The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Tanking" our best option?

KingAlex

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

connor-mcdavid.jpgimg_0060.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1
062514eichel.jpg?itok=e2TEm9am&c=e76bde1

Connor McDavid, Matthew Barzal and Jack EIchel are the top 3 center prospects going in to the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. But should the Canucks "tank" this upcoming season to get one of these coveted prospects?

Why "tank"?
The Canucks are in desperate need for a prospect that can fill the 1st line center duties when Hank is either gone or declining. There are very limited ways to get a young 1st line center. Either via trade, draft or an incredible underdog story from a signing. Drafting seems like the best route for the Canucks to take because no assets are needed to be given up.

But the Canucks are a playoff team!
The Canucks can very well contend for a spot and squeeze their way in, but here is the million dollar question: Would you rather be proud that your Canucks made the playoffs this year or would you rather have the Canucks be laughed at by other teams for one season and then in a few years we would laugh back at them, fresh off from winning the cup?

What if the prospect is a bust?
This can happen, but do keep in mind, that these prospects are top prospects for a reason and the only real chance of one of them becoming a bust is because of poor development/coaching. Imagine if Ovechkin was the top prospect in this years draft and imagine him being drafted by a team coached by John Tortorella. Would he be a bust? Yes. Would he be a superstar with any defensive minded coach? No. Development is key with any of these top prospects, but if anyone can do it, it would be WD.

The draft lottery doesn't guarantee us #1!
But it does guarantee us #2. I'm sure CDC would settle for Eichel. ::D

What are your thoughts? Should we tank? Should we try to make the playoffs and get crushed by any other western conference team?

I'd rather lose in the 1st round than watch my hockey team purposely lose.

That's just embarrassing to watch/be a part of. I don't care if McDavid is the next Gretzky, I would HATE to watch this team lose on purpose.

We should have tanked the last two seasons... The best season would have been the shorten one with MacKinnon. Now theres no point because we would be wasting the talent of the Sedins and company. The current roster isnt getting any younger anytime soon. The Sedins have at-least 4-7 years left in them.

No, I want to enjoy watching the games.

If the team was to tank would consider that to be watchable hockey?

It's like just come back next year or the year after to enjoy watching Canuck games again.

This coming season is going to be a tough one but should it be about getting younger and better.

it'll be watchable only if the effort is there.

I wouldn't tank, I would use our prospects and trade Miller and buyout Burrows.

Do people just not pay attention to the team that they are fans of?

The Canucks two compliance buy-outs have been used on...

BALLARD and BOOTH.

No thanks. I rather win.

But we have got to be the luckiest team in the NHL's history to win. "Vancouver the underdog and declining team from 2011 steals the cup from possibly the strongest western conference ever" I just can't imagine that. Why not lose now so we can win the cup later?

Archived