The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning and Linden hidden agenda (Summary)

J.I.A.H.N

Here is an interesting question....what happens next year if the Canucks pick a bonafide 1st line center in the first round next year, along with MCann.......talk about a log jam at Center.....not to mention Cassels and Fox........poor refs could be throwing out centers all night! LOL....Never hurts to have too many centers! LOL

My bet is the Canucks either pick a defenseman in the first round or trade down and pick a denseman in the first round.....just joking but man that's a lot of Centers!

I dont think its a mistake the canucks have many centers look at LA and BOS. LA got Carter, Kopitar, Richards, Lewis. BOS got Bergeron, Krejci, Kelly. We have about 4 Centers to fill 3 positions in the future (2C,3C,4C) some of them can play wing and when injuries happen in the playoffs you really depend on your centers to carry the load.

Please no Higgins on the second line, would rather see Burr or a young gun.

I agree, along with Hanson. Tort's got me to the point where I hate them playing higher than 3rd line roles. Hanson has little finish with no size.

An interesting quote from Benning was:

If the young guys play hard and make the team WE WILL MAKE A SPOT for them.

I found that very interesting because we just have too many players at the moment. This will be the best canucks preseason/ training camp ever! Still a lot of question marks.

I personally think based on the prospects development camp that Horvat goes back to junior, Gaunce and Shinkaruk will start on the comets, which is perfect to actually have skilled prospects in the minors to call up.

Jensen will start on the canucks, zalewski is a wild card, Benning praised his play.

Another player people seem to forget is Kenins who is arguably nhl ready, a lot of people battling for jobs!

Here is an interesting question....what happens next year if the Canucks pick a bonafide 1st line center in the first round next year, along with MCann.......talk about a log jam at Center.....not to mention Cassels and Fox........poor refs could be throwing out centers all night! LOL....Never hurts to have too many centers! LOL

My bet is the Canucks either pick a defenseman in the first round or trade down and pick a denseman in the first round.....just joking but man that's a lot of Centers!

Yes lots of Cs that can also play W. Makes for +++ of options for the coach.

Canucks do not have a prospect that is a bonafide 1st line C and will need to acquire one (trade or draft) that will be NHL ready within the next 3/4 years. I think they do whatever is necessary to trade up in the 2015 and get the C they need.

Lots of top Ds are picked later in the 1st or in other rounds, but I agree, they also need to improve their D prospect pool.

I think folks are making too much of the "youth movement" idea... it is largely a fiction created by media here and not from anything Linden and Benning have said.

Benning did say a couple of times he would like to get younger... but he has already done that. He has already found younger NHL ready players who bridge the gap between our current older vets and our up and coming prospects.

Our current roster looks like:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Matthias-Vey-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Dorsett

Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Weber

Stanton

Sbisa s 24

Vey is 22

Bonino is 26

... all younger players who in 3 years will be in their prime as our prospects are maturing into real players.

Think of it like succession planning (preparing replacements) rather than suddenly firing all the older guys and putting in rookies. You want a mix of guys at all ages and stages of their careers, some younger NHL ready guys on the way up to replace the older top guys, some prospects to fill in behind behind those younger NHL guys. Our big organizational gap was the younger NHL ready guys in the 20-25 year old range who were knocking on the door for bigger roles. We also had a lack of prospects behind them.

I think they have taken a big step towards addressing those issues, of course it is a work in progress and not every player/prospect brought in will pan out. It is entirely possible we could make another move to allow for a roster spot for another young player... maybe once they see who (if any) prospects are really ready during training camp we will see some roster space made... but it is equally likely that those guys will have a chance later in the season for injury call ups.

Kassian will be expected to play a bigger role this year, probably in the top 6.... he is 23. Last season Kesler at almost 30 was our youngest in the top 6... now we have two guys 26 and 23.

We had a defensive core who were all close to the wrong side of 30 except Tanev. Now we have added another guy in Sbisa. Hopefully those guys are ready in 2-3 years to take bigger roles as our older guys start losing a step. By then we should see another couple of prospects (or traded players) step up .

Please no Higgins on the second line, would rather see Burr or a young gun.

Unfortunately I could only plus you once.

I am pig sick of seeing line ups with Higgins on the 2nd line. He is barely a 3rd liner and Hansen is barely fit for the 4th. Neither are fit to lace Burrs boots.

Burr had one bad season due to injury. The kind of injuries that affect your play longer than it takes them to heal. I am confident he will be back as good as ever, especially under Willie.

Unfortunately I could only plus you once.

I am pig sick of seeing line ups with Higgins on the 2nd line. He is barely a 3rd liner and Hansen is barely fit for the 4th. Neither are fit to lace Burrs boots.

Burr had one bad season due to injury. The kind of injuries that affect your play longer than it takes them to heal. I am confident he will be back as good as ever, especially under Willie.

I completely agree about Higgins and Hansen on the second line, please no! However I think Higgins and Hansen make a great 3rd line

Gotta say, Great comments!

I really like that 4th line of Matthais, Richardson, Dorsett....that's a damn fine 4th line.....teams are going to hate seeing that line roll out for 10 to 12 minutes a game!

On another note, Benning and Linden have to be working off a 5 yr plan or something close. I think with the begining of the TL and JB era just starting, it will be very interesting. Something to consider strongly will be, as someone pointed out, after the teams are set after training camp.

Now IF all the vets survive to day 1 of the season, it will still be only time before the likes of, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Richardson, will be ushered out. Think about it, even IF these 4 vets make the entire season, there will be even more preasure to move them by the draft, as our kids that were ready/almost Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Virtanen (Yes Virtanen) preasure the vets going into the 2015-2016 season, not to mention our first round pick from the 2015 draft, that could be NHL ready ( "I said COULD" ), that will be 5 young studs looking for employement in the 2015-2016 season, at the latest!

That brings us back to this season, training camp, trade deadline, and the 2015 draft. So in less than 1 year, the Canucks have to make room for these players, or at the very least 2 or 3 of the 5.......this brings us back to the question of the vets named earlier and who will be moved out. I believe in less than a year, you will see 3 if not all 4 gone, there is simply no room for them all, despite them turning down trade requests.......those players will see the writing on the wall.........and will waive their NTC

Yes and I love Burrows too! But it might be his time to go....better yet if he comes out flying, it doesn't change the fact that he has to move as he is getting older, and there is preasure from the young guns!

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Kassian-Bonino-Burrows

Higgins-Horvat-Vey

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton

Miller

Lack

most likely, (barring trades) the starting lineup, this fall. All depends on how Horvat shows up, though

Bonino might centre Kass and Burr next season but going forward that's going to be Bo's line and it might be Hunter instead of Burrows on the other wing.

Over the course of their contract the Sedins will transition to effective 3rd line/PP guys. Lots of room for young skilled top 6 forwards.

Now we need a real quality D prospect.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Kassian-Bonino-Burrows

Higgins-Horvat-Vey

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton

Miller

Lack

Thats actually close to a playoff team with decent goaltending and people playing better then last year. If they play like last year or Henrik gets hurt ... yikes..

Guest Dasein

HUGE misinterpretation of what Benning said.

The best 12 forwards play. Jensen, Gaunce nor Horvat are given any exceptional preference as to making the team this year. The point of having all these competitions is to ensure that our young guys are not GIVEN roster spots - which you are doing (ex - "He will have 3 real prospects competing for postions on the big club, they are Gaunce, Horvat, and Jensen ( 2 of these will make the Canucks)").

Benning said he'd move roster players to make room for young players if they impress. You gotta take that at face value - he literally means that if the young players outperform a veteran and show that they are the best option at a certain position, he will move the roster player to make room for the best player for that position.

(Left-Wing); Sedin, Higgins, Burrows, Zalewski , Shinkaruk ?.

(Center); Sedin, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson, Gaunce, Horvat.

(Right-Wing); Vrbata, Kassian, Dorsett, Hansen , vey, Jensen ? .

(Defence); Hamhuise, Edler, Bieksa, Tanev, Sbisa, Stanton, Sanguinetti, Corrado .

( My 14-15 Lineup);

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Shinkaruk/Jensen - Bonino - Vrbata

Higgins - Matthias - Kassian

Dorsett - Richardson - Vey

-Sestito-

Hamhuis - Edler

Tanev - Bieksa

Sbisa - Stanton

-Sanguinetti-

What about this? ^^ Please note, im not to educated on defense positions/handedness and Shinkaruk could easily be swapped for Jensen, hansen is dead to me

Archived