The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prince Fielder poses nude on ESPN The Magazine cover

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Here's Prince Fielder nude on the cover of the 'Body Issue'
Jason Rowan / Sportress of Blogitude Yardbarker

JUL 08, 2014 3:41p ET

Texas Rangers slugger Prince Fielder may not have what one considers the prototypical physique of a world-class athlete. Still, despite his portly frame, Fielder’s appearance on the cover of the upcoming edition of ESPN The Magazine’s “Body Issue” is a testament to the fact that athletes do come in all shapes and sizes.

Fielder addressed how his body type flies in the face of convention in some comments made to The Mag:

"You don’t have to look like an Under Armour mannequin to be an athlete. A lot of people probably think I’m not athletic or don’t even try to work out or whatever, but I do. Just because you’re big doesn’t mean you can’t be an athlete. And just because you work out doesn’t mean you’re going to have a 12-pack. I work out to make sure I can do my job to the best of my ability. Other than that, I’m not going up there trying to be a fitness model."

Gotta give Fielder credit. Stripping down like that in front of all those people for a photo shoot cannot be an easy thing to do.

No. Prince Fielder can try to come up with excuses about his weight, but the fact is that he quickly became an overpaid deadweight for the Tigers. Like the Luongo trade, Detroit gave Texas money to take on the contract. If you ask a Tigers fan why they were disappointed in Fielder, one of the things they'll say often is "no passion". He's not the laziest player out there, but his attitude really pissed off the fans. You got this guy who's got a nine year, $200M+ contract and he has no drive to win, no emotions, and no leadership qualities whatsoever. Detroit knew that going in, because they just wanted his bat. But his defence is garbage. He forced himself into playing first base even though he would've been a better DH. His baserunning is bad. His batting average has gone down. Analysts have talked about his decline for a couple of years already. And he's only 30.

He is fat. And it makes him a worse athlete. And for him to say the comments he's saying is really annoying. There is no justification for being a unfit sports player. And for that, he is a terrible role model for kids who aspire to be athletes. He doesn't represent anything except the lazy guy with talent.

These three pics sum up his player profile....

6371956.jpg

Fielder7.gif.opt_medium.gif

Prince_flies_10-19-13.gif

No. Prince Fielder can try to come up with excuses about his weight, but the fact is that he quickly became an overpaid deadweight for the Tigers. Like the Luongo trade, Detroit gave Texas money to take on the contract. If you ask a Tigers fan why they were disappointed in Fielder, one of the things they'll say often is "no passion". He's not the laziest player out there, but his attitude really pissed off the fans. You got this guy who's got a nine year, $200M+ contract and he has no drive to win, no emotions, and no leadership qualities whatsoever. Detroit knew that going in, because they just wanted his bat. But his defence is garbage. He forced himself into playing first base even though he would've been a better DH. His baserunning is bad. His batting average has gone down. Analysts have talked about his decline for a couple of years already. And he's only 30.

He is fat. And it makes him a worse athlete. And for him to say the comments he's saying is really annoying. There is no justification for being a unfit sports player. And for that, he is a terrible role model for kids who aspire to be athletes. He doesn't represent anything except the lazy guy with talent.

These three pics sum up his player profile....

6371956.jpg

Fielder7.gif.opt_medium.gif

Prince_flies_10-19-13.gif

Couldnt disagree more - not about Fielders downward performance, but that you need an athletes body to play baseball. The mental game of reading a variety of different pitches, and the hand eye coordinating to do something about them is much more valuable. Two Words: Tony Gwynn. Explain that one. A worse physique than Fielder, yet hes the best contact hitter in the modern era. Theres been other fine hitters too that werent physical beauties - David Ortiz - a shoo in hall of famer for his playoff performances. John Kruk was a fine hitter, and outright fat. And Dioner Navarro oddly gets the 'lazy' tag for his physique, but hes a consistent clutch hitter this year...wheres poster boy JP Arrencibia?

Archived