The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many years until our 1st round prospects are NHL regulars?

Rex425

I think Gaunce and Shinkaruk could earn a lot of frequent flyer miles this season going back and forth between the Canucks and Comets as they will likely be first guys for injury replacement call up.

If they don't think Horvat has anything else to learn in Junior, they will find a place for him in Vancouver.

There are always injuries in training camp, there will be unexpected positions that open up.

I think Gaunce and Shinkaruk could earn a lot of frequent flyer miles this season going back and forth between the Canucks and Comets as they will likely be first guys for injury replacement call up.

If they don't think Horvat has anything else to learn in Junior, they will find a place for him in Vancouver.

There are always injuries in training camp, there will be unexpected positions that open up.

I'm not convinced that Gaunce will ever be more than a fringe NHLer, with a 50-100 game nhl career. I would like to see both Horvat and Shink make it, or at least get a 9 game tryout.

Horvat- another year in junior

Shink- year in AHL and then call up duties the next year

Gaunce- year in the AHL then hopefully there is room for him on the team.

Virtanen - At least 3 years, he is only 17

McCann- 3-4 years

Jensen I could see him bouncing between the A and Canucks this year.

Sedins didn't make an impact until 6 years later, although they were playing full time hockey. their impact was very minimal

I am expecting AT LEAST 4 years for any of these guys to make an "impact." Horvat will probably play for us 15 16 season, that said, he will be a 3rd line player, and not make a significant impact until he's like 24 or 25. Kinda like Ryan Kesler, who didn't really break out until Sundin showed him the way, and that was 5 years later, until Kesler became a 59 point player.

Sedins were not point per game guys until the 2005 2006 season, which is 6 full seasons of developing.

so yes... don't expect any of them to make an impact soon.

I'm of this belief. Average nhl players develop in juniors/ahl. Top level NHL players develop in the NHL. You have to be patient and expect growing pains. But from what I've looked at so far, if a player has not played a full season in the nhl by the time they're 3rd season that they were eligible to play in the nhl, they usually become a career call up, bust or the lucky ones become a third liner or 5th D man at best.

Players should be ready to dominate by the age of 24-25, not just breaking into the league. Considering that the average nhl career is 244 games over a 5 year span, to give a player best odds at beating the average, they have to start young. 1 last stat I read is that only 1 in 25 players will play a career of 1000 games(12 seasons).

Think about that for a minute...1 in 25 draft picks should be expected to be a long term player. (That's 1 every 3.5 years for those who pencil in every Canuck draft pick as making the roster)

I'm of this belief. Average nhl players develop in juniors/ahl. Top level NHL players develop in the NHL. You have to be patient and expect growing pains. But from what I've looked at so far, if a player has not played a full season in the nhl by the time they're 3rd season that they were eligible to play in the nhl, they usually become a career call up, bust or the lucky ones become a third liner or 5th D man at best.

Players should be ready to dominate by the age of 24-25, not just breaking into the league. Considering that the average nhl career is 244 games over a 5 year span, to give a player best odds at beating the average, they have to start young. 1 last stat I read is that only 1 in 25 players will play a career of 1000 games(12 seasons).

Think about that for a minute...1 in 25 draft picks should be expected to be a long term player. (That's 1 every 3.5 years for those who pencil in every Canuck draft pick as making the roster)

But you forget we have had 2 top 10 picks the last two years (usually have a long nhl career) so were more likely to have 2-4 that will have long nhl careers.

Also if they come out of collage it's harder for them to play 12 NHL seasons since they are anywhere from 22-25 years old

Archived