The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

Believe it or not, if Benning wants to change this team for the best it will involve getting rid of Burrows.

We can all love him here for what he's done, but at the same time he doesn't bring $4.5M worth of a player to the table.

Didnt you see the OT goal from '11 that the OP posted? Don't use your head, use your emotion.

Don't over do yourself with a worth while contribution. If you have a a better response or suggestion spill it out

The OP used the '11 OT playoff game in his post as part of the reason why he's so upset with people even considering trading Burrows. It is now '14 with a new wave of young players coming in. Pointing this out to the OP made total sense to me. But it might not to someone who's living in the past.

With the word on the street being he has said no to waiving his NTC (which is well within his rights and we shouldn't fault him for that). I am happy to give him the chance to play that 2nd line LW position, and big PK minutes. If he brings solid defense, good penalty killing, energy, and scores around 20g 20a 40p, I'll consider it a successful season.

Burr is an overpaid, overrated rotten third liner. The only reason he used to score a lot was because of the sedins who are now old.

I got pissed off watching him screw up last year. He is not what this team needs.

Were you saying the same thing when he was potting goals 2-3 years ago? Were you a fan then? Did he score a lot because of the Sedins? Probably. Doesn't matter as long as he's getting those goals. Chemistry matters. I don't usually flame other posters, but you are one of those "fans" that teams don't need. Calling Burrows rotten... seriously? You talk like he recorded himself sleeping with your wife and then sent the video to you.

With that said, Burrows is tradeable if given the right price. We have too many aging vets as it is already.

Watch this. And remember who you're talking about.

Burrows is our heart-and-soul player. He has the clutch ability other teams pray to have. One injury filled season does not change that. You can't replace a player like Burrows very easily. His ability to perform when it matters most is impeccable. He's willing to shed blood and tears if the team benefits from it. I've been following Burrows since he was a 3rd line grinder and even then, he had the ability to turn games around by himself. He's a leader, and an inspiration for the rest of the team to play as well as he does.

I want the critics to stop saying trade Burrows. It would be the worst decision our management could make if he is moved. I see Burrows rebounding HARD next season.

You can easily replace a guy like Burrows with an actual top 6 forward instead of paying a 3rd liner top 6 forward dollars that's exactly why he is on the trade block.

We will not get another player in place of him for the same money and all the same attributes. Who is out there and available? Can anyone answer that; no you can't because there is no one available that is any better and as I have said before, to get the same value, you will need to relent in giving up more to another team.

I am all ears, let's hear your answers

Patrick Sharp. Not a UFA but pretty available for trade. Costs more but also puts up more points.

I love Burrows the player. He is one of the few players that always seems to show up, even if it doesn't show up on the score sheet. Younger players need these role models (see Edmonton for the alternative) Burrows is the most versatile player this team has (when playing good hockey, I personally think last year was an anomaly) He can play top line with the Sedins, second line, third line, penalty kill, left wing, right wing pretty much a swiss army knife with heart.

I'm torn on this one. If the right deal came along or he was taking up a roster spot and wasn't productive I would move him. I agree the return won't be great. But it's the roster spot/opportunity for a younger player and the cap space that would make it the right move. Plus we may get some calls for us instead of against us. The poor guy is blacklisted by the ref's, some deserved, some not.

If he's here I'm okay with it. But I would like to see a younger player get an opportunity to grow, just like he did. Maybe he needs to go to allow this to happen.

The OP used the '11 OT playoff game in his post as part of the reason why he's so upset with people even considering trading Burrows. It is now '14 with a new wave of young players coming in. Pointing this out to the OP made total sense to me. But it might not to someone who's living in the past.

I think I found the fan that's destroying the team ;)

I like burrows but he is done I don't get why people are expecting him to bounce back. Its not going to happen stop living in the past.

And why wouldn't he bounce back enlighten us. Not saying your wrong but there is no way to know, if any player could bounce back from a bad year you'd put the best odds on the hardest working player on the team wouldn't you? HE CAME BACK FROM A MAJOR INJURY AND HAD A NEW COACH THAT NOBODY PLAYED WELL FOR.... But right you know he can't bounce back...

Burrows has very little trade value today...I'm hoping that he has a bounce back year in 2014-2015 so that if we happen to be sellers at the trade deadline, we will be able to maximize our return for him (assuming he waives his NTC at that time).

People bringing up Game 7 Conference quarter finals are like people bringing up Burrows' hair pulling incident on Duncan Keith/diving/calling out Auger...all those things are in the past, and have zero value today.

IMO, every single player is or should be a moveable asset...if it makes the Canucks a better team for the present or the future, I'm all for moving any player. Burrows included. One thing for sure, Burrows at a cap hit of $4.5M is going to have a ton of pressure on him to play and produce like a second liner. I'm counting on Burrows wanting to prove everyone, including himself that he's not the car wreck that he was in 2013-2014. If he doesn't, I'm sure he'll be quick to be put on JB's trade list.

The OP was dumb using that old clip. It was bound to bring up the obvious what-have-you-done-for-me-lately backlash. But one thing that is valuable about it is that it shows an example of Burrows scoring WITHOUT a Sedin. He is not a Carter. He not only doesn't need a Sedin to score (although it sure helps), he also doesn't need the Sedins to forecheck tenaciously and to penalty kill expertly.

For all he's done for the Canucks, and proving what he can do when healthy, I think we can give him a mulligan on last season especially since he was perpetually in recovery mode with THREE freaking bad injuries. Playing for a whacky coach that reportedly didn't even want him on the team. IMO I think he'll have a bounce back season.

If he's traded its a huge gamble that you'd get a return of equal value. If you also include the fact of Burrows being so well ingrained and liked on the team, and the fact that any new player must go through adjusting to a new city, new team mates, moving his family etc..I don't get why you'd do it. OK....if the return was absolutely irresistible, never say never. But 4.5 for what a healthy Burrows can deliver on a nightly basis?.....Its ridiculous to even consider it.

And I'll also add, I am not discounting the chance we go all the way next year. That's right, I said it. Any year you can be firing on all cylinders at just the right time. Other teams can (for once) have key injury troubles. With our new players, including MIller, with a healthy Burrows, and Santo, and whoever we get with the Kesler cap space...Add some luck from the Hockey Gods anything is possible. Its happened before with other teams. We still have the Sedins signed. We are not Calgary.....yet. We don't need to completely blow the team up at this point.

I say we keep burr I'd be so pissed,if we traded him, we lost a lot of great players for sweet f a IMO and we trade burr we will once again get sweet f a enough is enough. We can't keep trading players for less return had enough of people complain about our players and complain more once the trade happens because we get less than expected

Well I trading practises sure haven't got us anywhere yet. I am sick and tired of making bonehead moves and trading Burrows at this juncture is not the right move. He deserves another year to get back to his level. If he doesn't then consider moving him. He suffered last year due to his injuries. Forget what he is getting paid. Everyone needs to sit back and quit knee jerking on this issue.

Totally agree. I don't see the harm in taking a breath, seeing what he brings to the table in a 2nd/3rd line role this year as our younger wingers develop. If they come along fast or Burr plays bad - they'll take his spot (assuming we're taking Benning at his word)... but regardless, his play can determine if he's one of the older pieces we'll be moving next summer when there really will be prospects knocking on the door.

Burr's been great for the Canucks. I don't think the team owes him a permanent spot on the roster until he retires (especially at 4.5M), but the argument can be made that they owe him the chance to bounce back this season, especially when there's some good list management reasons to keep him around for now anyway.

Archived