The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The surprise player at camp

Lui's Knob

Not sold on Vey like most people he's only had one decent year and that was his last year of Jr. His AHL Stats ere so-so I doubt he sticks with the big club. Gaunce -Fox-Horvat- Shinkaruk- all have a higher ceiling and skill.Not sure where everyone gets their hype about Vey from but its not from Facts.

umm his stats were not so so in the ahl he was there top scorer on the highests scoring line in the ahl. you are the one whos facts are wrong

Manchester AHL 43 14 34 48 8 6 17 1 0 4 20 94 14.89 - 2012-13 Manchester AHL 74 22 45 67 18 2 14 2 3 5 32 124 17.74 - 2011-12 Manchester AHL 74 19 24 43 5 1 7 1 0 4 16 118 16.10 - 2010-11 Medicine Hat WHL 69 46 70 116 37 13 - 5 - - 36 - - - 2009-10 Medicine Hat WHL 72 24 51 75 5 8 - 3 - - 34 - - - 2008-09 Medicine Hat

those look like pretty solid numbers to me. keeping in mind for whatever reason u dont see a lot of guys average a point a game in the minors

Since were talking surprises here my top 3 go like this

Jake Virtanen. this guy seems to be a freak when it comes to healing. if by some chance hes ready to go for camp

could be intriguing. if guys like nylander bennet kaspernan ehlers are said to be right there as far as

having a shot then y not jake? Hes got the size the shot so i would say hes more nhl ready then

those guys. hes also bigger and hasnt missed a full year like shink.

Brendan Gaunce. I have loved this guy ever since nhl 2013 when he was given almost a perfect score :wub:

Seriously tho the guy just screams consumite pro and leader. great shot sick hockey iq

and great size with a very good 2 way game, whos point totals would be way higher if

wasnt his teams shut down guy. i really think we got something special with this kid.

Dane Fox Heres the guy that really excites me. yes he was an over ager who cares. some people are

late bloomers he is big great hands and u can tell relishes being in the spotlight.

and he seems to just always be in the right spot at the right time. Thanks mg

My honourable mention goes too.... drum roll please

Jacob markstrom luv this guy and think he gets a bum wrap here got derailed in florida but think this guy

has all the tools to be an elite goalie. There a reason he was the highest rated goalie prospect

2 years ago. I really hop we give him the backup role this year. I think he has so much upside

and is still young. if we lose him we will be kicking oursaelves in the future.

:bigblush:

those look like pretty solid numbers to me. keeping in mind for whatever reason u dont see a lot of guys average a point a game in the minors

If a player is scoring more than a point a game in the AHL, they tend to get a shot in the NHL right away.

I don't think Linden Vey will be a superstar, but I think he could be a solid 20 to 30-goal scorer, if given the chance.

If a player is scoring more than a point a game in the AHL, they tend to get a shot in the NHL right away.

I don't think Linden Vey will be a superstar, but I think he could be a solid 20 to 30-goal scorer, if given the chance.

makes sense i also think it has to do with most players downt there are your journeymen 3rd 4th line type of players or young rookies just getting there feet wet. i agree that vey could be a 20 goal guy but i think he will get 40-50 assists if he plays with legit top 6 guys

BOBBY D: Of course that is the calibre of player they'll be facing in the future. The point is, please don't spout off stats against lesser players as some indication of success against CURRENT NHL'ers...vast difference. Again, as I stated, I hope one or two of our prospects has a break-through, but just to be clear our core NEEDS to be built upon vets. Unless we've picked 1st or 2nd and we're secretly holding onto a future superstar, these players (our prospects), right here and right now are NOT skilled enough to carry this team in a TOP 6F / TOP 4D role. They could possibly figure into our depth and maybe by years end work their way up (my money is on Jensen with the twins)...but other than that let's just settle in and see if JB comes up with a 2C...otherwise it's Bonino's to lose to a prospect.

Please don't get me wrong, I believe we have the deepest talent pool that we've seen in years, but they're not quite ready to carry an NHL team, not our team anyways. Look at Monahan...an average prospect at best. They've declared him the saviour of Calgary...WHY? Because Calgary sucks, and they got worse this off-season. Monahan's gonna get all the ice-time he can handle. We don't suck...and our prospects will have to EARN every minute of ice-time. I hope they do. I hope they each get a shot. But we're way too deep at the top end for any of them to displace one of our vets. Just my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong.

i wouldnt say monahan is average at best. the guy was taken 6th in a very deep draft and put up good numbers on a team without mucjh offensive help[

Just never who's gonna make the club after camp. JB did say some encouraging words in an interview in saying...... that if any of our prospects do well in camp that he'd find room on the team for them. Which is pretty cool to hear as a fan. But also lights a fire under our prospects and they will work that much harder during camp to make the team. I'm so looking forward to the season starting. But ya wouldn't mind seeing either Gaunce of Fox making the team.

BP79: Yes the case of Monahan may be a slight example of hyperbole...but the point remains the same. You know who else went #6? Virtainen. Do you see him cracking our lineup and getting the opportunity that Monahan did in Calgary? Not likely. Basically it's a case of the typical Draft scenario curse: the best prospects go to the weakest teams...but because they're a weak team these young prospects get more of a shot. The worst case scenario for these young prospects is that they get drafted by a good team...and they sit and wait for a chance...and sit and sit and sit. If Cory Schneider had been drafted by the Islanders, he would have been their starter for the last 7 years already. If COHO had have been drafted by Buffalo he would have got more ice-time and a higher line assignment than he got here. And the list goes on and on. If any of our recent picks were selected by EDM or CGY instead, they'd probably already have a full season under their belts by now. But they weren't. They were selected by us, and we just didn't have the room for them. So they sit and get stale. But again as I pointed out, I truly hope and pray that 1 or 2 of them come to main camp, kick butt and make the team. I hope one of them becomes the next Nathan MacKinnon. But the reality is, until certain players are gone (our vet core) it will be difficult to slot them into a position where they can shine...there's only 60 minutes in a game, and we need ALL 60 to win, not as an audition to se if a player can move up and displace our vets. We can't win without our vets, otherwise we become the next Oilers.

The Sedins killed the PP...what is your solution?

Canucks better start developing some of their prospects and play them at regular minutes or the future will not be as bright.

What age did the Sedins start getting regular minutes...when they were 20.

Don't underestimate the trade value of Burrows, Higgins and Hansen; one or two packaged with a prospect, goalie and pick can make room for Kane and some prospects...ABNuck, don't believe the hype...we are in rebuild mode.

The Sedins killed the PP...what is your solution?

Canucks better start developing some of their prospects and play them at regular minutes or the future will not be as bright.

What age did the Sedins start getting regular minutes...when they were 20.

Sedins need a PMD option/help on the PP. Is it any wonder that our once stellar PP went in the toilet the moment we didn't have either an Edler/Ehrhoff or Edler/Salo pairing?

The common thread there is a guy who can pass and/or rush the puck in to the O-zone/up to the forwards and once there create plays and give the twins a passing option from the blue line.

Edler is great at getting open/finding the "soft spot" for a big shot but he is NOT the guy to set up the play. He's also generally not the guy to skate the puck up the ice. He's exceedingly good at being the trailer there and getting open, not leading the play.

WE NEED A PMD!!

Fingers crossed that's Sanguinetti.... :unsure:

Jensen, Horvat, Horvat and Shinkaruk are going to be ready to compete this year. I'm hoping Fox comes to camp, lights it up and makes it almost impossible to not keep him on the team. We need goal scoring and this guy has the hands (so does Shinkaruk). They might not be able to stay with the club due to the numbers game but it will let Benning know that he can make the trades and be confident that he has players ready to step in for next year.

J.R...a PMD and quarterback on the PP will definitely help. This might make the Sedins better on the PP.

However, the Sedins waiting for the highlight real goal doesn't help the PP.

The PP is a very important part of the game to give a team an opportunity to score.

They need to simplify it and get shots on net, then crash the net.

Snipers like Fox can help, but they need a fair chance and regular minutes to prove themselves.

Take a page out of Colorado's book and play the young guns.

WD can make it happen with the young guys and steady Dmen.

74 games 43 points ,74 games 67 points dosnt come near a ppg his AHL stats , but just stats his goals per shot % inst bad though,

No but the 48 points in 43 games he scored most recently in 2013/2014 are. Just wait, Vey is gonna surprise alot of people. Benning knew what he was doing.

That would be awesome. However, he was undrafted and last year was he was 20 years old player with mostly 17 to 19-year olds. If he can make the team, it would be a huge coup for the Canucks.

Anyone who can score 64 goals in the ohl is a good player regardless off age.. NHL this year, prolly not. But who knows he could rip it in Utica

The top draft choices would be expected to play well, except for Virtanen who will likely miss camp, so there shouldn't be many surprises coming out of Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, McCann. I think Gaunce may be the most ready, but he'd likely end up in Utica. Horvat and McCann will be sent back to junior, but Shinkaruk may either go to Utica or back to Medicine Hat.

The real surprises should come from the players who aren't really expected to shine. At forward, I think Darren Archibald could beat out Tom Sestito for a left wing spot and I'm interested to see how Ronalds Kenins plays. On defence I expect Jordan Subban to make a big impression, Peter Andersson to show solid progress and Evan McEneny to show he's ready for Utica.

At the end of it all, I think only Gaunce or Archibald have a legitimate shot at spot duty. On the back end, it may be time for Peter Andersson to get a shot at bottom pairing spot duty.

In goal, I doubt there will be any surprises, unless Ericsson decisively outplays Lack.

Archived