The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning: Markstrom has not asked for trade, expected to be at camp

Canucks35

I like Markstrom, after Lu got hurt and Eddie had to saddle up for a stretch, we couldn't play the backup for a while and I think that took a chunk out of Eddie's energy plus the final 19 games he played at the end of the season.

You may have a solid 1-2 punch, but the key is also having really solid depth at the number 3 and 4 situation.

Look at Montreal who had Price, Budaj and Tokarski.

Anaheim with Hiller, Fasth (until traded), Anderson, Gibson, Bobkov

LA kings with Quick, (Scrivens until traded), Jones

St Louis had Miller-Halak, Elliot, Allen.

Having a Miller-Lack-Markstrom trio will give us good depth if either the top two hurt themselves.

Even look at Minnesota when both Backstrom and Harding went down they had enormous depth with Kuemper and Bryzgalov to help out.

If Miller or Lack get hurt, I do not have faith in Eriksson to step in. Good teams will have depth flooding in the organization at all positions. canucks are building good depth especially if Miller figures out Vancouver may not work for him and we have to dish him out, we still have Markstrom to fall back on to backup Eddie.

I like Markstrom, after Lu got hurt and Eddie had to saddle up for a stretch, we couldn't play the backup for a while and I think that took a chunk out of Eddie's energy plus the final 19 games he played at the end of the season.

You may have a solid 1-2 punch, but the key is also having really solid depth at the number 3 and 4 situation.

Look at Montreal who had Price, Budaj and Tokarski.

Anaheim with Hiller, Fasth (until traded), Anderson, Gibson, Bobkov

LA kings with Quick, (Scrivens until traded), Jones

St Louis had Miller-Halak, Elliot, Allen.

Having a Miller-Lack-Markstrom trio will give us good depth if either the top two hurt themselves.

Even look at Minnesota when both Backstrom and Harding went down they had enormous depth with Kuemper and Bryzgalov to help out.

If Miller or Lack get hurt, I do not have faith in Eriksson to step in. Good teams will have depth flooding in the organization at all positions. canucks are building good depth especially if Miller figures out Vancouver may not work for him and we have to dish him out, we still have Markstrom to fall back on to backup Eddie.

You can add Demko to that trio next year or the final year of Miller's contract. Never count out the rookie goalies, especially one as skilled as Demko appears to be.

I'd personally rather keep Markstrom over Lack but there both pretty chill so either one will do. They must have some nice Happy go lucky weed over there in Sweden I guess lol.

Viking kush. Let him work on his skills in the ahl and be ready to play incase of injury

Please don't trade Lack over Markstrom dear god. Lack showed he can be one of the best in the NHL at times, we need to groom that (with the help of Miller) into world class talent.

Markstrom on the other hand hasn't put up very good numbers at all, even in the AHL. He needs a full season there (similar to what Lack and Schneider did) before he's NHL ready. Playing in the minors for 3 years sounds pretty tough until Miller's contract expires, so if he plays exceptionally well (as does Lack) and Miller's play starts to slip we could see a Miller trade to a team needing a big cap hit for a pick or two.

You can add Demko to that trio next year or the final year of Miller's contract. Never count out the rookie goalies, especially one as skilled as Demko appears to be.

Demko just finished his freshman year, so he definitely won't be on the team next year. College players usually play at least 3 years before leaving.

OR Lack will back-up Miller and Jacob is fine with playing in the AHL. I think if you send him down before the season starts, waivers do not apply... please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think Markstrom has to pass through waivers, maybe a capologist could weigh in on it, but I think hew signed his ELC when he was 20, meaning he is waiver exempt for 4 years. I think he can go down anytime next season. The season after that, it changes for him.

I don't think Markstrom has to pass through waivers, maybe a capologist could weigh in on it, but I think hew signed his ELC when he was 20, meaning he is waiver exempt for 4 years. I think he can go down anytime next season. The season after that, it changes for him.

Nope he is waiver eligible this upcoming season. A big reason why Tallon traded him in the deal for Luongo imo.

Please don't trade Lack over Markstrom dear god. Lack showed he can be one of the best in the NHL at times, we need to groom that (with the help of Miller) into world class talent.

Markstrom on the other hand hasn't put up very good numbers at all, even in the AHL. He needs a full season there (similar to what Lack and Schneider did) before he's NHL ready. Playing in the minors for 3 years sounds pretty tough until Miller's contract expires, so if he plays gexceptionally well (as does Lack) and Miller's play starts to slip we could see a Miller trade to a team needing a big cap hit for a pick or two.

Google is useful for correcting such misperceptions.

Archived