The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In your opinion what's this team missing from being contenders again?

Outsiders

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think we're missing to be a contender again? on paper we look something like this, as of now assuming Mr. Benning is done with trades and signings.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Hansen

Matthais-Richardson-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton

Miller

Lack

IMO we need

1. that #1 shutdown d-man with offensive abilities.

2. left top 6 forward (Kassian fits the 2nd line RW position for me)

3. All depends if the Sedins are scoring, that's the only way we have a shot

4. Youth

5. Everyone playing there best hockey

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Vrbata

______-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Jensen

(Burrows traded Hansen traded )

Hamhuis-_______

Edler(if he can regain 2011) - Tanev

Sbisa/Stanton - Bieksa

Miller

Lack

edit - I feel that were in that stage where the core is getting to old to win and that if we get are prospects in now there not gonna make an impact. if our Horvat,McCann,Shinkaruk,Gaunce,Hutton,Virtanen were all 24-27 years of age and all playing at the potential were are STANLEY CUP CHAMPS. but there not that age. There not ready to compete at the NHL level yet. And by the time they are the Sedins,Bieksa,Burrows,Hamhuis,Miller,Higgins,Vrbata there all 35- 37 + and have nothing left in the tank .

I don't think and this is my honest opinion (and im a huge fan of this team and believe every year is our year) the Canucks wont be Cup Champs in tell that next gen of canucks are all here ( Shink,Bo,Virtanen,McCann) are all in the lineup and the (Sedins,Bieksa,Hamhuis,Miller,Vrbata,Burrows,Higgins) are all gone. I hope im wrong tho

IMO we need

1. that #1 shutdown d-man with offensive abilities.

2. left top 6 forward (Kassian fits the 2nd line RW position for me)

3. All depends if the Sedins are scoring, that's the only way we have a shot

4. Youth

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Vrbata

______-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Jensen

(Burrows traded Hansen traded )

Hamhuis-_______

Edler(if he can regain 2011) - Tanev

Sbisa/Stanton - Bieksa

Miller

Lack

IMO it's only your opinion

I think the top 6 has great potential. I have high hopes for Vrbata and the Sedins to click. That will give us a winger who can get 25+ goals in Vrbata and Daniel might be able to get 25+ too. It all depends on how well Vrbata clicks with the twins. If all goes well, I think the Sedins can be point-a-game players again, which will make a huge difference.

Other things could make a difference too. If Bonino somehow improves on last year and gets 50+ points that would help a lot. Maybe a surprise rookie in Shinkaruk or Fox could be big too. If Kassian becomes a great power forward with 45+ points that'd be nice too.

If Edler finally grows into the role many have hoped he could fill and get 50+ points while being solid defensively we would stand a very good chance at making it into the playoffs.

And of course, Miller and Lack have to both perform well.

I also think Willie Desjardins could be huge for the team. I think the players will really like him and he'll be huge for the team's confidence.

All in all, if we are very lucky, I think we can even make it above the Wildcard level. Odds are that not all that will happen, so we'll more likely be in the hunt for that last spot.

What do you think we're missing to be a contender again? on paper we look something like this, as of now assuming Mr. Benning is done with trades and signings.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton

Miller

Lack

Better than last year

IMO it's only your opinion

Hence the IMO...

OP, I would say a top 6 LWer like Neal who can pot 40 goals and a #1 puck moving defender...these pieces will be very expensive and we cannot afford them, so we need to draft one of each so we do not make the same mistake we made during the Sedin era, it's too late now

Top six forward and a puck moving defenceman

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

_____ - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat/Vey - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - _____

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Miller

Lack

I think we are missing speed. Whether it be fast skating or quick movement, both are necessary to win. When you look at the powerplay, you can tell how every player hesitates for a few seconds when they get the puck. In contrast, the Blackhawks are extremely quick with their passes and it just stretches the defence. The Sedins MUST do better on the PP.

Also, Edler has played his way out of a top four spot. He can still play his way back into the role, but man.... he is really frustrating to watch. He is very slow, can't move the puck and can't defend on the rushes. The only thing he still has going for him is his big frame, which he uses quite well (hitting and blocking shots).

in order for us to be contenders next year....

- we need to acquire a legit top six LW

- we need some young players to step in and play well

- we need to stay healthy

- and most importantly, we need all of our veterans to play how they played in 2011

that last one seems very unrealistic to expect, which is why we shouldn't be considered a contender

Archived