The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The surprise player at camp

Lui's Knob

Seriously just stoked about Main Camp. I've been watching this team for 41 years and I don't really remember a time we had so many intriguing prospects. If some of the prospects push for positions we have a great opportunity to package a few vets up to try and get another top 6 winger.

If I recall right Gaunce was an early cut from last years camp( maybe the first ) and Shikaruk the last ( despite his injury )

So this year I'm expecting Gaunce to be out to prove some thing. Shinkaruk was some thing great last year but I'm thinking not playing a game for a year hasn't helped his cause.

I can't believe Horvat turn up over weight for the Prospects camp and telling people he has to loose 10lbs....it wouldn't impress me if I was management

Fox, hard to tell with over age players....man versus boys... see Mallet ...same thing

Does seem like a perfect situation for Sanguinetti. Our D-lacks both right shots and PMDs. Really needs to beat out Weber and Corrado for a spot on the big club which might not be all that tough especially given the size advantage over Weber.

What I would like to see is Vey and Gaunce really impress and Gaunce slot into the third line and Vey step up onto second line RW with Bonino and Kassian (?). Good playmaker with those two would be a great benefit. Gaunce could then play with a couple good vets like Burrows, Higgins, Hansen to ease transition. That feels better balanced to me and would be a great surprise at camp. Fourth line mix of Hansen, Richardson, Matthias and Dorsett (and of course the boxing Hobo).

Vey is on a two way, minimum contract. He is not a second liner.

If I recall right Gaunce was an early cut from last years camp( maybe the first ) and Shikaruk the last ( despite his injury )

So this year I'm expecting Gaunce to be out to prove some thing. Shinkaruk was some thing great last year but I'm thinking not playing a game for a year hasn't helped his cause.

I can't believe Horvat turn up over weight for the Prospects camp and telling people he has to loose 10lbs....it wouldn't impress me if I was management

Fox, hard to tell with over age players....man versus boys... see Mallet ...same thing

I think horvat was trying to gain weight then cut down he didn't show up

Overweight cause he's lazy..... Gaunce is looking good I guess gm wasn't as bad as the kids on here make him out to be ... All his picks are looking like they will be nhl players.

Seriously just stoked about Main Camp. I've been watching this team for 41 years and I don't really remember a time we had so many intriguing prospects. If some of the prospects push for positions we have a great opportunity to package a few vets up to try and get another top 6 winger.

Same. Not quite as long but almost...

I'm in Penticton and the Young Stars tourney is going to be a lot of fun this year.

It's almost making me forget it's summer, and that's saying something when you live out here.

Dane Fox all the way. I'm predicting he actually makes the NHL this year. Maybe not out of camp, but soon thereafter.

Agreed. His goals in the 4-on-4 scrimmage were very nice. I'd like to see Him and Gaunce turn some heads at camp. They seem to be an after thought by a majority of people...even I sometimes fortget to include Fox in our depth chart. They both seem to be great guys in the locker room too, great personalities

Santorelli is also on a 2 way minimum contract last year, doesn't stop him from playing on our Top 6. Salary doesn't always reflect a player's worth, as long as they can play the role they are assigned decently, then I don't care if they are on a 2 way contract.

So is Brandon Saad.

What does his contract have to do with anything? Sure, he has to prove he's an NHL-er first, and earn his spot...but if he turns out to be one of our better players and/or gets chemistry with other 2nd liners, then he'll be on the 2nd line.

I think horvat was trying to gain weight then cut down he didn't show up

Overweight cause he's lazy..... Gaunce is looking good I guess gm wasn't as bad as the kids on here make him out to be ... All his picks are looking like they will be nhl players.

Fred's just looking for a reason to bitch about Horvat, even if he has to invent one. It's what he does

I'm pretty sure Vey and Gaunce are supposed to be there.

If Mark Messier was at camp, now that would be a surprise!

I imagine the OP referred to "surprise player" as a "player at camp that will surprise you," not "holy crap, I can't believe this guy came to camp! What a surprise!"

Anyway, Fox would have my vote, but it might not be much of a surprise if he stands out.

So I'll say McCann.

Fox is our best player right now. It would be a shame if we stuck him down in the minors and waste half his season lighting up ahl goalies.

He can catch a pass and find holes in the goalie. I like that the kid actually thinks before he shoots, something that no canucks has done since nazzy. The only other guy with enough basic fundamentals to catch a pass consistently was santo and we let him walk for free. Let's forget about the "intangibles" and get guys that have basic hockey skills. Hell, just get people that can put the puck on net and not turn the puck over every 3rd pass.

This camp should be one of the best ever. So many solid players....too bad Virtanen is out.

Top 3 for me:

1. Nicklas Jensen

Had a great camp as a 18yr old really stood out. He's at the prime age and physical maturity to make the jump. With his impact last year and a full off-season to train without shoulder issues I feel he's going to force a player out of the top 6.

2. Hunter Shinkaruk

He's gonna be almost 20 at camp turning pro and oozes offensive talent. He is gonna be a Parise-Schwartz type player for us. I feel like people are writing him a ticket to Utica a little too easily due to the hip and he probably will start there. He will leave camp having JB feeling like he can start making room soon.

3. Jacob Markstrom

A little off the board here but if he's still here for camp I really feel he's gonna start to show why he was a couple years ago considered the best prospect outside the NHL. Florida was a disaster... no development, no fellow Swedes, knee surgery, thrown into a starting role without mentorship and a terrible team and defense. If we can get him to Utica and play 60 games he can still be a huge asset going forward.

Not sold on Vey like most people he's only had one decent year and that was his last year of Jr. His AHL Stats ere so-so I doubt he sticks with the big club. Gaunce -Fox-Horvat- Shinkaruk- all have a higher ceiling and skill.Not sure where everyone gets their hype about Vey from but its not from Facts.

Not sold on Vey like most people he's only had one decent year and that was his last year of Jr. His AHL Stats ere so-so I doubt he sticks with the big club. Gaunce -Fox-Horvat- Shinkaruk- all have a higher ceiling and skill.Not sure where everyone gets their hype about Vey from but its not from Facts.

They probably got it from people who have actually seen him play. The fact is that a point a game in the AHL in the last couple years while taking a lot of defensive zone faceoffs and killing penalties is pretty good for a 4th rounder.

Archived