The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL.com Article] Horvat, Gaunce trim down with hopes to make Canucks roster

Canucks' Horvat trims down, aims for roster spot

Thursday, 07.17.2014 / 3:00 AM / NHL Insider

By Kevin Woodley - NHL.com Correspondent

VANCOUVER -- Bo Horvat is trying to lighten up.

Not in a "Why so serious?" kind of way, mind you. The Vancouver Canucks' top prospect is trying to lose weight with the hope it will make him faster and ease the transition from junior hockey to the NHL as a 19-year-old center this season.

Horvat, who was selected by the Canucks with the ninth pick of the 2013 NHL Draft, a pick acquired from the New Jersey Devils in a trade for goaltender Cory Schneider, has already dropped 6-8 pounds in less than three weeks.

"I have to get lighter," said Horvat, who was listed at 6-foot and 206 pounds for Canucks development camp. "It's not like I am overweight or anything; it's just trying to get quick, get leaner and a little bit lighter and try to work on my speed and my agility."

Unlike a lot of 18-year-olds, Horvat did not have a problem dealing with the strength of NHL competition during his first training camp last season. But the pace was another story.

"I know I am big enough and I think I am strong enough to be up here," he said. "It's just [trying to] get that body fat down and get a little leaner so I can be faster. Getting my speed up in those first three strides will help."

Speed isn't the only thing standing between Horvat, who projects as more of a two-way shut-down center, and a spot on the revamped Canucks roster. Vancouver traded Selke Trophy-winning center Ryan Kesler to the Anaheim Ducks during the 2014 draft and received Nick Bonino in the package coming back to fill their second-line spot. Vancouver also traded a second-round pick to the Los Angeles Kings for young center Linden Vey. They join a depth chart of centers that includes Henrik Sedin, Brad Richardson and Shawn Matthias. Several of them can play on the wing, and all are ahead of Horvat, at least for now.

"He's going to have to earn a spot and then we'll have to make some tough decisions," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said. "He's going to be a very important guy for us and we want to make sure we're developing him properly."

It's a process complicated for now by Horvat's age. Because he won't turn 20 until April 5, 2015, Horvat would have to play a fourth season with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League if he doesn't earn an NHL job this fall.

Horvat, who had 30 goals and 74 points in 54 games last season, has won two OHL championships, played in the Memorial Cup three times, and represented Canada at the 2012 IIHF World Under-18 Championships and the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship. Looking for positives if he returns to junior, Horvat talked about increasing his leadership role with the Knights after being an alternate captain last season.

Benning said of a return to the OHL, "It's not the end of the world." It probably won't help Horvat prepare for the NHL pace, however.

"He plays so much in London, he's out there every second or third shift and all situations, so players pace themselves," Canucks director of player development Stan Smyl said. "But when you get to the NHL it's different. Bo sees all those things, and the biggest thing we see is his pace has to pick up to keep up. He has to be quicker on the ice and quicker with his decisions, but that will come in camp."

Horvat's chance to make an impression will be limited before the Canucks have to make a decision on his status for the season. Brendan Gaunce is looking forward to a more extended look as he enters his first professional season. Selected by the Canucks with the 26th pick in the 2012 draft, Gaunce also is trying to lean out and improve his pace, but unlike Horvat he's already turned 20 and can start the season in the American Hockey League if he doesn't make the NHL roster.

Also projected as more of a two-way depth center, Gaunce had 31 goals and 72 points in 65 OHL games last season with the Belleville Bulls and Erie Otters. He finished his junior career with 103 goals and 236 points in 258 games.

Gaunce may be behind Horvat on most lists of Canucks prospects, but being an option throughout the upcoming season instead of just the beginning may give him a better chance of spending time in Vancouver. He is working hard to take advantage of it.

"My goal is the NHL [this] year and it has been since the junior season ended, so that's my mindset when I go to the gym every day, that's my mindset when I go to snack on food … I shouldn't be and I stop," said Gaunce, who was listed at 6-2, 205 for development camp. "I have done a lot more cardio this summer and I am leaner and on the ice I feel a bit quicker."

So does Horvat, and as Smyl pointed out each player has another two months before training camp to keep thinning out and improving their speed. Horvat will have less time to prove it has paid off once camp starts in September, but Smyl said he believes his time is now.

"Whenever you get those minutes you are always concerned with the pace of junior hockey and does it help him make our team in a year; I don't think so," Smyl said. "I think the best opportunity is now."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726018&navid=DL|NHL|home

Is this a nicely written article, or have I just become to accustomed to the trash articles written by the local journalists?

Anyways it's nice to see that they seem to be developing nicely and almost seem ready for the NHL. It's to bad though that Horvat can't go to the AHL if he doesn't make the team. He really doesn't have much more to prove in junior and it would have been great if he could have spent the year in Utica and then made the team next year.

Good stuff! I think it was noticeable that Gaunce was quicker in the highlights from the scrimmage. I can see him being ready for an NHL job this year because of his work ethic off the ice.

If he is able to play at 205-210 with a lower BFI then he could make the jump this year.

Next summer is going to be very exciting to see our roster. Gaunce would already have played 1 pro season, Horvat finishing junior, Shinkaruk finishing his 1st pro season, Jensen playing his 2nd pro season, Cassels finishing junior. We'll need to create some holes for our young guys to step into. We'll still have Sedins, Vrbata, Bonino, Kassian, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Vey (RFA) under contract. Our top 9 will still be set the same as this year, our prospects might still not be ready by then but I think Jensen should atleast be getting some in and out time.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Vey - Hansen

Even the year after only Vrbata leaves the top 9, so we have quite a logjam to make room for 6 good prospects.

Next summer is going to be very exciting to see our roster. Gaunce would already have played 1 pro season, Horvat finishing junior, Shinkaruk finishing his 1st pro season, Jensen playing his 2nd pro season, Cassels finishing junior. We'll need to create some holes for our young guys to step into. We'll still have Sedins, Vrbata, Bonino, Kassian, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Vey (RFA) under contract. Our top 9 will still be set the same as this year, our prospects might still not be ready by then but I think Jensen should atleast be getting some in and out time.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Vey - Hansen

Even the year after only Vrbata leaves the top 9, so we have quite a logjam to make room for 6 good prospects.

hansen should get traded and then move vey to the wing and put horvat as the centre

I hope that they can give Horvat at least a 9-game trial to see if he's able to keep up in the NHL. If at least borderline, better to keep him around to train and practice against men, rather than just dominating against boys in junior.

Him starting on the wing or on the 4th line wouldn't be a bad idea either. Kesler started out on the 4th line and as a winger too and he turned out fine. Same with Gaunce too.

If either (or both) Horvat and Gaunce makes it to the NHL, pair them up with someone like Richardson or Burrows, both vets who can school them defensively and back them up should things get dicey.

hansen should get traded and then move vey to the wing and put horvat as the centre

This year or next year? I'd give Horvat 25% of this season or so to prove he is a NHL ready centre and keep Hansen as insurance because if Horvat screws up we can move up Hansen and Vey to centre.

I agree with the statement that another year in junior won't help him learn the pace of the game. If he's not ready to go this season we really got raped in that deal. I mean we did anyways, but it's going to really start looking bleak when you factor in how many kids picked after Bo are going to play in the NHL this season.

I agree with the statement that another year in junior won't help him learn the pace of the game. If he's not ready to go this season we really got raped in that deal. I mean we did anyways, but it's going to really start looking bleak when you factor in how many kids picked after Bo are going to play in the NHL this season.

You have obviously never been sexually assaulted if you can use that term in such a cretinous manner .. you never been to prison, laddie?

I think Gaunce could use at least a couple seasons in the AHL so that his ceiling doesn't stay as a third line checker.

Working on his intensity and consistency at the next level should be good for him.

Horvat I think is likely teetering on the fence right now. I don't think management wants to send him back to junior, but he still has to earn his spot. Either way I think he'll be highly motivated come training camp.

Archived