The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson could end up in Europe

With all this talk about Miller-Lack-Markstrom, Eriksson has become sort of an afterthought (at least for me). Barring injuries, I think it would be a longshot that Eriksson would be with the Canucks this coming season, so does it make sense to trade his rights to a team that may be in need of a back-up goalie? If so, I wonder what he would bring back...maybe a 6th or 7th round pick?

Obviously, our goaltending depth would suffer if this were to happen, especially if we lose Markstrom to waivers.

Assuming we lose Markstrom to waivers and Eriksson to the SEL (while still retaining his rights), where does the depth come in to support Cannatta? I'm sure worst case scenario would be arranging a goalie to be loaned to the Comets by another NHL team.

With all this talk about Miller-Lack-Markstrom, Eriksson has become sort of an afterthought (at least for me). Barring injuries, I think it would be a longshot that Eriksson would be with the Canucks this coming season, so does it make sense to trade his rights to a team that may be in need of a back-up goalie? If so, I wonder what he would bring back...maybe a 6th or 7th round pick?

Obviously, our goaltending depth would suffer if this were to happen, especially if we lose Markstrom to waivers.

Assuming we lose Markstrom to waivers and Eriksson to the SEL (while still retaining his rights), where does the depth come in to support Cannatta? I'm sure worst case scenario would be arranging a goalie to be loaned to the Comets by another NHL team.

Mathieu Corbeil is signed to the Comets, and played in the ECHL for the majority of last year. he'd be called up for backup duty.

needs to go through waivers and will be plucked in a heartbeat!

Wow didn't think of waivers as an issue. Yikes lossing Markstrom for nothing would really hurt. Could we send Markstrom to Europe as well to retain his rights? MG really handcuffed Benning by bringing in two young goalies both capable backups but neither ready to start in the NHL yet. Hope we are able to trade one of Lack or Markstrom and keep the other to help with the future along with Demko and Erikkson (not sold on Cannatta).

Our young goalie depth is huge now, it's just to bad we can't find a place for everyone to play.

I think he knows that Miller-Lack-Markstrom are the main goalies and he won't have a chance for the next 3 years when Miller's contract expires. When Miller's contract expires, It will be either Lack-Markstrom or Markstrom-Lack and Eriksson would probably only be called up if there is an injury.

Article 13.2 of the CBA:

"The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the

start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season."

So Markstrom can theoretically be assigned to Utica without waivers before September 27 this year (first day of the regular season is October 8)

Article 13.2 of the CBA:

"The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the

start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season."

So Markstrom can theoretically be assigned to Utica without waivers before September 27 this year (first day of the regular season is October 8)

But then if Lack or Miller gets hurt could be called back up to NHL to fill in as an injury replacement without having to go through re-entry waivers? Or would he be stuck in the AHL all season?

I think he knows that Miller-Lack-Markstrom are the main goalies and he won't have a chance for the next 3 years when Miller's contract expires. When Miller's contract expires, It will be either Lack-Markstrom or Markstrom-Lack and Eriksson would probably only be called up if there is an injury.

Not to mention in 3 years Demko could be ready.

But then if Lack or Miller gets hurt could be called back up to NHL to fill in as an injury replacement without having to go through re-entry waivers? Or would he be stuck in the AHL all season?

I believe re-entry waivers was eliminated in this most recent CBA if I remember correctly. I'll try and peruse it to find out for sure.

Article 13.2 of the CBA:

This is a link to the CBA online, page 71 is where waiver rules start:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

players on an NHL contract cannot be assigned to the AHL until after the waiver period starts.

13.1 A Club shall not dispose of the services of any Player in which it has a proprietary
interest by Loan to a club of another league without first having complied with the provisions of
this Article. The Waivers that are recognized by this Agreement are Regular Waivers and
Unconditional Waivers.
13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the
start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season.
Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a
club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere
expressly prohibited

I believe re-entry waivers was eliminated in this most recent CBA if I remember correctly. I'll try and peruse it to find out for sure.

yeah, no more re-entry waivers.

And just like that you can lose two goalies.

There goes your goaltending depth

I think Eriksson can be loaned to a European team without penalty to us. So while he might be unavailable to us if we had injuries, he would still be under contract with us and we wouldn't lose his contract rights

Archived