The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) It's a numbers game...

bigbadcanucks

What are the number assignments for potential new Canucks? Word was Gillis wasn't all that fond of high numbers...will Linden/Benning/Desjardins allow for high numbers?

And with #19 retired, what would be the number of choice for Cassels and McCann? Between the two of them, who gets #91?

Defence

Luca Sbisa...#5?

Forwards

Radim Vrbata...#17?

Nick Bonino...#13?

Bo Horvat...#53 (assigned already)

Linden Vey...? Does he stick with #57 that he wore for the Kings?

Derek Dorsett...#51?

Niklas Jensen...is he going to be #46 during his entire Canucks tenure?

Brendan Gaunce...does he go #41 or #61? Does he stay #50?

Hunter Shinkaruk...he's been #9 his WHL career...what does he go with?

What becomes of numbers 4, 7, 21, 24, 25?

Will the Canucks ever allow for use of nos. 11, 28, 3638 and 37? Personally, I hope these numbers remain out of circulation out of obvious respect for those who wore these numbers (minus Messier).

With Ryan Miller taking #30, what number is assigned to Cannatta? Will he dare take #1?

Anyways, something non-consequential to ponder.

I think its pretty safe to say that Vrbata will go for #17, team1040 asked about that during their interview with him

Nick Bonino will probably grab #13

Derek Dorsett will most likely grab #15 since he has worn it through his entire career (Medicine Hat, Columbus, New York)

Linden Vey wore #15 when he was in Medicine Hat, #25 isn't taken right? Who knows, he's got a lot of options

I think the Canucks will continue with pushing players to pick lower jersey numbers, I think it looks better either way.

I think its pretty safe to say that Vrbata will go for #17, team1040 asked about that during their interview with him

Nick Bonino will probably grab #13

Derek Dorsett will most likely grab #15 since he has worn it through his entire career (Medicine Hat, Columbus, New York)

Linden Vey wore #15 when he was in Medicine Hat, #25 isn't taken right? Who knows, he's got a lot of options

I think the Canucks will continue with pushing players to pick lower jersey numbers, I think it looks better either way.

Brad Richardson has got #15.

What's the problem with high numbers?

High numbers are usually worn in juniors, I am not sure exactly why. Some people think that when you "graduate" to the big league you should trade your high number in for a lower one.

Personally, I don't care one bit if someone wants to wear 71 on their jersey if it makes them happy.

Didn't we retire Sundin's number 13?

I liked Sundin, but that would seem rather silly after only a few months on the club.

What's the problem with high numbers?

I'm guessing it's an ego thing. Hey look at me and the cool number on my back. To borrow from "Miracle", the name on the front is more important than the number on the back.

Guest Dasein

I don't see any issue with high numbers... Players should wear the number they want.

I hope Vrbata goes away from 17. Gonna be weird seeing that on someone else right away.

I would love it if he took it right away. Kesler - the way he went out - will not be missed. I'll miss 2011 Kesler, but only insofar as he was part of the 2011 team and not as an individual player.

Anyways, just for fun this is what I think:

Sbisa = #5

Vrbata = #17

Bonino = #13

Dorsett and Vey - #25, #45 and #55 are available if they want to keep a "5" in there

Horvat = 53 for obvious reasons

Gaunce might keep 50 IMO - not a bad number - or take #26 (draft position and also his original Belleville 16 + 10)

Shinkaruk = #29 if he wants to keep a "9" (Nate Mac is making wearing #29 cool) - #24 would also look good on him (draft position)
Jensen = #7 or #27 if he makes the team and wants a permanent number - or keep #46 for 2 years and take #17

I don't see any issue with high numbers... Players should wear the number they want.

I hope Vrbata goes away from 17. Gonna be weird seeing that on someone else right away.

Yes 99 was good enough for Gretzky and 66 was good enough for Mario Lemieux....I don't see the problem with high numbers.

What are the number assignments for potential new Canucks? Word was Gillis wasn't all that fond of high numbers...will Linden/Benning/Desjardins allow for high numbers?

And with #19 retired, what would be the number of choice for Cassels and McCann? Between the two of them, who gets #91?

Defence

Luca Sbisa...#5?

Forwards

Radim Vrbata...#17?

Nick Bonino...#13?

Bo Horvat...#53 (assigned already)

Linden Vey...? Does he stick with #57 that he wore for the Kings?

Derek Dorsett...#51?

Niklas Jensen...is he going to be #46 during his entire Canucks tenure?

Brendan Gaunce...does he go #41 or #61? Does he stay #50?

Hunter Shinkaruk...he's been #9 his WHL career...what does he go with?

What becomes of numbers 4, 7, 21, 24, 25?

Will the Canucks ever allow for use of nos. 11, 28, 3638 and 37? Personally, I hope these numbers remain out of circulation out of obvious respect for those who wore these numbers (minus Messier).

With Ryan Miller taking #30, what number is assigned to Cannatta? Will he dare take #1?

Anyways, something non-consequential to ponder.

No to allowing 11, 28, or 37. Linden was here for the Messier debacle and I doubt he'll allow it to happen again. Other than that, let the players pick whatever number they like.

Archived