The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Unconditional Waivers] Isles to buyout Kirill Kabanov

elvis15

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva

Kirill Kabanov is on waivers. He will be bought out by the Islanders. #tvasports

Dominik & LHHFriends ‏@LHHockey

#Isles took low-risk chance on Kirill Kabanov, and now the strange trip is waiving to an end. http://sbnation.com/e/5666072

Buyout: Kirill Kabanov on waivers as New York Islanders cut ties

Well, that was a strange trip.

Kirill Kabanov has been placed on unconditional waivers by the New York Islanders, the first step on the way to a buyout by the club.

Kabanov is entering the third year of a three-year Entry Level Contract (technically it was signed four years ago, but the first year was a "slide" since he returned to juniors) that paid $900,000 salary at the NHL and $67,500 at the AHL level, according to CapGeek.

However, he never made an NHL debut to earn that bigger salary, and based on the last year's events, it was never close.

After an early season skate injury to his wrist disrupted 2012-13, the organization was disappointed with how he returned after rehab, ultimately appearing in just 32 AHL games.

Then 2013-14 began no better, with reports of missed meetings getting him a demotion to the ECHL Stockton Thunder, and Kabanov appearing in only 16 AHL games and 9 ECHL games before being loaned to Modo of Sweden, where he appeared in 12 games.

Every time it seemed like there was hope for him putting it together, the tea leaves of his usage and assignment by the organization indicated it was falling apart.

A third-round pick with proverbial "first-round talent" -- he had fallen down the draft projections after reports of various behavioral incidents -- the Islanders took a no-brainer chance on his mercurial talent back in 2010.

He quickly became one of those almost mythical hopes for fans -- displaying skill in prospect scrimmages, showing up for a fan roller hockey pickup, continuing his collection of tattoos. A "late show" at his first camp hinted at what became a theme rather than an anomaly. The Isles signed him to an ELC a year before they had to -- perhaps a show of faith, perhaps more -- but his game and arguably his discipline or commitment never caught up to the organization's expectations. Rumors of what else might affect his life populate Internet theater.

In a sense, the book closes -- at least the Islanders' book -- on Kabanov like so many other frustrating talents in hockey history: The skill was there to entice, but the production and other peripheral attributes never kept pace.

One of the Isles left wing prospects - a hole they have yet to fill outside of moving centers like Bailey there. I'd assume this is mutual to allow Kabanov to go back to Europe and play so I'm not sure anyone would pick him up.

It's always shocking to see a guy as toolsy and talented as Kabanov go down this kind of road. But I suppose he's been headed in this direction for several years now (pretty much since the 2010 draft and the risks suggested when a guy falls that far in the order).

I'm sure some team somewhere will take him on as a reclamation project.

EDIT: As for the Canucks, we'll probably have around 5 contract slots available after UFA/RFA signings and ELC slides, so we could take a flyer on Kabanov.

I'd trust Benning's opinion on him so I'd be quite fine if it happened (as it would suggest Benning sees value in him).

Certainly Kabanov brings more potential upside than nearly every skilled player that people were crying about us passing on during the middle to late rounds of the 2014 Draft. ;)

And his development has been so marked by injuries (some quite severe) that it's extremely difficult to gauge his potential. I think that all the natural ability remains and I've always liked the kid's personality. I've read stuff out of New York that suggests he's in a pretty good place mentally and still could have the drive necessary to work his way back. If he's 100% healthy (or could get there without any lasting after effects from his injuries), I'd be open to giving him a shot.

His recent loan to Modo (SHL) seems to have gone fairly well (6 goals in 12 games). I'd be interested to hear what Swedish fans thought of his play in 2014?

Its not a 'free' prospect. Its a guy who thinks hockey is just for fun and its all a big joke. No dedication to winning, which is the exact type of atmosphere that Benning is trying to build around the younger guys. No thanks.

No dedication to winning is the atmosphere JB is trying to build?

:P

Archived