The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do other hockey fans view the Canucks?

mike0099

Is he one of those people who has never been to the city for which the team plays in? I've seen so many of those so called RedWings fans (or whatever team fans) who have never been to Detroit and in all likeliness, will never go there in there lifetime. Not only that, they have no attachment whatsoever with the city of Detroit or the team.

I have seen some people that cheer for the team for which his father cheers for. For example, a guy cheers for the Canadiens because his father is a quebecois from Montreal. This, I understand. But when you have no attachment to the team in any way... how can you ever become a diehard fan?

For some strange reason he just likes the capitals. Its weird, probably his fav player is ovi.

Is he one of those people who has never been to the city for which the team plays in? I've seen so many of those so called RedWings fans (or whatever team fans) who have never been to Detroit and in all likeliness, will never go there in there lifetime. Not only that, they have no attachment whatsoever with the city of Detroit or the team.

I have seen some people that cheer for the team for which his father cheers for. For example, a guy cheers for the Canadiens because his father is a quebecois from Montreal. This, I understand. But when you have no attachment to the team in any way... how can you ever become a diehard fan?

Eh, if they're a loyal fan (not a bandwagoner) I don't see the problem. My dad's a Chicago fan because he was a big fan of Tony Esposito growing up and has stuck with the team through the good years and the absolute garbage years.

Most of HF seems to think highly of Benning and the way he's reloaded our prospect pool, but they also think we're no where near contenders and beefing up our squad this year is shooting ourselves in the foot.I don't think A Sedin-Bonino one-two punch is going to scare anybody in the West.

As a Flames fan, I think the Canucks are under more competent leadership now for sure.

I respect the Sedins, Hamhuis, and I think the future looks bright for Shinkaruk and Virtanen.

I find Burrows is not as bad now that he is a bit older, but still have a hard time respecting a guy who turtles and runs from so many altercations that his own mouth caused.

I am glad they got rid of Kesler, he was a good antagonist, but his diving and embelshing and ref barking was terrible.

Overall I see the Canucks as being in a transition stage, hopefully they can build a strong new core with their prospects, and hopefully too so can Calgary, and a rivalry may ensue again.

Overall I see the Canucks organization in a much more positive light then say from the 07-11 years, when they had a whole bunch of divers and the like.

I hope the Sedins finish off their careers in a positive light, and the Canucks youth are able to devolop.

Living is southern Ontario it is a strong mix of redwing and laughs fans. In General Detroit is more positive on the canucks and have a lot more respect for the Sedins. I think that is just the Swedish factor. But in general laughs think our team is a tank job

We will always be hated win or lose.

Do a survey across Canada on what they believe to be the least Canadian city and Vancouver will win. Even if you put Old Quebec city on the list and they want to separate. (no snow is far less Canadian than treason)

The media reflects this and continues to poison our reputation. This also seeps into the states and it's a losing scenario. Our own media wont even defend our team against them. Garrett is the only guy who tries and he just gets drowned out as a homer.

So, screw 'em. Embrace the hate. Cant change it, so enjoy watching when we beat their hater asses.

For the most part, I don't think people in the East really know or care much about the Western Conference in general because of the time zone difference. During my time out there, I was always in rough shape at work whenever the Canucks played at home or in California because the games started at 10pm Eastern time and usually didn't end until 12:30-1am.

I will say that I noticed a huge difference in attitude between Montréalers and Torontonians when it came to me being a Canucks fan.

Montréalers had no issue with it, respected the fact that I was loyal to my team and the city I came from. My friends at the time would watch Canucks games with me (and they were impressed with the speed difference between East and West) after the Habs game was over. I can't recall anyone saying a bad word about me for being a Canucks fan in Montréal.

Toronto was completely different. Torontonians my age (and older) still believe that Toronto is "the centre of the (hockey) universe" and that the Leafs are "Canada's team" by default. I'm told that younger Torontonians don't share that view because they've grown up in a more "globalized" culture, but the ones I met were simply less hardcore in their belief that the Leafs are "Canada's team".

I've had random strangers yell hostilities at me in public for wearing just a Canucks hat and T-shirt (or hoodie) while in Toronto; I'm not just talking about being in a bar with friends or relatives and being accosted by other patrons, I'm talking about just standing around at a bus terminal on my way to work.

That said, I'm under the impression that hostility is not aimed at Vancouver or the Canucks specifically—in other words, fans of other Canadian teams would like have the same experience (perhaps worse for Habs and Sens fans).

Pretty simple really.

It's not a coincidence that it's the fans of teams we've regular feasted on over the last 8 or 9 years that hate us. Just like Canuck fans hate the teams that we can't beat.

When you're really good, you're hated.

Which is why there'll be a lot of love coming the Canucks way over the next 5 years as this team transitions to the type of team fans and management want to see.

I don't really care much. Unless you're a big fan of the Nucks you really can't have an understanding of what's going on here. I doubt most non fans get why Kes didn't get a humongous return or why Garrison was traded for a low pick. They wouldn't understand that many Nuck players were injured and/or playing terribly last season and that the team will likely improve.

It's part of hockey to 'hate' other teams. Nuck fans 'hate' right back at them. I put hate in quotes, because I think most people understand that it's just a game and the diehard fans don't represent the mindset of an entire population.

For the most part, I don't think people in the East really know or care much about the Western Conference in general because of the time zone difference. During my time out there, I was always in rough shape at work whenever the Canucks played at home or in California because the games started at 10pm Eastern time and usually didn't end until 12:30-1am.

I will say that I noticed a huge difference in attitude between Montréalers and Torontonians when it came to me being a Canucks fan.

Montréalers had no issue with it, respected the fact that I was loyal to my team and the city I came from. My friends at the time would watch Canucks games with me (and they were impressed with the speed difference between East and West) after the Habs game was over. I can't recall anyone saying a bad word about me for being a Canucks fan in Montréal.

Toronto was completely different. Torontonians my age (and older) still believe that Toronto is "the centre of the (hockey) universe" and that the Leafs are "Canada's team" by default. I'm told that younger Torontonians don't share that view because they've grown up in a more "globalized" culture, but the ones I met were simply less hardcore in their belief that the Leafs are "Canada's team".

I've had random strangers yell hostilities at me in public for wearing just a Canucks hat and T-shirt (or hoodie) while in Toronto; I'm not just talking about being in a bar with friends or relatives and being accosted by other patrons, I'm talking about just standing around at a bus terminal on my way to work.

That said, I'm under the impression that hostility is not aimed at Vancouver or the Canucks specifically—in other words, fans of other Canadian teams would like have the same experience (perhaps worse for Habs and Sens fans).

One of the best times I've ever had at a Canucks game was when I took my young son to a game a few years back when the Habs were in town.

There were a huge number of Habs fans at the game that night and they were sitting all around us in the section we were in. As you say, contrary to obnoxious Leafs fans that come out to see their hero's, we had a blast with the Habs fans as they sang out loud and toasted a few beers. My kid was laughing out loud at some of the fun antics he saw.

This never happens when the Leafs come to town.

One of the best times I've ever had at a Canucks game was when I took my young son to a game a few years back when the Habs were in town.

There were a huge number of Habs fans at the game that night and they were sitting all around us in the section we were in. As you say, contrary to obnoxious Leafs fans that come out to see their hero's, we had a blast with the Habs fans as they sang out loud and toasted a few beers. My kid was laughing out loud at some of the fun antics he saw.

This never happens when the Leafs come to town.

Ugh, if you think Leafs fans are obnoxious away from Toronto, imagine what they're like in Toronto itself. Some of the things I've heard Leafs fans say in person (as opposed to on the Internet) goes beyond anything I've read here on CDC. And that's saying something.

How do ducks fan view the kesler trade?

One of the guys I work with is a big Ducks fan, he was upset they traded Bonino because he really liked him, but on first reaction he thinks the trade is fair for both teams.

Hmmm, The Sedins will always be hated you say...hated?

Those are strong words. Hate for being honest & respectful, gentleman... and almost saintly. Go figure? Well...looking back on those who were named saints from past history...I guess that's par for the course & to be expected, huh? Will their martyrdom be enough of a sacrifice for you?

And I suppose those players who are violent, dis-respectful, & dirt;bag villians...these guys doing the head-huntin' crap like demons...these are supposedly the players that people love...right? Hmmm.

I'm just wondering what alternate-universe you live in. :huh:

Sedins hated...good grief!! :o That's just so whacked!

I say love hockey & those who honor the game. Hate cruel actions & dirty deeds. Remove despicable cheap-shots & the unecessary violence from the game.. and the Sedins would rule - again.

Actually, I live in Toronto, surrounded by fans of all teams, and the one common thing they like to do is make fun of the Sedins.

so saying the Sedins are hated isnt far off at all. They've gotten zero respect their whole careers.

Ugh, if you think Leafs fans are obnoxious away from Toronto, imagine what they're like in Toronto itself. Some of the things I've heard Leafs fans say in person (as opposed to on the Internet) goes beyond anything I've read here on CDC. And that's saying something.

Most Leafs fans here are pretty good. I have a great time going to Leafs and Marlies games in my Canucks jersey.

Where Buffalo on the other hand is full of idiots who want to fight anyone wearing the opposing team's jersey, and yell about how stupid Canadians are.

Most Leafs fans here are pretty good. I have a great time going to Leafs and Marlies games in my Canucks jersey.

Where Buffalo on the other hand is full of idiots who want to fight anyone wearing the opposing team's jersey, and yell about how stupid Canadians are.

dude !! you try living in buffalo !!! Give those poor people a break !

I just moved back to the West Coast after ten years in Toronto. That does not match my experience at all. I'm not saying all Leafs fans are awful, but there's a lot of bad ones who are beyond insufferable, especially those who genuinely believe in the myth that the Leafs are "Canada's team".

I personally think the media made the Canucks out to be the bad guys over the last few years and eventually perception becomes reality. Ron Wilson, Mike Milbury and the like perpetuated a few incidents and ran with them. It makes for good TV.

I love what Willie D said when a reporter recently started off a question with something like "now that the Sedins are no longer elite players...." Willie cut him off and said "They are still elite players" I thought finally.

This regime is respected. Linden, Benning, Willie D.... they have earned some respect around the league. This will help.

I love Burrows passion and he has done a lot for this team. But sadly I think he would be the last of the players left that were wrongly persecuted by the media in my opinion. It may be best to move him, not only for that reason, but it maybe best for a number of reasons. The Sedins will always be knocked by some. I for one respect their play and their dedication to this city. Everyone who doesn't see that isn't being objective. They were never meant to be or claimed to be physical players. They were never surrounded by the right team mates who should have done this for them. Like the Bruins et al.

I live in Edmonton, and the amount of trash I get every day for being a Canucks fan is over and above the tolerable limit. It seems as if Oilers fans are totally indulgent when it comes to making fun of the Canucks. I do get sick of it. However, when you try to talk to them and try to share your opinion, they blatantly bring up the "How many cups do you have?" question. A lousy organization with possibly the worst fans in the league.

My cousins are flames fans and they are obsesed with hateing the canucks. For them is bigger that we fail than the flames win. Even now in the summer they bring up garbage on facebook and twitter against the sedins or burrows. Pathetic flames fan i swear :lol:

Archived