The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does the officiating improve for us next season?

King Heffy

I think it's pretty clear by now that Gillis wasn't a well-respected guy around the league. After his calling out the refs after their poor conduct in the 2011 series against Chicago, we got stuck with Sutherland and O'Halloran for many important games, especially against Chicago and Boston. Either Gillis was too dense to realize the assignment of these guys posed a problem, or the league didn't listen.

Linden, on the other hand, is respected around the hockey world. I think it's reasonable to assume that if he calls up the league office and requests officials who can be trusted to conduct themselves in a professional manner, the league may just be more willing to accommodate him.

Add in the fact that Kesler isn't here anymore, and it's reasonable to expect the refs to at least attempt to call the games fairly next year. Thoughts?

I think it's pretty clear by now that Gillis wasn't a well-respected guy around the league. After his calling out the refs after their poor conduct in the 2011 series against Chicago, we got stuck with Sutherland and O'Halloran for many important games, especially against Chicago and Boston. Either Gillis was too dense to realize the assignment of these guys posed a problem, or the league didn't listen.

Linden, on the other hand, is respected around the hockey world. I think it's reasonable to assume that if he calls up the league office and requests officials who can be trusted to conduct themselves in a professional manner, the league may just be more willing to accommodate him.

Add in the fact that Kesler isn't here anymore, and it's reasonable to expect the refs to at least attempt to call the games fairly next year. Thoughts?

lol caman

The thing with Sutherland is he's just an idiot who doesn't know to do. It's unfortunate. So nothing will change with him.

My argument isn't that Sutherland's conduct will improve. My argument is that when Linden calls the league office and tell them to stop assigning that piece of trash to our games, the league might just take him seriously.

My argument isn't that Sutherland's conduct will improve. My argument is that when Linden calls the league office and tell them to stop assigning that piece of trash to our games, the league might just take him seriously.

yeah, i dunno about that. i'm sure if he asked he would get some sort of generic response like "we don't use any form of bias when assigning officials" so on so forth. i think the only thing that will effect the calls is if the Canucks seem like they are playing a more honest game. taking kes and his dives out of the equation will help, certainly.

To me this topic is a non-starter. I wouldn't even go there as it relates directly to the Canucks. You are simply looking for a world of hurt if you begin a campaign about the quality (or lack thereof) of officiating in the NHL games our team plays.

What I would be interested in learning is in general, what steps the league takes to evaluate the performance of referees and linesmen during the regular season and playoffs. Unless I am totally clued-out you never hear anything about the results of a review of NHL on-ice officials.

I realize this can be a touchy subject for the league, however if they actually want to appear to pay any attention to what the fans think, the NHL would be smart to apply some semblance of transparency in regards to the overall performance of their officiating crews.

NHL reffing is in the stone ages.

For a game whose players, coaches, trainers, hell, even the zamboni drivers are using the latest and greatest technology available to them.

It is time for reffing to come all the way from the 19th, into the 21st century.

An off-ice official, or officials, with veto power and direct communication (bluetooth) to the guys on the ice, would be a wonderful start. Coincidental minors should be up thousands of percent, with off-ice officials assessing diving penalties by the score. The players WILL adjust, quickly, and great, fast, open hockey will arise once again.

The best hockey in generations was just after the 2004-2005 lockout. Refs were calling EVERYTHING, every single time any player even brushed another player above the waist, for any reason, it was a penalty. The game opened up. Players like Alex Burrows, for example, flourished.

Then the steady creep of the hooking, holding, and my personal least favorite, defensemen shadowing, and interfering with forwards from the blue line all the way into the end boards, all came back to the game.

San Jose series the PP's were 24-10, I believe. Read on here that this disparity was a PO series record(unbalanced ratio).

The Burrows/CBC matter.

That Calif trip, early 2014.

Some have the nerve to trot out the tinfoil-trash..I don't mind, anyone is welcome to buy tickets & overpriced cloth/trinkets/etc...

Won't contribute a dime, until I trust what I'm viewing. Rule #1 of any sport, is a league better do their damnedest to ensure the field is level.

To those who have uttered the tinfoil garbage in past posts. Some might be clueless, which is better than the alternative, probably APOLOGISTS for a rigged deck.

Archived