The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

In Vancouver, after a disastrous season there's hope for the future. Ownership saw not only the teams shortfalls but their own shortfalls as owners too and made vast changes.

Calgary has hied Burke and he has hired yes men. Even with a great draft Calgary fans aren't really all that jacked up about the coming season. Why ? Because in reality nothing has changed.

In Edmonton ownership still thinks that if they've won on the ice ex Oilers can win as executives.What a joke that is. Watching Edmonton at the draft was a joke. Ownership and management parading their way up to the podium with the overgrown spoiled kid that appeared to be the owner's son.

Is there the hope in Calgary and Edmonton that there is in Vancouver for the up coming season?

The two management groups are totally different, Edmonton seems to mishandle their young up and comers that seem stuck.

Calgary with Burke whom I feel is out of touch with the new NHL.

Pssst. Don't look now but the Canucks appear to be installing a good ol' boys club of their own.

Canucks took a look a look in the mirror and made some big moves, yup, but they're behind Calgary in the rebuild and well behind Edmonton, so don't be shocked if there's a few years when they perform better in the standings.

Pssst. Don't look now but the Canucks appear to be installing a good ol' boys club of their own.

Canucks took a look a look in the mirror and made some big moves, yup, but they're behind Calgary in the rebuild and well behind Edmonton, so don't be shocked if there's a few years when they perform better in the standings.

Maybe on Cal but no to Edmonton.

Maybe on Cal but no to Edmonton.

Difficult to say. Their coach is a joke but their lineup is improved. Draisaitl's the big center they've been lacking and their defense isn't riddled with KHL garbage anymore. But there's still holes. Bottom line is we can't just assume Edmonton will remain a basement team forever. That was like thinking the Sedins would remain elite forever.

Difficult to say. Their coach is a joke but their lineup is improved. Draisaitl's the big center they've been lacking and their defense isn't riddled with KHL garbage anymore. But there's still holes. Bottom line is we can't just assume Edmonton will remain a basement team forever. That was like thinking the Sedins would remain elite forever.

The only positive or humour when comparing to edmonton is that, assuming we are in "rebuild" mode...technically edmonton is in the same phase we are in right now. The funny part is that they are in this phase for the last six years with little to no progress.

As far as there lineup is concerned...people have told me about their improved lineup for the last six years.

So, as of right now, i'm just going to wait and see...

The Oilers I agree with.

The Flames I'm not so sure.

They have some really excellent prospects from the last couple of drafts, much like we do.

And they did go out and got Hiller to work in tandem with Ramo, which was a good move on their part.

We had a tough time against them last season as they're a hard working team, and looking at their bigger lineup for this season, I'm not sure it'll be much different.

So yeah, I think the Flames do have hope.

The Oilers I agree with.

The Flames I'm not so sure.

They have some really excellent prospects from the last couple of drafts, much like we do.

And they did go out and got Hiller to work in tandem with Ramo, which was a good move on their part.

We had a tough time against them last season as they're a hard working team, and looking at their bigger lineup for this season, I'm not sure it'll be much different.

So yeah, I think the Flames do have hope.

With the Flames you can see effort and a good sense of positive culture change. Edmonton is just plain stalling.

The only positive or humour when comparing to edmonton is that, assuming we are in "rebuild" mode...technically edmonton is in the same phase we are in right now. The funny part is that they are in this phase for the last six years with little to no progress.

As far as there lineup is concerned...people have told me about their improved lineup for the last six years.

So, as of right now, i'm just going to wait and see...

I hear you. I compare that to talk about the Canucks being a playoff team this year. It's the media's job to hype up these teams so they can sell some tickets. That being said, I think they made some moves to be somewhat more competitive this year. They added two top-9 forwards, drafted a top-6, and signed 2-3 top-4 defensemen. And they only lost Gagner, who was awful last year? That's pretty darn significant lineup upgrade.

I await to see how they handle the Yakupov gongshow though.

I hear you. I compare that to talk about the Canucks being a playoff team this year. It's the media's job to hype up these teams so they can sell some tickets. That being said, I think they made some moves to be somewhat more competitive this year. They added two top-9 forwards, drafted a top-6, and signed 2-3 top-4 defensemen. And they only lost Gagner, who was awful last year? That's pretty darn significant lineup upgrade.

I await to see how they handle the Yakupov gongshow though.

If I was Yak, do i get out early or sign 1 or 2 years to see what happens.

Wow the absolute amount of entitlement amongst the Vancouver fans is kind of frightening.

What makes us better than the Flames or Oilers right now? I am sorry but someone please tell me. Something we did almost 4 years ago? Great. What since then? because last year we were 3 and 2 spots back from them in the standings respectively.

The Oilers have gotten a year older and heavier. They have young prospective studs like Musil, Klefbom, Nurse ready to walk in to their line up. They got better in net and better and heavier on both the blue line and bottom 6. They have outstanding depth at forward and skill from the 1st through 3rd lines. And yes Draisatl will most certainly start this year. Added they are not done with free agency. As it stands right now we ejected better players than they did and really didn't improve any less than they did in the off season.

The Flames have some awesome young stand outs ready to walk in to the line up. They got better in net and while their prospect depth isn't the greatest Burke is not an idiot. The guy can build a club. They have a 4th line that will literally beat the shat out of anyone in the league a 3rd line that can bang and crash harder than all but maybe 4 teams in the league and while they are not skilled they will outwork most teams all over the ice. Last year they lost more 1 goal games than ANYONE in the league and had they either had A: Better scoring, or B: Better goaltending and defence they would have probably finished better than us in the standings. Adding the players they did actually shores them up in those essential areas and while Bennett will most certainly not play this year they've a few picks over the last 2 seasons that can walk in to the line up if needed.

So I ask again, by ejecting Kesler, Luongo, Santorelli and more and adding Vrbata, Miller and Vey do you REALLY think we are entitled to lord our once mighty teams success over the Oilers and Flames right now as it stands?

Because. They can do the same thing, but they can buff their past cup wins while they do it.

Just some food for thought, we as it stands are no better or worse than them and to think otherwise is completely laughable.

Wait until January and come back with this thread.

If I was Yak, do i get out early or sign 1 or 2 years to see what happens.

If I am Oilers brass do I trade Yak for solid top 6 help or bottom 4 help?

Think of it that way. They have pieces and assets a plenty to move at leisure

I'm sorry but there's a reasonably good chance that the Canucks are going the exact same way of these franchises. Not only that but they could be going that way just as Calgary and Edmonton are coming back up, so Vancouver could potentially be the worst Canadian team in the NHL for the next couple of years.

I'm sorry but there's a reasonably good chance that the Canucks are going the exact same way of these franchises. Not only that but they could be going that way just as Calgary and Edmonton are coming back up, so Vancouver could potentially be the worst Canadian team in the NHL for the next couple of years.

that's more than fine. Its not fine however to remain mediocre for 5 years like Calgary, or dead last for 4 years like Edmonton. Lots of teams go from good to bad and rise up again without stalling. Thats what we are looking for.

Archived