The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was most difficult about last season?

Canuckler87

Tortorella.

I called no playoffs as soon as he was hired. Always the wrong guy for the team and the city... Wrong personality... Wrong system. I watched less Canuck's hockey last season than any other season in history because I loathed Tortorella. He reminded me of Keenan.

My sports focus moved more towards the Leos, the 'Caps and Liverpool. When Linden was hired, I slapped my forehead in disbelief. I thought he was the wrong guy for the job. That all changed when Benning was hired. And then Desjardins. Then the Draft and Free Agency. All of a sudden, my interest has been sparked again. Then Doug Lidster the other day. I haven't been this excited about the team since Game 7 of the Final in '11!

So, let's forget about last season and look forward to '14-'15 with eagerness. I can't wait for camp!

9-1 loss to the Ducks or giving up 7 goals in one period to the Islanders (with no Tavares).

Another thing was the last game of the season seeing Daniel just lying there, after everything that happened that year.

Wow, I completely forgot about that. That was truly rock bottom. I was really worried, and the stupid reporter only made it worse accusing him of being soft before we even knew if he was going to be okay. It was like the monkey was on our back, just clawing away, and then someone gave him a knife. It just hurt.

I wasn't even mad about that 7 minute 2 man advantage for the Ducks. Was kinda funny how much a joke the league was. Well, little pissed at the refs, Ducks were up so much, they sent plugs out there to take 1 timers at our remaining Dmens heads. Couple people got hurt in that debacle.

Blown leads. Lack of depth. Lack of speed/transition game. Last year just sucked. I wasn't too excited for games.

Looking forward to the next season. Want to see what Willie does. How Kassian progresses. The whole team just re-energized

That Islanders game was just embarrasing wow. The Islanders didn't even have Tavares for that...

I always say there's no way Canucks can choke harder than they already have and every year, they prove me wrong.

It's undoubtedly obvious this franchise isn't going to win a stanley cup with the Sedins around. We need a new face of the franchise and best way to do that is if we get Mcdavid next season!!

The game against the islanders.. I was so fragile at the time, they gave me hope then....it was like a tsunami crushing me in the 3rd.

Yeah...i was definitely at that game. I was in a slight state of shock the rest of the night.

Also, for me, ONE of the worst things was honestly when Santo got injured. Here we had this silver lining in a guy who was exciting to watch, played with heart, then bam. Out for the rest of the season.

Apples and oranges. There really was no point of asking a player to waive if you don't have the cap room to upgrade. Pretty hard to move underperformers when you are up against the cap. Managers would just lowball whatever you want because MG had no leverage. With a rising cap, Benning can spin off a player because he has additional cap to spend on top of what was freed up by moving Kesler, Loungo previously, Garrison etc. He knows he can bid on talent....MG didn't have that luxury. MG also had to work in a hockey environment where expectations were high whereas now they are not. Right now, everything Benning does is a positive because we are starting rock bottom by this teams standards. I also think Linden and Benning have been given much more power to work without asking the owners permission.

Gillis publicly stated many times that he would never ask a player to waive a NTC. But taking a step back from that, he got himself into the NTC mess in the first place. Whether he was unwilling or other GM's were unwilling, he should have traded some players who had expiring contracts rather than re-sign them. What also handcuffed him was trading away tons of draft picks without adding and drafting poorly with the ones he had... without solid young players coming up, he had no bargaining power against pending free agents. I understand the pressures but at the end of the day he lives and dies by his decisions. He just made too many poor moves when it was all said and done.

The most difficult thing about last season was watching a game from beginning to end....

I was not at all surprised by the Torts fiasco from beginning to end, although I hoped to be proven wrong and he did seem to say all the right things for the first half of the season (I wasn't impressed by their play mind you, even in the first half). I feel much better about this season, this coach and management team than I did last year.

Luongo not playing the Heritage Classic.

That's when I fell off the Torts bandwagon.

I fell off the Torts bandwagon the minute we hired him. I was cheering for him to be hired by somebody else in our division - anybody else in our division. Then I decided everybody deserved to start with a clean slate... mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

During the season it was watching how badly Tortorella had lost this team during the mid-point of the season, just seemed like a desperate man begging to keep his job. It was just disgusting and annoying to watch and all because of Gillis bringing in a good hockey coach on a team that was polar-opposite of his style.

At the end of the season for me it was definitely the Canucks not winning the draft lottery.

The worst part for me was watching Tortorella bust Hansen's jewels publicly.

Not only was Tortorella wrong - if he watched video / the replay, he owed Hansen a serious apology - but Hansen is also one of the hardest working, most responsible two way players on the team - who also suffered a pair of serious shoulder injuries last year. It was clear to me at that point that Tortorella hadn't really learned to discipline/control himself, and was going to frack up the team's cohesiveness, having already alienated (and underutilized) Hamhuis, and was out to lunch regarding the way he was handling Edler.

That being said, my favorite part was his decision to sit Luongo for the Heritage Classic. Got really tired of Luongo's pouty patronage expectations. Tortorella took a lot of unwarranted heat for that imo. Luo was playing some weak hockey, Lack was playing well, and the decision seemed to either precipitate a quicker move, or was a result of a move already being in the works. Best part of the season was getting that deal done.

I'll be the oddball and say that I still really like Torts, and I would have started Eddie Lack too. Face it, Lack was better at the time and whoever gives you the best chance to win is the only thing that matters when facing the decision of who to start in goal; heritage classic or not.

Putting emotions aside, even though Luongo had been with this club for many years he really shown his true colors last season, and made it obvious that his heart was not in Vancouver, and perhaps it never was.

Food for thought.

CDC:

OMGZ WE'VE FOUND THE PERFECT REPLACEMENT FOR KESLER. SANTORELLI IS OUR MALKIN HEZ SO GUD.

He was a streaky player that couldn't crack the Panther's roster. One decent season a good player does not make. We overrated the hell out of that guy and I'm glad he's not around for us to have to find out.

During the season it was watching how badly Tortorella had lost this team during the mid-point of the season, just seemed like a desperate man begging to keep his job. It was just disgusting and annoying to watch and all because of Gillis bringing in a good hockey coach on a team that was polar-opposite of his style.

At the end of the season for me it was definitely the Canucks not winning the draft lottery.

Yeah, Torts never did have the team that suited his style. Still think he's a good coach though.

Archived