The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV - time one of the best Canuck coaches in history got some respect

Canuckler87

During his time here he was much maligned & many of his moves questioned. But this last season should have made us realize the value of great coaching. A good team without a good coach simply does not go too far in a season. Say what you want about AV, but the guy had some amazing seasons as head coach here and only missed the playoffs once.

Two presidents trophys, Stanley Cup Final, and a Jack Adams award as Canucks head coach. Cannot say I always agreed with the guy but now I realize how big a difference he was. Last season was such boring hockey to watch. Brutal. Atleast for a time under AV's tenure, we were the highest scoring team in the league.

Great sense of humor, great ability to adapt coaching strategy (was a defensive coach at first but as team got more offensive talent, adapted to that style) and a guy who knew how to pile up the wins. Say what you want about the guy but nobodies perfect. His Aaron Rome fascination and how he treated Hodgson raised some eyebrows. But let's face it, Hodgson was a diva.

Here's to AV. Great Canucks coach, second only to Pat Quinn in my opinion.

AV did an excellent job as coach for the Canucks. But like most coaches (but not all), I believe his message got stale over time and a change needed to be made. This is not a criticism of AV as a coach, his time was simply over here.

I have great respect for what AV accomplished in Vancouver.

Hey guys, I completely agree it is great to show respect to the past, and coach AV did wonderful things here, I'm not taking any of that away from him, but I think it was Bieksa who said it best.

We can't keep living in the past, we need to focus on here and now.

AV joined us in 2006 and was with us till 2013. I agree the wrong man got canned, but changes were needed. Just because Tortorella was terrible, doesnt mean we should have kept AV. I am not against AV by any means, I just think that what happened needed to happen, and now that is all in the past. We're under completely new Management, (same owners, different Managers) and the past is the past. Lets look forward to a great future on GMJB, TL and WD!

GO Canucks GO!

AV was a good coach but his Achilles heel (aaron rome) cost us the finals(the hit on horton). also it was definatley time to move on because the canucks didnt play with heart for the last season and a half that AV was there. i loved the stuff he accomplished when he was here though. burrows overtime game winner against chicago in game 7 was the greatest moment of my life lol.

During his time here he was much maligned & many of his moves questioned. But this last season should have made us realize the value of great coaching. A good team without a good coach simply does not go too far in a season. Say what you want about AV, but the guy had some amazing seasons as head coach here and only missed the playoffs once.

Two presidents trophys, Stanley Cup Final, and a Jack Adams award as Canucks head coach. Cannot say I always agreed with the guy but now I realize how big a difference he was. Last season was such boring hockey to watch. Brutal. Atleast for a time under AV's tenure, we were the highest scoring team in the league.

Great sense of humor, great ability to adapt coaching strategy (was a defensive coach at first but as team got more offensive talent, adapted to that style) and a guy who knew how to pile up the wins. Say what you want about the guy but nobodies perfect. His Aaron Rome fascination and how he treated Hodgson raised some eyebrows. But let's face it, Hodgson was a diva.

Agree completely!

I was an AV hater...I still kind of am and used to feel the same but its hard to argue when he takes the Rangers to the finals.

Tortorella on the other hand...not sure what happened to that guy.

We looked pretty awesome until Dec (Even better than when we had AV AND we had a crappier roster than with AV to boot)

Next season will be interesting.

Dude any CDCer could have won those accolades behind that bench. That team was stacked. AV should be remembered for costing us a cup, not getting us close to one

Stacked, maybe but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. To take away any credit from AV would be unfair. He did win the Jack Adams for a reason. I don't think the NHL is dumb enough to hand out the Jack Adams to just any random coach.

Also, so what if the team was stacked? Who was the coach that oversaw the development of all those players? Even before joining the Canucks, AV was in charge of developing guys like Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa in the AHL with the Manitoba Moose. After he came to Vancouver he slowly implemented an offensive system that allowed the Sedins to flourish. I would argue that AV was a huge part of the 2011 run simply because he helped to develop our key players. Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows were all key parts of the 2011 playoffs who had spent many years learning from AV.

good post, AV was great here....it didnt take him long to carry his success ways over to his new team, i was hoping the rangers could bring him the cup...all the best to him...hopefully willie can bring the nux back around to an exciting team to watch again.

AV was a solid coach and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for what he did here. it was his time to go and being honest him making the finals is more to do with thr east not being as tough as the west overall and he got lucky that montreal beat the bruins as I dont think the rangers would have

Totally agree. A career stunted by an arrogant and often incompetent GM imo. I would love to have seen what AV would do under a GM like Benning.

I was an AV hater...I still kind of am and used to feel the same but its hard to argue when he takes the Rangers to the finals.

Tortorella on the other hand...not sure what happened to that guy.

We looked pretty awesome until Dec (Even better than when we had AV AND we had a crappier roster than with AV to boot)

Next season will be interesting.

Go youtube some Tortorella videos and you will see that he never should have been brought here. The guy has self destruct written all over him. Brooks called it standing outside the pre season press conference in Vancouver. The guy can waffle as much as he likes about changing but he has only one style of coaching and media presentation.

Archived