The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The surprise player at camp

Lui's Knob

I really hope it's this guy:

http://instagram.com/p/p6-0imB19G/#

And looking at that pic (tweeted when he signed the papers on his Canucks contract this summer), I think people who are expecting a 6'3", 185-190 lbs Sanguinetti (as he's usually listed) will be surprised by how much bigger and stronger he is. Even accounting for angles and tricks of the lens, there's no way that guy's under 200 lbs (since he is definitely 6'3").

I think he's going to turn heads at camp/preseason.

Sanguinetti has always had the tools to be a dynamic, offensive, puckmoving defenceman who can drive the offense and put-up points. He's just had tough breaks with injuries and playing behind similar players on the depth chart. But if he comes in healthy and hungry (and stronger than ever), I think he's a player that could really make some noise this year.

I'm hoping Bobby Sangs can be that PMD/PPQB that this team's been missing (and for far too long). With luck, he might even become an effective partner for Edler.

Totes forgot about this guy. You think he can beat out Corrado, and one of Stanton/Weber/Sbisa for a spot?

He's intriguing but a 15 game stint in the KHL for the entirety of last year is worrisome.

Shinkaruk.

Kid always manages to prove the doubters wrong once he steps on the ice. Admit it.

As I have said before, if Will was the determining factor for him to make it, he'd be a shoe in. Unfortunately the grind of an NHL season is a whole other animal. He's going to benefit immensely with Jensen as the top line in Utica.

I'm most excited about Gaunce by far. He's not the most flashy, but he's certainly the most physically ready to make the jump. He oozes hockey IQ and even Luongo raved about his shot last year. If he can up his intensity in pre season he will be the guy to make the club. He's by far the most NHL ready IMO, and it's just up to him to prove it.

I think Sanguinetti will surprise as well, IF he can stay healthy, that is a big if.

I think the best option for both Gaunce and Shinkaruk is to play the year in Utica, no point in rushing prospects. Rather see them get used to being professionals and have a year or two in the AHL under their belt.

Horvat will go back to London, which is unfortunate but he is just not ready yet.

I really wish Horvat was old enough to play in the AHL next year but I will for sure be following Utica a lot more closer with the prospects that are there.

Shinkaruk - O'Reilly - Jensen

Fox - Gaunce - Grenier

Archibald - Pelletier - DeFazio

not a bad top 9 there at all.

And looking at that pic (tweeted when he signed the papers on his Canucks contract this summer), I think people who are expecting a 6'3", 185-190 lbs Sanguinetti (as he's usually listed) will be surprised by how much bigger and stronger he is. Even accounting for angles and tricks of the lens, there's no way that guy's under 200 lbs (since he is definitely 6'3").

Sanguinetti has always had the tools to be a dynamic, offensive, puckmoving defenceman who can drive the offense and put-up points. He's just had tough breaks with injuries and playing behind similar players on the depth chart. But if he comes in healthy and hungry (and stronger than ever), I think he's a player that could really make some noise this year.

I'm hoping Bobby Sangs can be that PMD/PPQB that this team's been missing (and for far too long). With luck, he might even become an effective partner for Edler.

Wouldn't that be a great story. Coming back from a series of injuries. Must be mentally tough.

Guance has me very interested. Big kid who thinks the game. I do not expect him to play the season but a look before Utica would be great for him.

Does seem like a perfect situation for Sanguinetti. Our D-lacks both right shots and PMDs. Really needs to beat out Weber and Corrado for a spot on the big club which might not be all that tough especially given the size advantage over Weber.

What I would like to see is Vey and Gaunce really impress and Gaunce slot into the third line and Vey step up onto second line RW with Bonino and Kassian (?). Good playmaker with those two would be a great benefit. Gaunce could then play with a couple good vets like Burrows, Higgins, Hansen to ease transition. That feels better balanced to me and would be a great surprise at camp. Fourth line mix of Hansen, Richardson, Matthias and Dorsett (and of course the boxing Hobo).

Agreed about Gaunce: this guy's skating was the main thing holding him back and it's way better than this time last year. All the other tools are there to challenge for the 3C role. I hope Benning has a deal on the back burner to move out a more established forward.

Sanguinetti has a real shot at the third pairing, along side Sbisa. He has to beat out Weber and Corrado and could well do so. I see Stanton as the 7th D, and expect 2 of the following 3 righties, Sanguinetti, Weber and Corrado, to be in Uttica. From an asset management perspective, Corrado is the most likely to go down because he doesn't need to go through waivers yet. So unless he clearly wins the bottom pairing job, it's between Sanguinetti and Weber to stay up. Too close to call: I like all 3 of these players and it really will come down to what they do in camp. But Sanguinetti has a significant size advantage over the other two, which will make a difference if he uses it. Definitely some up side with this guy and if he makes the big club, he could play his way up the depth chart and get some minutes with Edler, which a lot of us want to see.

Luca Sbisa

A lot of people have written him off as a depth defenseman with limited upside, despite the fact that he's younger than Tanev and Stanton. He has had a rough go the last couple of years, with injuries and not gelling with Boudreau. I think the excitement of a new opportunity back under Desjardins will have him pumped up and ready to rock at camp.

Luca Sbisa

A lot of people have written him off as a depth defenseman with limited upside, despite the fact that he's younger than Tanev and Stanton. He has had a rough go the last couple of years, with injuries and not gelling with Boudreau. I think the excitement of a new opportunity back under Desjardins will have him pumped up and ready to rock at camp.

I like him too. At a minimum he brings some of the crease-clearing we've been missing, but there's some skill and skating there too. Still has top 4 potential and just needs to get settled into a system that works for him.

Totes forgot about this guy. You think he can beat out Corrado, and one of Stanton/Weber/Sbisa for a spot?

He's intriguing but a 15 game stint in the KHL for the entirety of last year is worrisome.

I keep forgetting as well, with out bigger name acquisitions through the draft and free agency. He wouldn't be competing with Sbisa (left hander, plays the left side generally) but Weber is his most likely competition I think. Corrado may push as well but Weber and Sanguinetti play a more similar game and might work well beside Edler. Sanguinetti has a better offensive game, but Weber has proven more at the NHL level so we'll see what happens at camp.

Although I couldn't make the Canucks camp, being in Alberta, my good friend who lives in Van and is a diehard Nucks fan, tells me Gaunce looks really solid. I thinks he's on this forum somewhere actually, I believe he has Kirk McClean in his username or avatar.

Dear Gordie I hope so. If I were a religious man I'd be praying for it.

That's THE missing piece on the Canucks right now IMO. We need RH'd PMD to play with Edler like nobody's business. If Sanguinetti can turn it around and become a legit #4 guy :towel:

My 3 for camp:

Gaunce - As everyone else says, he just looks so much better than last year and looks ready to play in the bigs. I dont think a year in Utica with call-ups is a bad idea however.

Jensen - I think getting a prolonged taste of top 6 time last season will have him hungry and ready to prove he is both ready and belongs on the Canucks roster full time.

Sanguinetti - I like the signing being low risk/high reward and look forward to him being similar to what Santorelli was for us last season.

Guest Dasein

Roster Player: The Sedins.

They need to get back to being at least 70+pt players or else we are selling assets to go into tank mode by trade deadline. I hope they have it in themselves to find something new to add to their game offensively and really work on shooting the goddamn puck this summer. We're going to need these guys to step it up.

Prospect: Gaunce.

Overshadowed by Horvat but I really think he's the most NHL-ready of the recent draft picks that have yet to play an NHL game (so excluding Jensen).

Archived