back and forth between completely contradictory viewpoints constantly and does so with a completely unjust self-assuredness and vigor. its ridiculous.

he just likes the sound of his own voice.

First of all we're on an internet forum, so me liking the sound of my own voice makes no sense. :lol:

Second of all, my opinion about signing Miller hasn't changed. I wanted him on a two year deal because that would have been ideal for Lack to take over in 2 years or less.

Having him for 3 years, and holding onto Markstrom doesn't make sense. Now there's nothing they can do but give him away or put him on waivers. Just a waste of an asset in Markstrom.

And even if my opinion does change, so what? I have that ability, do you? I would question the intelligence level of a person who didn't have the ability to change their opinions based on new knowledge and perspectives.

I've heard about that too but I believe it's false. You can't send down players in the off-season either if they are waiver eligible.

I'm pretty sure you can as long as it's 12 days before the opening of the season and then it ends the day after a team's season ends. That is the "waiver period", outside the waiver period you can send players down and they do not have to clear waivers. That means we could see Markstrom play a couple of pre-season games and make the decision to send him down before September 26th and we wouldn't have to worry about a team claiming him on waivers as long as he was assigned to Utica before the 26th.

Petrovic would be a great return for Markstrom, but would Florida do a one-for-one, or would we have to add more?

I don't think there would be an issue with Markstrom going there, as far as Lu is concerned. Lu wanted to go there badly enough that he was in no position to make demands from them.

Yeah. I can see Van and Florida doing a trade for Markstrom. I can't see the Canucks adding more pieces for Petrovic, though. It's a one for one deal, or no deal. I can see Philly taking a gamble on Markstrom too.

I've got a feeling that Markstrom is going to succeed, and Canucks are going to regret trading him away.

The Luo part was kind of a joke, but as far as Petovic's value - hard to say what they'd consider it to be relative to Markstrom, but I personally value them both fairly highly and think it would be a good hockey trade considering all the high end blueline talent they have (as well as down the middle). Petrovic is a guy who may wind up buried in the mix with Gudbranson, Kulikov, Ekblad, Olson, Robak, Matheson....

First of all we're on an internet forum, so me liking the sound of my own voice makes no sense. :lol:

Second of all, my opinion about signing Miller hasn't changed. I wanted him on a two year deal because that would have been ideal for Lack to take over in 2 years or less.

Having him for 3 years, and holding onto Markstrom doesn't make sense. Now there's nothing they can do but give him away or put him on waivers. Just a waste of an asset in Markstrom.

And even if my opinion does change, so what? I have that ability, do you? I would question the intelligence level of a person who didn't have the ability to change their opinions based on new knowledge and perspectives.

it just makes it impossible to take anything you say seriously, that's all.

I think that could certainly make sense - that he'd be the type of young goaltender that would fit there after moving Reimer (and having moved Scrivens) - but I have to wonder how they'll manage to deal Reimer's rights. They'll be in a tight spot not re-signing him, and if they do, they'll have to commit capspace - while they have less than 14 million to sign 8 players...

I don't know if dealing him anytime soon is in the cards.

They have been shopping him hard and haven't found any takers. Like their attempts to move their captain, or sign just about anyone on the UFA market, no one appears to want to do business with them.

Dreger has had to admit that there's a very small market for Reimer, particularly with the manner in which the Leafs try to ridiculously overvalue him (and at the same time, devalue him quite regularly and publicly). That's the problem with speaking out of both sides of their mouths - on one hand attempting to peddle his trade value, on the other conducting their contract negotiations publicly and trying to moderate his value.

Kinda adds up to a Mickey Mouse approach imo.

There is an extremely comical quote from Dreger where he actually said that the Leafs don't move him for Yakupov (as if they could have even have engaged in a conversation to deal Reimer for Yakupov - let alone be taken seriously - and then turn the deal down lol.)

What would we want for Markstrom? Would we be willing to take Nylander? muahahaha

reimer filed for arbitration. my guess is the leafs look for a trade partner up until the day of the arb ruling and if they don't find one they'll just walk away and let him become ufa.

it just makes it impossible to take anything you say seriously, that's all.

Then don't respond to my posts if you think I have nothing to offer to this forum, simple as that.

I'd like to think there's posters on here that do enjoy my input. Based on the feedback I get, I think there is.

Archived