The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Online print media reporters in Vancouver need to clean up their Canuck reporting

fanfor42

Bothford, Kuzma, Gallagher etc etc. The Vancouver print media sports reporters who cover the Canucks need to improve. Listen, years ago I subscribed to the Province and Sun long before their online versions existed. Back then their was no way to count hits or reads. Reporters built a reputation by building a rapport with players or management and getting inside information. Further, and much more important, they cared that this information was reported factually and correctly.

Today, that is out the window. These guys are judged by their employers and peers based on online hits. Period. They no longer care if what they say is right or wrong. In fact, they all pretend to be reporting when in fact they are simply editorializing.

Fans need to realize that you can't believe what these guys write. If you want an actual quote listen to an unedited radio or tv interview. Then compare it to what the online print reporters have recorded as truth. It is often wrong. Sometimes it bares no resemblance to the truth.

Pay attention to the cases of these guys claiming to report what someone said to them that was not actually recorded on radio or tv. Look out. Here is when we start to hear, it has been reported, or sources say, or it is believed...When you read any of those interpret it as "I am embellishing here, or I may be wrong, or I may have actually made this up".

The reporting world has changed due to the impact of the internet. Fans need to adjust their filters. Don't believe what these guys write. Send them an email asking for a recording of Benning or whoever saying what they are reporting as fact. Pay attention that editorializing is not reporting. What these guys write is not true. it is meant to titillate and create interest. It is meant to increase online hits.

There is no competition in Vancouver for these guys. They get away with what they do because they can. They are lousy at their jobs because we don't have a New York Times or London Times to demand more of them. Let's us demand more.

The only real way to deal with this is to contact the newspapers and tell them the names of the reporters who have caused you to decide to cancel your subscription/online subscription/epub and why you are removing said newspaper's website from your RSS feeds and reading rotations.

I told the Province that I am cancelling my subscription and refusing to use their website until they fire Tony Gallagher, if enough people did the same the guy would be gone.

I agree the sports journalism if you want to call it that around here is a joke. I try to avoid all the crap thats passed of these days as hockey insider news.

The trick is to not click on the links or give them any hits. The problem is convincing the masses to do the same.

Wait till something actually happens, then get excited, not before.

Again I say that the more you whine to the press about their coverage the more they love it because it means YOU ARE PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY SAY no matter how ridiculous it is. Anybody who whines about the media is a sucker; JUST DON'T READ IT!!!!!!

Archived