The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning and Linden hidden agenda (Summary)

J.I.A.H.N

This has been one of my most favorite summers of hockey! Firings, Trades, Signings, Drafting and Speculation. And we are not even finished the summer!

I have been trying my best to curb my enthusiasm, but so many options, so many opinions, so many illusions, so many dreams! God! What fun!

So, let's talk about the illusions! Right now, with all our Veterans forwards in the lineup we look like this.

Dank Hank Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Kassian

Hansen Matthais Burrows

Dorsett Richardson Vey Spares:Sestito and Zalewski

It is my understanding that none of these players are waver exempt, therefore to waive any of them, there runs a real, almost 100% chance of being claimed. Not a good option!

Benning has said that he has finished tinkering for the summer, unless a team comes calling, no more moves.

But this is the illusion, both Benning and Linden have said they would like to see youth, brought into our line up. This, I believe is the trueth, also.

So my take on this is as follows:

Unless someone comes calling, Benning will enter training camp with this roster (Don't get bogged down on the positions, only for illistration purposes) He will have 3 real prospects competing for postions on the big club, they are Gaunce, Horvat, and Jensen ( 2 of these will make the Canucks)

Which will allow Benning to keep his word of going for the playoffs, playing youth, but trading 2 vets (Hansen and Burrows are my bet) for picks come late Sept. or he will keep them both until the deadline and then pull the plug if we are not in the playoff race

Will we be in the playoffs, well we will be close, will we have extra picks, yes I think so, do I have any idea what will happen this year? Not a chance! It will be interesting!

Anyone else think this ? Or close?

EDIT: Screwed up there......Not what Ban TSN meant! Geesh!

Which will allow Benning to keep his word of going for the playoffs, playing youth, but trading 2 vets (Hansen and Burrows are my bet) for picks come late Sept. or he will keep them both until the deadline and then pull the plug if we are not in the playoff race

I'm excited too.... but I'll take that bet

This is the worst time to trade Burrows. His value cannot be any lower, and I think at this point anyone who takes him is only using him to hit cap floor. I'd give him a chance to play. I always thought he was a casuallty of the Torts system. He'll bounce back.

With the 2015 3rd and 7th already gone and it being a quality draft, I think Benning will hold tightly to at least the 1st and 2nd unless something spectacular comes along (Johansen?). But yeah, with too many forwards to keep if there's no other changes until training camp it looks like two purposes at this point:

1. Competition at camp
2. Flip one or more into other assets

This has been one of my most favorite summers of hockey! Firings, Trades, Signings, Drafting and Speculation. And we are not even finished the summer!

I have been trying my best to curb my enthusiasm, but so many options, so many opinions, so many illusions, so many dreams! God! What fun!

So, let's talk about the illusions! Right now, with all our Veterans forwards in the lineup we look like this.

Dank Hank Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Kassian

Hansen Matthais Burrows

Dorsett Richardson Vey Spares:Sestito and Zalewski

It is my understanding that none of these players are waver exempt, therefore to waive any of them, there runs a real, almost 100% chance of being claimed. Not a good option!

Benning has said that he has finished tinkering for the summer, unless a team comes calling, no more moves.

But this is the illusion, both Benning and Linden have said they would like to see youth, brought into our line up. This, I believe is the trueth, also.

So my take on this is as follows:

Unless someone comes calling, Benning will enter training camp with this roster (Don't get bogged down on the positions, only for illistration purposes) He will have 3 real prospects competing for postions on the big club, they are Gaunce, Horvat, and Jensen ( 2 of these will make the Canucks)

Will we be in the playoffs, well we will be close, will we have extra picks, yes I think so, do I have any idea what will happen this year? Not a chance! It will be interesting!

Anyone else think this ? Or close?

I like the positivity! This also reads well.

I think Gaunce is more of a dark horse than a lot of people expect. Of those you listed, it's Horvat in the NHL or back to junior, because of this I think he's a lock with us for at least 9 games. I also think he's a better option than Richardson at 4C, but no one wants to see Horvat limited to that role.

Shinkaruk is interesting as I think he could well make this team if it wasn't for his injury. He plans on skating with Crosby, Phaneuf, and MacKinnon next week in Halifax so that should be interesting for his development. He's one of those guys with game breaking skill.

I personally think Burrows and/or Hansen are on the way out. I also think Richardson might be looking at a demotion, simply to bring in our prospects and much needed size to our bottom 6.

Defense is interesting as well, as I'm sure Corrado is trying to make it, and Sbisa wants a bigger role. These two will compete for the roster spot vacated by the enigmatic Garrison. Another interesting story line.

There's a lot to look forward, and I like you, can't wait to get this season started!

I'm excited too.... but I'll take that bet

Not that I am back tracking, but I orginally thought maybe Hansen and Higgins, but it makes more sense that it is Hansen and Burrows, as Hansen to the Peg is a no brainer and Benning has had offers for Burrows already.....but who really know......chances are I would loose that bet, but it would probably be a 3rd and a 2nd . So friggin much to think about, love it!

I agree with ya OP. This year is going to be exciting.

Vey is a for sure lock on the roster according to Benning.

Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, are all going to compete for that role. It's going to be interesting who makes the line up and watching them play next year. We haven't had this kind of excitement with our prospects since the Sedins and Kesler. So anyone could really take that 3rd line center position(Gaunce, Horvat). My guess is out of all the prospects, Horvat, Jensen and Gaunce look like the most "NHL" ready players. We don't want to rush things. And hopefully Virtanen can finish his last year with the Hitmens and look to compete for the starting role when Burrows and Higgins get moved. Or one more year in Utica.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Burrows/Bonino/Kassian

Higgins/Horvat or Gaunce/Vey

Matthias/Richardson/Dorsett

Again bot 6 going to look great, but the top 6 though. Lets hope Vrbata gets more points playing alongside a pass first playmaker in Henrik Sedin. I'm expecting a lot of things from our top 6. If Burrows or Higgins do get traded that opens up space for Shinkaruk/Virtanen/Jensen.

So let's hope the Canucks do well with progressing these prospects. We don't want another Patrick White, Josh Holden, Libor Polasek, Alek Stojanov, Jason Herter and possibly Jordan Schroeder. Boy boy, we were so close to drafting Patrik Stefan. Man if we did... if we did...

I'm glad we picked the Sedins.

Ossi.......I agree with you on Shinkaruk totally, But I think we would loose Richardson in a heart beat with a demotion....he would never clear......I don't know, I like his heart, plays a pretty honest game, but is a 4th line player, so I am not sure what the loss would be?

Getting back to Shinkaruk, I love his high end talent, but wonder if a year in the AHL wouldn't be best for him and us. I wish he was in Horvats body! Better yet Hansen's....(Faster than Horvat! Pretty durable)

Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, are all going to compete for that role. It's going to be interesting who makes the line up and watching them play next year. We haven't had this kind of excitement with our prospects since the Sedins and Kesler. So anyone could really take that 3rd line center position(Gaunce, Horvat). My guess is out of all the prospects, Horvat, Jensen and Gaunce look like the most "NHL" ready players. We don't want to rush things. And hopefully Virtanen can finish his last year with the Hitmens and look to compete for the starting role when Burrows and Higgins get moved. Or one more year in Utica.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Burrows/Bonino/Kassian

Higgins/Horvat or Gaunce/Vey

Matthias/Richardson/Dorsett

This lineup looks pretty realistic, with the Horvat/Gaunce competing for that third line center role. Jensen/Shinkaruk probably spend the year in Utica with call up duties. Hansen probably gets flipped somewhere for a pick, gotta clear up our logjam of bodies somehow. I think we'll see a larger infusion of youth next season or the season after.

Archived