The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Del Zotto.... I am on a roll!

Michael Del Zotto is a 24 year old offensive defenseman. He has had a 41 pt. NHL Season, and his worst +/- was -9.

OK, here is my pitch. Sign Del Zotto to a 3 year $500,000 Utica minor league contract. Now with 3 years, he gets to play in the AHL and gain his confidence, and work on the defensive side of his game.

Now he would not be owned by the Canucks, and therefore would not be counted against the cap. There is no re-entry waivers any more, therefore the Canucks could theoredically purchase his contract from Utica, which they control and own, and then negociate a nhl contract with him if he proves worthy as an offensive defenseman.

It is a gamble for the Canuck owners, but if he came around, what a plumb it would be.

Shadier things are done all the time! Is it legal?

Thoughts?????

Michael Del Zotto is a 24 year old offensive defenseman. He has had a 41 pt. NHL Season, and his worst +/- was -9.

OK, here is my pitch. Sign Del Zotto to a 3 year $500,000 Utica minor league contract. Now with 3 years, he gets to play in the AHL and gain his confidence, and work on the defensive side of his game.

Now he would not be owned by the Canucks, and therefore would not be counted against the cap. There is no re-entry waivers any more, therefore the Canucks could theoredically purchase his contract from Utica, which they control and own, and then negociate a nhl contract with him if he proves worthy as an offensive defenseman.

It is a gamble for the Canuck owners, but if he came around, what a plumb it would be.

Thoughts?????

It doesn't make sense to Del Zotto. He will either sign an NHL contract or go to the KHL.

first of all, 500k 2 way contract isn't even possible because that's below the minimum salary cap.

secondly, he's a left side defenseman.

thirdly, he doesn't play any defense.

fourth, he wouldn't accept that contract anyways

last but not least, he sucks.

first of all, 500k 2 way contract isn't even possible because that's below the minimum salary cap.

secondly, he's a left side defenseman.

thirdly, he doesn't play any defense.

fourth, he wouldn't accept that contract anyways

last but not least, he sucks.

500k is over 10 times the minimum salary cap.....

KHL? If the guy went to the KHL, he'll be run out. I've been saying this for years, the guy doesn't have any thing that stands out. He's decent on the PP, and crap everything else. A defense man who plays small, doesn't get involved physically, can't skate worth a damn, What's worse is that, people just look at his stats, and age and think, hey, maybe he has potential to grow. He has regressed every single year for the Rangers.

Not at the NHL level its not. THe OP was suggesting he be signed to an AHL only deal I think which would not make it a two way deal.

Good luck getting him to go to the AHL. He will go make money in the KHL before he would ever do that.

I know heh

KHL? If the guy went to the KHL, he'll be run out. I've been saying this for years, the guy doesn't have any thing that stands out. He's decent on the PP, and crap everything else. A defense man who plays small, doesn't get involved physically, can't skate worth a damn, What's worse is that, people just look at his stats, and age and think, hey, maybe he has potential to grow. He has regressed every single year for the Rangers.

He still has some offensive ability so someone somewhere will very likely take a gamble on him. NHL or KHL.

He still has some offensive ability so someone somewhere will very likely take a gamble on him. NHL or KHL.

His style doesn't fit the KHL at all. If he signed there, give it 10 games for him to have his contract terminated. He's better off going to the Swedish Elite league. Some team like Carolina or Buffalo should give him a two-way contract.

His style doesn't fit the KHL at all. If he signed there, give it 10 games for him to have his contract terminated. He's better off going to the Swedish Elite league. Some team like Carolina or Buffalo should give him a two-way contract.

You are under rating him a bit. He has regressed and has some big holes in his game but he still could fit a niche for a team looking for a project. An NHL team will very likely sign him. He might get a crappy contract but I doubt it would be a two way deal.

You are under rating him a bit. He has regressed and has some big holes in his game but he still could fit a niche for a team looking for a project. An NHL team will very likely sign him. He might get a crappy contract but I doubt it would be a two way deal.

Sorry pal, but you've been wrong too many times to count. Don't be surprised if it happens again.

I think the worst he'll do is get a $1 M, 1-year "show-me" deal (e.g. for Heatley, Raymond last year). NO WAY he goes back to the "A" for 3 years for minimum salary.

However, if he, McBain and Booth don't want to wait for an NHL contract they can always bolt overseas and become all-stars in the K.

I think the worst he'll do is get a $1 M, 1-year "show-me" deal (e.g. for Heatley, Raymond last year). NO WAY he goes back to the "A" for 3 years for minimum salary.

However, if he, McBain and Booth don't want to wait for an NHL contract they can always bolt overseas and become all-stars in the K.

Here is the thing. You know Del Zotto will not go back for 3 years, I know it, he knows it, his agent knows it, Utica knows it, and so does everyone else. So the point is, he goes to the AHL, works with coaches that have time and the ability to spend time with him, working on the holes in his game

.......no preasure, no sitting games, guaranteed PP time, some penalty killing time, then when the Canucks think he is ready they sign him to a contract that reflects his now NHL ability....say 3 year 2 million contract. and bring him up with no re-entry waivers.

The beauty for Del Zotto and his agent is, they should now have an awareness that he has some real problems in his game that need to be worked on......and they would see the Canucks commitment to helping him improve by giving him such a large AHL contract....they should also have the realization that the Canucks truely do want him up with the big club, and this is only for their mutual betterment.

If when he comes up, he doesn't turn out, you waive him and have another NHL Team take on his salary. Is there risk, you bet! For both Del Zotto and the Canucks. But the reward for both are also equal if it turns out. If I was Del Zotto, I would think long and hard about an offer like that.

The alternative, is signing with another team and not playing well, being benched, not having time to work on his game, and ultimately ending in the AHL in a less than flattering way.....with less chance of coming back or being picked up by some other team.

These players only have so many lives! If you are basically cut by 3 teams in 3 years....you are probably done with the NHL.

I advocate the one step back, three step forward theory for him, starting with the one step backwards first......get it in the wrong order and bye bye!

Thoughts?????

Not that it matters, but he had a -20 season in 09-10. Actually no -9 season at all according to http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96525%C2'> Any how. I'd love to take a chance on him, I've wanted him since the day he became UFA. We need a guy like him on the back end to dish the puck out. Haven't had anyone like him since Ehrhoff.

Not that it matters, but he had a -20 season in 09-10. Actually no -9 season at all according to Any how. I'd love to take a chance on him, I've wanted him since the day he became UFA. We need a guy like him on the back end to dish the puck out. Haven't had anyone like him since Ehrhoff.

Michael Del Zotto

current status:Unrestricted free agent
#5 D | 6'0", 195 lbs. |
Birth Date:June 24, 1990 (24 years old)

Place of Birth:Stouffville, Ont.

Shoots:L

Experience:5 years

Drafted:Drafted by NY Rangers in 2008 (1/20).

Scouting Report
Assets: Skates very well, both up and down the ice as well as laterally. Understands the power-play dynamic and is good at making plays as the quarterback. Oozes offensive upside. Flaws: Needs more work in terms of his defensive-zone coverage, and must utilize his frame more in order to become a better defender. Must also limit his mistakes with the puck. Career Potential: Offensive defenseman with upside.
Career Honors & Awards
League Honor Description NHL All-Rookie Team 2009-10 OHL Third All-Star Team 2008-09

Ok first, I was wrong, his first year he was -20, I stand corrected, but it was his first year! Secondly, if you take a look at his +/- for the 2013-2014 season, you might understand , that neither one of us are too observant! We make a good pair....but at least mine was his first year, not his last! LOL

Archived