The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surprise for Kesler and Bonino

Canuckseeesh

While I do agree Kesler is a better player with a huge drive to win, some people should really take this into consideration when deciding whether or not we won the Kes deal.

A lot of argument against this trade is that Bonino's stats were padded by playing on an elite team.

Well don't we remember the span where Kesler played with the Sedins, including the PP? Now i'm not sure what the outcome might have been if he hadn't played with the twins, but judging from the past it's pretty safe to say that everyone who plays with the twins will produce career high in points.

In sum, I'm really expecting people to be surprised not only at Kesler's lack of production(from expectations) in ana, but also that if Bonino does indeed get some time with the twins, Kesler's presence will not be missed

Boninwho was a bad acquisition. Should have got Etem instead

and if ANA didn't want to give up Etem we should've just gone into the season with a disgruntled Kesler. Possibly try and trade him at the trade deadline again only to ANA who again doesn't want to give up Etem, leaving us with Kesler for another season, now we're at the draft with his trade value being decreased because he only has 1 year left on his contract and in the end possibly getting even less than a package of a 1st round pick, Sbisa, Bonino and a 3rd round pick. and finally going into the following season with only 2 options, trading him for less than market value or letting him walk for nothing. Smart.

The Ducks didn't acquire Kesler because they want him to get more points than Bonino in the regular season.... they already have a bunch of guys that can do that. The Ducks gave up what they did because he is a monster in the playoffs where they have struggled the past two years.

While I do agree Kesler is a better player with a huge drive to win, some people should really take this into consideration when deciding whether or not we won the Kes deal.

A lot of argument against this trade is that Bonino's stats were padded by playing on an elite team.

Well don't we remember the span where Kesler played with the Sedins, including the PP? Now i'm not sure what the outcome might have been if he hadn't played with the twins, but judging from the past it's pretty safe to say that everyone who plays with the twins will produce career high in points.

In sum, I'm really expecting people to be surprised not only at Kesler's lack of production(from expectations) in ana, but also that if Bonino does indeed get some time with the twins, Kesler's presence will not be missed

That's not safe to say at all.

Klatt, King (The Matress Line), Naslund, Samuelsson, Pyatt did very little with them. Even Bertuzzi had some pretty significant time with them and did very little.

Burrows and Carter (The Brother Line) are the only two to really break out with them.

These are all guys that played with them for long enough to develop chemistry. Lots of others were tried here and there with no success. Cooke comes to mind but that may have just been PP.

Not true. If you have followed around the Canucks for a while, you would know how many wingers we have tried to play with the Sedins, and only two ever did well. Anson Carter and Burrows. If just anybody racks up points with the Sedins, then we can just put in any plug with them yes? who needs a 'legit winger'? You are right though, Kesler did well when we had the Ehrhoff, Sedins, Salo, Kesler PP going in 2011, and other then that, he has been a big boulder on that 2nd line, not being able to play with anyone due to his me-first, hard-nosed style of play.

Another good reason to trade Kesler now is the fact that he is injured a lot, and now that he is in his 30's, those injuries are going to hinder him even more then the last couple seasons. I am happy we have a player like Bonino to rebuild that second line around. I will miss Kesler in the playoffs, but it wont matter much since we aren't going to be there much. We both did good from the deal.

The Ducks didn't acquire Kesler because they want him to get more points than Bonino in the regular season.... they already have a bunch of guys that can do that. The Ducks gave up what they did because he is a monster in the playoffs where they have struggled the past two years.

Monster???? Lol.

ok yeah, lemme re-tract that statement about players having "career highs" with the sedins. but I still feel that without the sedins this year Kesler might not have looked so good

True. You could in theory say it about Burrows though. He has had great success with the Sedins, without them, I doubt he would have got that 4.5million for 4 years with a NTC.

Monster???? Lol.

Absolutely he is. I know some here claim he only had one good series and that's horescrap.

In 2011 he was our MVP

He made Toews damn near cry on national TV because he shut down him and Kane.

Nashville is legendary

He sustained a horrible muscle tear against San Jose game 5 and went back out and tied the game in the dying seconds on one leg Yzerman style.

I give him a pass against Boston. That was the worst kind of injury a player like that could get, yet he kept going seven games.

We can hate him, we can hope he fails because he left us but he is a warrior on the ice. Making stuff up or erasing his contributions will not change that. Ducks did well to get him and they are a more dangerous team for it.

Archived