The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Linden Vey accepts qualifying offer

good signing, but I think we need another top rated D man not another forward!

You beat me to this, and its spot on!

As much as everyone is discussing building the Pacific Bruins, as a whole but especially on D its not reflected yet. We are building depth and speed. I mean Sbisa was rated a guy with "untapped, potentially elite" skills when drafted. He does have speed. But to date he's not really been a guy to handle or rush the puck. Still, we have a highly mobile two way D, its certainly not big or anchored by a stud who challenges everyone physically (like Green and Mitchell behind LA's plethora of puck movers). To me we are re-building a speed, puck possession team?

But one lacking that PMD. A D man who is a magician with the puck. An agile guy, who can break down opposing teams, both forwards pressuring the point on the PP and blowing past fore checks to bring the puck up ice. Hamhuis, certainly Tanev, even Bieksa qualify as fast. They can make passes, including the first pass, get to pucks and pressure defensively. Edler has a big shot. No one, however, who teams have to alter their game plan for because this guy has the puck on his stick?

Our D is lacking this PMD, and a crease clearing bastard still! Lets see what GMJB can get for Markstrom, a little cap space and possibly Hansen, Higgins or Burrows?

Tim Erixon anyone?

Return Stanton to Chicago for Leddy (to clear needed cap space)??

Guess Pouliot is too much to ask for Burrows and Markstrom?

Winnipeg is in bad straights for both goalies and goalie prospects. Hansen lives in the Peg off season. Got to be a way to steal Josh Morrisey? (albeit he is a year or two away...)

Over a point per game in the AHL, and had 5 points in 12 NHL games last season. I know we don't really have a true #1 future centre in our prospect pool, but Vey might surprise a few people and have all the tools. He's primed for a big rookie season and will get the 3C spot to start with:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Vey - Jensen

Burrows - Richardson - Matthias

It was 18 games...but regardless he looks very promising.

Regarding your line up:

Higgins is a 3rd liner/#7 forward/top 6 tweener. Doesn't belong on the 2nd line, it has been tried and tested. He is also a LW not RW.

Jensen is a pure scorer, not a checker or grinder by any stretch. Pointless having him on the 3rd line.

No way Burrows and his 4.5 million will be on the 4th line....unless this is a ploy to waive his NTC.

Matthias requested a trade out of Florida because of discontent with his ice time, putting him on the 4th line here after giving him 15+ minutes last year will cause some problems.

I was hoping they'd get this done sooner than later, looks like we've wrapped just about everything up!

I was stoked about the Vey acquisition, the guy's got some nice offensive upside and it's nice to see us adding more youth to the lineup for once.

I'm just curious though, what's the term of the deal?

We still need upgrades on D?

- No true PMD (lots of mobile two way guys)

- No crease clearing bastard! :shock:

Benning has said he's happy with the back end, despite making only one change. I'd like to see those deficiencies addressed as well, but it seems he doesn't think they're there, or at least not a priority. Thing is, we don't have any D prospects likely to fill those roles for a couple years either. The (alleged) Myers interest and drafting of Tryamkin and Forsling are positive signs, but again, at least a couple years away.

Well unless a "fair hockey trade" comes up in the next few months, I see a pretty decent lineup. Maybe a little low end on the 2nd line, and missing a physical RD... but it looks like a playoff team that has actual prospects who can be called up for fill in injuries.

Higgins and Hansen will get more minutes than we are used to out of 4th liners as they will be probably be killing penalties. If Richardson/Higgins and Vey/Hansen could be PK pairs, it would certainly open up a lot of offensive minutes for the 2nd line and give them higher point totals than we expect.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,793,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,206,667

Well unless a "fair hockey trade" comes up in the next few months, I see a pretty decent lineup. Maybe a little low end on the 2nd line, and missing a physical RD... but it looks like a playoff team that has actual prospects who can be called up for fill in injuries.

Higgins and Hansen will get more minutes than we are used to out of 4th liners as they will be probably be killing penalties. If Richardson/Higgins and Vey/Hansen could be PK pairs, it would certainly open up a lot of offensive minutes for the 2nd line and give them higher point totals than we expect.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($6.000m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,793,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,206,667

I don't mind that roster. I'm not sold on Dorsett on the 3rd line. Arguably, that 4th line is better than the 3rd line.

I'd like one of our prospects on make the team, but the right thing to do is to let Jensen prove himself more in the camp/preseason/AHL before giving him a spot on the roster.

Over a point per game in the AHL, and had 5 points in 12 NHL games last season. I know we don't really have a true #1 future centre in our prospect pool, but Vey might surprise a few people and have all the tools. He's primed for a big rookie season and will get the 3C spot to start with:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Vey - Jensen

Burrows - Richardson - Matthias

What is this?

Higgins on the 2nd? Burrows on the 4th? Jensen on the 3rd? I don't think so. :)

On the big physical D. Is there a chance that if the big Russian shows up well in pre season JB intends to buy him out of his contract?

Would that not be cheaper than trying to acquire Meyers? It's not as if the guy is not playing in a decent league at present.

We drafted a Russian kid that may fill the role in the upcoming years. Tough to find guys like that that are also responsible defensively in the FA.

Fair point, on the crease clearing bastard front. He's also already playing productively in the KHL I understand? And that he can skate.

Point being that he might be closer to NHL ready than most draftee's...

My key acquisition goal (for 3 years now) has been, and is, a D man with speed and puck skills. Due to the cost, probably a prospect.

I don't mind that roster. I'm not sold on Dorsett on the 3rd line. Arguably, that 4th line is better than the 3rd line.

I'd like one of our prospects on make the team, but the right thing to do is to let Jensen prove himself more in the camp/preseason/AHL before giving him a spot on the roster.

I wouldn't get too hung up on who is on what line in the bottom 6... they have repeatedly talked about rolling four lines, so we won't have a 4th that plays 5 minutes a game anymore. Also, the most important key is the pairs of guys from the bottom 6 who can play on special teams. Dorsett and Matthias (or possibly Richardson) are the likeliest to get the fewest minutes I think, Vey will be on the PK taking all the defensive zone faceoffs one one side being the only right handed centre.

One of the points of putting up that roster is to show there isn't a spot for a prospect right now. Unless someone blows the doors off in training camp and pre-season that makes us move a veteran out, we won't be seeing any of our rookies on opening night.

I wouldn't get too hung up on who is on what line in the bottom 6... they have repeatedly talked about rolling four lines, so we won't have a 4th that plays 5 minutes a game anymore. Also, the most important key is the pairs of guys from the bottom 6 who can play on special teams. Dorsett and Matthias (or possibly Richardson) are the likeliest to get the fewest minutes I think, Vey will be on the PK taking all the defensive zone faceoffs one one side being the only right handed centre.

One of the points of putting up that roster is to show there isn't a spot for a prospect right now. Unless someone blows the doors off in training camp and pre-season that makes us move a veteran out, we won't be seeing any of our rookies on opening night.

Matthias and Richardson both play heavy PK minutes and Richardson's faceoff % means he'll be taking defensive zone draws an awful lot.

Archived