The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hold up on suggesting to trade Gaunce (Discussion)

So after just reading another trade Gaunce proposal, I though I would put my 2 cents worth in.

I have always like Gaunce since we drafted him. If I remember right, he had fallen in the draft just a little and I realized how lucky we were to have gotten him.

The knock on him was that he was a little slower than others, but that his positional play made up for it. I wondered exactly how he would have placed if he could skate better.

Well, fast forward a couple years, Gaunce has matured, gotten bigger, added more offense to his aready decent repetoire, and according to all that seen him at the prospects camp, has improved his quickness, and foot speed substancially.

This will not make him a number one center, but he has improved his possiblities of being a force and contributer as either a strong center or a 3 line winger.

To me having the possibility of Hank, Bonino, Horvat, Gaunce down the middle at sometime in the future, will make us incrediblly strong and much better to compete with the LA's and San Jose's of this league.

Depending on Bonino Horvat, and McCann, and whether any of them can max out thier potential, we could have truely increased our future depth at center, and Gaunce will be a very big part of thier developement, as the Canucks will know that at worst, they have 3 number 2 centers (Not a bad thing!) and a very strong 3rd line center

So lets watch all 4 players development this 2014-2015 season, lets see how Bonino, Horvat, McCann and Gaunce pan out repectively, and hope all 4 continue progressing.

This out come is the key to our 2014-2015 draft, as it will make it much easier for Jim Benning to relax his search for that number one center and focus on other key positions such as a #1 PMD or just the mere fact of the ability trade down......this doesn't happen as much when you are under the gun.

In any case, Gaunce is an important part of our future.......Let's us not trade him until we really see what we have in him.......I honestly think he is a diamond in the rough.

What is just as important now, is the progression of Cassels, Fox and Lain

People were saying the Sedin's were at best 2nd line guys as well. And there was those (including me) that thought 3rd line centre was the top end for Kesler.

I like Gaunce, there's a lot of untapped potential there, as well as leadership qualities. You can always work on your skating. You can't teach offensive talent.

He has hands and the head and this year we get to see how he can put it all together.

Waiting to see how well he does in the AHL this year.

Never too worried about Gaunce as I was Schroeder.

Hoping Minnesota can help Jordan make the next step.

What I find very encouraging for the future is that Gaunce, Horvat, Cassels, McCann, and even Fox are not only responsible at both ends of the ice, but all are also excellent in the face-off circle. Remember back to 2011 and the previous couple of years, the Canucks' puck possession gameplay was very much centered on the ability to win draws. Having 3 or 4 of these guys down the middle means we don't have to play the Kesler-or-Manny-out-to-take-the-draw-then-jump-back-on-the-bench thing.

There are many things to like about Gaunce:

(1) He appears to be a quiet, patient, confident young man with leadership qualities.

(2) Is a man-child who has the physical maturity and strength to play in the professional ranks.

(3) Is a player who already understands positional play, is defensively responsible, good on draws, and knows his responsibilities in all three zones of the ice (i.e., already has a pro-ready game).

(4) Seems to be a coachable young man...he seems to understand what his strengths and weaknesses are and is willing to work on his weaknesses.

(5) Versatile enough to play LW or C. I would be fine with a collection of 12 centres in the forward position if they were the best 12 forwards. You can never have too many good centremen in your system.

I'm also of the opinion that his so-called lack of speed is grossly over-exaggerated. He seems to lack that first stride explosiveness, but he seems to get from point A to B as fast as anyone else.

The ONLY thing lacking in Gaunce is a mean streak.

I love there Brendan Gaunce pick. Last year at training camp I thought he really almost pushed for a job and he's only gotten better. People at the camp are saying he has definitely improved on his skating since last year. They want a little more, but definitely much better. He plays a mature game, and can really make an impact as a third liner. Maybe even better. And since he can play both center and wing, it makes him very flexible in the lineup

Hold up on trading prospects period.

The Canucks were the busiest team in the league and people still want them to make more changes.

Go tell some other teams to trade their prospects, the Canucks are done for the off-season

we really need to stop putting any of our prospects in proposals. Since we've been chasing the models of other teams for so long, how about we take a look at what Anaheim does. Makes moves that doesn't involve prospects so they can not only win now, but for years to come.

I was one of the people that mentioned him in a trade but only for top end young defensive help.

At centre we have Hank, bonino, Bo, Vey, Richardson, Matthias (I think he plays centre too ? ) Gaunce, McCann and a few longer shots.

I think Gaunce can be our Stoll for a long time. Love his game and his attitude but I hate the depth we have on the back end right now.

Wouldn't trade him for any win now deals for forwards but I would if it meant a young dman was coming back.

The way I see it is that he is the perfect 3c in our future. He will be probably one of the best If not the best 3c in the league. If he is our 2c. Then he will topped our as an average 2c I believe. Nothing is for sure but I would love a heavy 3c for once he reminds me of Matthias but a better 2way player.

Future

Shrinkaruk horvat Virtanen

Kassian Maccann Jensen

Vey gaunce classels

Grenier lain Archibald

? Tanev

Sbisa corrado

Subban Hutton

Demko

Markstrom

That 1ld spot is for our 2015 1st rounder I hope

Are they any other dman in our pool that has a chance in the NHL in the next 4-6years?

We are gonna win a cup in the next 10years

The way I see it is that he is the perfect 3c in our future. He will be probably one of the best If not the best 3c in the league. If he is our 2c. Then he will topped our as an average 2c I believe. Nothing is for sure but I would love a heavy 3c for once he reminds me of Matthias but a better 2way player.

Future

Shrinkaruk horvat Virtanen

Kassian Maccann Jensen

Vey gaunce classels

Grenier lain Archibald

? Tanev

Sbisa corrado

Subban Hutton

Demko

Markstrom

That 1ld spot is for our 2015 1st rounder I hope

Are they any other dman in our pool that has a chance in the NHL in the next 4-6years?

We are gonna win a cup in the next 10years

UGH. NO. And please, if you're going to put that much time into a post, spell the players names correctly.

We're stacked with middle-6 centers, the Canucks desperately need a top-end #1 future center and if it comes at the expense of one of those middle-6 centers then so be it.

Vey is a 2nd line center, 1st line center at best if he's lucky.

Horvat is a 2nd line center, Bergeron-like 1st line center at very best.

McCann is still young but looks to be a 2nd line center, weak 1st line center at very best - just like Cassels.

Gaunce is a 3rd or 4th line center, 2nd line center at best.

Lain is a 3rd line center at best.

I'm being optimistic with those estimates. Horvat will most likely be a fantastic 2nd line center and Gaunce will probably end up a great 3rd or 4th line center, but that leaves Vey, McCann and Cassels all fighting for the #1C and 3C or 4C when they're really not suited to either position.

We still need that elite #1C.

Archived