The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was most difficult about last season?

Canuckler87

For me, it had to be knowing we would not score more than two goals most games. Also, when we went down by a goal or two it felt like the game was basically over. It was boring Torts style hockey. The Heritage Classic fiasco was an event which dissapointed me as, being a Lu fan, I thought he deserved the start.

Edler was one player in specific who I found difficult to watch. It pissed me off watching Burr get unlucky.. he should have had a lot more goals if he had some puck luck. Posts and shots that went wide and all. When Torts went in to the Calgary dressing room like a madman, it kind of went downhill from there. Could name many other things as well but I'll spare you.

Ultimately, it was a very rough season. Here's hoping to a much better one starting in October

The fact that we were blowing two goal lead after two goal lead. I don't recall a team in recent memory blowing that many leads in one season. Also how we were absolutely destroyed by injuries.

Not to mention, being up 3-0 in one game heading into the third and losing the game 7-4.

There were very few highlights last season - some brighter sparks from the likes of Kassian and Jensen, plus Tanev developing a bit further and even Stanton proving his worth.

But for me, the worst event was Tortorella attempting to get into the Calgary dressing room. He was lucky he wasn't arrested and/or fired the next day!

I feel 100% confident that next season will be a lot better and brighter, with a new management team in place and some new faces on the ice. I also look forward to our veterans regaining, at the very least, some of their old form.

There were very few highlights last season - some brighter sparks from the likes of Kassian and Jensen, plus Tanev developing a bit further and even Stanton proving his worth.

But for me, the worst event was Tortorella attempting to get into the Calgary dressing room. He was lucky he wasn't arrested and/or fired the next day!

I feel 100% confident that next season will be a lot better and brighter, with a new management team in place and some new faces on the ice. I also look forward to our veterans regaining, at the very least, some of their old form.

Playoffs baby

The sheer disappointment of it all. I attended the two day open scrimmage/training camp and was so optimistic...seeing Torts on the ice, interacting with the guys. To plummet from high to low like that?...who saw that coming? It was a fiasco...went to the Heritage game, was thoroughly disappointed to see Lu on the bench...it was awkward, even from the stands. Then to see our guys dropping like flies blocking shots...

It was just a complete disaster. Lost Kes, Lu. Burr and Tanev were beat up. Santo was a bright light - then we lost him. Players were driven into the ground and obviously it impacted confidence and unity. It was like a nightmare where you're half waking up but are stuck in it.

Torts storming the hallway...while we're trying hard to shake the "unruly trouble makers" image, this did nothing toward that. Made us look like hooligans. Liked his backgone at the time but, in hindsight, he was a loose cannon and the reports appear to be correct.

It was a complete dud of a season by all respects. Hated it. In the past (thank God)...looking forward to the future, mind you, I've learned to hold my breath and not get too excited. Slow and steady.

The most difficult thing about the season that just passed was that when we thought we hit a new low, there was another level to go yet, again, again, and again.

So many disappointments, but the one the jumps out is Tortorella's body language behind the bench just after the Olympics...his body language essentially said "I quit". Didn't surprise me the team quit soon thereafter.

Goes to show you how much of the professional game is played in the six to seven inches between the ears, and in the heart.

Not to mention, being up 3-0 in one game heading into the third and losing the game 7-4.

The fact that we were blowing two goal lead after two goal lead. I don't recall a team in recent memory blowing that many leads in one season. Also how we were absolutely destroyed by injuries.

^^

These are probably the most difficult parts of the season, apart from my pure rage at the reffing in that one California trip.

The general divide on the team. You could tell that there was no cohesion. We were a team only because we were wearing the same sweater. But other than that, no one was working together, no one was complimenting each other, and no one way really giving it their all. That was tough to see after all the years we've had where the team has been one unbreakable unit.

I think it was the Torts factor, and I really hope that, if nothing else this year, we can at least get back to playing as a team

Archived