The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts with Tom Sestito (the cdc user): Tom Sestito's future in Vancouver

Tom Sestito

Benning trading for Dorsett, has made Sestito redundant, as a 13th forward.

To those who say, Dorsett is a middleweight. The guy has fought players twice his size, most notably John Scott and Sestito himself.

I like Sestito because he likes being a Canuck and never complains about his role. The guy will swing with anybody and looks after his mates. Burke is starting to goon up Calgary and you can see the Canucks are in the crosshairs with the line brawl last year and the cheapshot on Daniel. Like it or not you need Sestito and I bet Willy the Stasche can make him a good 4th liner/13th guy.

Sestito's best hockey is still to come. Didn't like the opportunity Torts gave him last year. I expect

Desjardin to have a more balanced attack which should give him more TOI. If the 1st line is logging more than 20 minutes I will be disappointed in coaching.

I would honestly rather sestito on the roster over matthias..

sedin sedin vrbata
burrows bonino kassian
higgins vey hansen
sestito richardson dorsette

In comparison to the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th lines of other teams, the only line that is lacking here is the 2nd line.

I like Sestito and would try get him if I was an nhl gm. Alot of people tend to categorize players (power forward, sniper, goon etc.) and I think alot gets lost or unsaid by doing that. I think categorizing Sestito as a big guy who can drop the gloves and stick up for his teammates doesnt really describe him accurately and that he could be a real force out there with a few adjustments to his game.

In my opinion a true enforcer is a guy who instills fear and makes others nervous. He is capable of hurting other top enforcers and can drop or KO middleweights. Tom can survive against other top enforcers and is capble of hurting middleweights so he is a tier below the mcgrattons.

Sestito has some skill though and if he was to try incorporate more of a power forward style could be a real load to deal with. If he starting aggressively and fearlessly taking the puck hard to the net and crashing the crease then it would create alot of problems for opposing d men with his size and tenacity. He could literally bowl defencemen over into their own goalie, take a few extra swipes at the puck when the goalie has it covered and start some trouble, or be quick to drop the gloves and pummel opposing defencemen when they try to defend their own crease. Hes also got the hands to put the puck in the net as well as make a soft pass from in tight too on top of being that big bodied net crasher threat which is gonna lead to lots of opportunities should he start doing this. If he was to do this consistently he would be an absolute nightmare to play against and a guy you could play on your top lines or bottom 6.

Its rare to find a guy with size, aggressive character traits, fighting capability, and skill all in one. Tom has that and for probably a cheap price too. My worry is that he sells himself short and thinks hes an enforcer when in reality he could be a beast out there if he decided to be that "take the puck hard to the net" type of guy.

dorsett is a middleweight. he dose not replace sestito, he complements him

i thought he showed alot of improvement through last season, he still has some untapped potential

This.

Plus people need to keep in mind that Dorsett plays RW while Sestito plays LW. These aren't guys that will play their off-wings.

Sestito is a beauty and deserves his spot in the lineup.

Another thing is if sestito adopted that "take it hard to the hoop" mentality whenever he got the puck, he would be a great fit to put with your smaller skilled players. He can protect them while opening space and creating disturbance traffic in front of the net. Putting him on a line with shinkaruk and a playmaking centre might work really well for example

first game against Calgary start with:

Sestito - Lain - Dorsett

Sbisa Stanton - Bieksa

Welcome to the new year boys

Stanton is a much better fighter than Sbisa.

Would be a fairly close match up.

Sestito vs McGrattan

Lain vs Bollig

Dorsett vs Bouma

Bieksa vs Engelland

Stanton vs Smid

Archived