The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With Germany Winning the World Cup

JesseBlue

I'll make it short and sweet..

Germany had a team that does not have what you would necessarily call an elite player (probably Klose)...

They stuck to a game plan and won it all...the game plan is not all defense and is also pretty exciting to watch...

If the all the canuck players really buy in into the WD system i'm sure that we will be fine...i do want to watch an exciting brand of hockey, win or lose (of course more on the winning side)...its nice to have that one impact player but since this is a team sport, the players should play as a team, have fun, and good thing will happen

That is all...

This is exactly the downfall of the World Cup: people who know nothing of the sport watch a couple games, look at a few stats (I assume Klose being the all time leader in WC goals is why you said he is the closest they have to elite), and combine that with the headlines from western media to form a fallacy filled opinion of the game.

Germany came in ranked second, only behind the defending champions (spain), because they are ridiculously stacked at every position, not to mention they have the best goalie in the world to cover up their rare breakdowns. Whereas Argentina showed nothing in that game beyond Lavezzi and Messi, neither of whom looked like elite talents in the final.

See you in 2018

Hummels, Neuer, Lahm, Ozil, Schweinsteiger, Muller and Gotze aren't exactly scrubs or unknowns.

^^^^^^^

You really don't follow soccer a whole ton do you? Most of the Germans are big names out in Europe, may not be names to the average joe out in Canada/USA but if you watch alot of soccer you will recognize these guys on the field and know the impact they have on their clubs.

The best team in the world will look very ordinary if every member of the team isn't working to the same systems and standards and if everyone isn't on the same page

With Torts he was clearly on a different page than everyone else and no one trusted him to implement a gameplan that worked for that set of players.

We see it all the time where teams that don't really have a "star" on paper turn out to exceed everyone's expectations on the ice simply because they all buy in.

That can only take a team so far. A degree of skill is necessary to succeed and players have to step up and play to potential. But I think that given how turbulent last season was for us, it would be a major accomplishment if WD can find a system that compliments this set of player. If he can get them to buy in to what he's preaching and if everyone gets their confidence back (the confidence that Torts shattered) I think we can put up respectful numbers again.

What makes their win even more impressive is that they were missing guys for various reasons: Reus, the Benders, Schmelzer, Volland, Goretzka, Gundogan and Badstuber. Heck even Mario Gomez didn't get a sniff due to poor fitness.

They have the deepest team by far and playing them will not get easier any time soon.

For those who don't know a lot about Football, to put it into hockey terms... German = LA. No Sydney Crosby but a good mix of stars with crazy depth (Germany's subs could start for a lot of other teams). Argentina is like Washington ... Sadly just like Ovi, messi can't do it all himself. :(

^^^^^^^

You really don't follow soccer a whole ton do you? Most of the Germans are big names out in Europe, may not be names to the average joe out in Canada/USA but if you watch alot of soccer you will recognize these guys on the field and know the impact they have on their clubs.

I think u misread his/her post..

^^^^^^^

errr... maybe you quote the wrong person?@@

Archived