The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] So, lets talk about trading Lack

Hey there.

Seeing as this is my second ever Topic, I feel I should mention how long I've been a Canucks fan for, as it seem that is something everyone does. I've been a dedicated fan for 4 years, watching almost every game since the 2010 olympics, and I've watched them on and off for several years before that, mainly in the playoffs.

I know we are supposed to search for previous posts on this topic before starting a new one, but with a quick search, all I found was talk about trading Markstrom. So I believe that I am then able to make a new topic about trading Lack instead.

Am I Right? Is this how it works?

Anyway, on to the topic.

With our recent signing of Miller, a move I am quite happy with, I believe it is worth while looking to trade Lack. Before you get your hate-on, let me explain.

Eddie lack has proven he can be a great goaltender, but clearly looks like he needs some time as a 1A/backup goaltender, behind a veteran goaltender, who can show him more of the ropes, tips and tricks in the league.

The feeling I got from watching the Miller press conference, was that he was intending to play most of the games, and at this point, I feel that would really hurt both Lack's confidence and development.

After last year, Eddie has proven he is capable of handling lots of pressure, and besides the complete meltdown against the islanders (in case you forgot, we were up 3-0 going into the third period, and then lost 7-4) he can handle big work loads. And I am not saying that game was his fault, but everyone on the team shut down after the second intermission.

With his age, 26 right now, and Miller's contract expiring when he is 29, I believe Lack's best years could be these next 3-4 years. Beyond that, I could not really say, since I am just a fan with an opinion

With the good numbers Eddie has put up this last year as a temporary starter, I am sure a good few teams could be looking at him, and he could have some good value if a trade comes up.

On the other hand, the goaltender we got for the Luongo trade, Markstrom, was once touted as the best goaltender not playing in the NHL, and on occasion has been compared to Lunqvuist, (like, saying he could be as good as Lundqvuist), if his development and training goes well.

Markstrom played 3 and a half games for us IIRC, (one game Lack got pulled) and did not put up overwhelming stats, however, the team as a whole was a super underwhelming year, so I don't put much thought on that. And even with this not overwhelming stats, he still put up some half decent stats.

With Markstrom being only 24 at this time, he could really develop with some guidance from Miller, and from Roland (our goalie coach) and he will be 27 when the Miller contract expires, and could be in his prime at that point.

At this time, I believe we would get better returns for Eddie Lack than for Jacob Markstrom, and ultimately, if Markstrom does not pan out well, Miller has shown in previous years that he can play a large percentage of the games, and we have several goalies in our junior teams that all could be called upon to be mentored by Miller and Rollie, players like Canata, Demko (stoked for this one) and also, our very secretive signing from last years, Joacim Eriksson.

So, I am much more confident in saying goodbye to Eddie, than Markstrom, even though I think that for right now, Lack would be better to have on our team as a more competent backup, but with Miller, I am pretty sure Lack's development will be stunted, hugely.

Anway, I am just a fan with an opinion, and I know my opinion has no merrit on what managment does, but I would love to hear yours! (especially if you are Trevor Linden or Jim Benning. If you happen to be, then feel free to drop an email in my message box! Please!) Please though, no shaming of others opinions!

Also, since this is only my second topic ever, If I have broken any rules, please let me know in the replies. I am pretty sure there was not another topic that was as details as mine, or even really mentioned in detail trading Lack, so I'm pretty sure Im clear on that one!

Also, if anyone knows how to make some nice Gif Sigs let me know! I would love to have one! Thanks!

Anyway, hope to hear back from you!

A Canucks fan living in a Calgarian sea of red

Go Canucks Go

I'm not saying Miller won't turn out, but what if he doesn't? Then it's "oh great, hopefully Markstrom does okay".

Having both Miller and Lack gives us two goalies that have the ability to steal games. To me, that's worth more than any package we can get back for any trade involving lack, unless it's an absolutely can't miss hockey deal. Though Lack has a resume nowhere close to Miller's, he's been able to prove that he can steal games when he's not worn out.

I'm not saying Miller won't turn out, but what if he doesn't? Then it's "oh great, hopefully Markstrom does okay".

Having both Miller and Lack gives us two goalies that have the ability to steal games. To me, that's worth more than any package we can get back for any trade involving lack, unless it's an absolutely can't miss hockey deal. Though Lack has a resume nowhere close to Miller's, he's been able to prove that he can steal games when he's not worn out.

Hey Herbet!

Thanks for your input, and one thing I definitely forgot to mention is that it is indeed a gamble, but a gamble, myself, as a fan see as a very worthy gamble. I am confident that Miller will be great for us, but I am no fortune teller, so I can't say for sure.

However, I still believe it is the right move

You're going to want to look into adding tags to this, but Lack getting traded doesn't make much sense. He's more proven at this point yet won't garner any significant return and we can't just keep trading away our best goalies. Miller will be moved in year 2 or 3 of his deal before it expires and Lack will take over unless something significant has happened to dethrone him (Markstrom or Eriksson outplaying him, Demko being ready, Lack actually getting traded for some reason, etc.).

Added tags for you, remember that for next time :)

As for dealing Lack, I don't know if that's the best move. I mean, I get where you're coming from, but let's say Ryan Miller gets injured. Lack can step in and do the job and win games. Can Markstrom give us the same quality goaltending that Lack can? I don't know. And it appears Canuck management isn't sure either.

The transition point you bring up with Markstrom is interesting. But he's already 24, and it's likely that IF he is ever going to realize his potential and become a starting goaltender, it's likely he won't still be here at the end of those 3 years. Lack might be... we still have Eriksson in the system who could bridge the gap if need be, and I think the Canucks are hoping Thatcher Demko can evolve into a Schneider clone and perhaps this time they won't have the goaltending circus we did last time.

Added tags for you, remember that for next time :)

As for dealing Lack, I don't know if that's the best move. I mean, I get where you're coming from, but let's say Ryan Miller gets injured. Lack can step in and do the job and win games. Can Markstrom give us the same quality goaltending that Lack can? I don't know. And it appears Canuck management isn't sure either.

The transition point you bring up with Markstrom is interesting. But he's already 24, and it's likely that IF he is ever going to realize his potential and become a starting goaltender, it's likely he won't still be here at the end of those 3 years. Lack might be... we still have Eriksson in the system who could bridge the gap if need be, and I think the Canucks are hoping Thatcher Demko can evolve into a Schneider clone and perhaps this time they won't have the goaltending circus we did last time.

Tags?

Hey there.

Seeing as this is my second ever Topic, I feel I should mention how long I've been a Canucks fan for, as it seem that is something everyone does. I've been a dedicated fan for 4 years, watching almost every game since the 2010 olympics, and I've watched them on and off for several years before that, mainly in the playoffs.

I know we are supposed to search for previous posts on this topic before starting a new one, but with a quick search, all I found was talk about trading Markstrom. So I believe that I am then able to make a new topic about trading Lack instead.

Am I Right? Is this how it works?

Anyway, on to the topic.

With our recent signing of Miller, a move I am quite happy with, I believe it is worth while looking to trade Lack. Before you get your hate-on, let me explain.

Eddie lack has proven he can be a great goaltender, but clearly looks like he needs some time as a 1A/backup goaltender, behind a veteran goaltender, who can show him more of the ropes, tips and tricks in the league.

The feeling I got from watching the Miller press conference, was that he was intending to play most of the games, and at this point, I feel that would really hurt both Lack's confidence and development.

After last year, Eddie has proven he is capable of handling lots of pressure, and besides the complete meltdown against the islanders (in case you forgot, we were up 3-0 going into the third period, and then lost 7-4) he can handle big work loads. And I am not saying that game was his fault, but everyone on the team shut down after the second intermission.

With his age, 26 right now, and Miller's contract expiring when he is 29, I believe Lack's best years could be these next 3-4 years. Beyond that, I could not really say, since I am just a fan with an opinion

With the good numbers Eddie has put up this last year as a temporary starter, I am sure a good few teams could be looking at him, and he could have some good value if a trade comes up.

On the other hand, the goaltender we got for the Luongo trade, Markstrom, was once touted as the best goaltender not playing in the NHL, and on occasion has been compared to Lunqvuist, (like, saying he could be as good as Lundqvuist), if his development and training goes well.

Markstrom played 3 and a half games for us IIRC, (one game Lack got pulled) and did not put up overwhelming stats, however, the team as a whole was a super underwhelming year, so I don't put much thought on that. And even with this not overwhelming stats, he still put up some half decent stats.

With Markstrom being only 24 at this time, he could really develop with some guidance from Miller, and from Roland (our goalie coach) and he will be 27 when the Miller contract expires, and could be in his prime at that point.

At this time, I believe we would get better returns for Eddie Lack than for Jacob Markstrom, and ultimately, if Markstrom does not pan out well, Miller has shown in previous years that he can play a large percentage of the games, and we have several goalies in our junior teams that all could be called upon to be mentored by Miller and Rollie, players like Canata, Demko (stoked for this one) and also, our very secretive signing from last years, Joacim Eriksson.

So, I am much more confident in saying goodbye to Eddie, than Markstrom, even though I think that for right now, Lack would be better to have on our team as a more competent backup, but with Miller, I am pretty sure Lack's development will be stunted, hugely.

Anway, I am just a fan with an opinion, and I know my opinion has no merrit on what managment does, but I would love to hear yours! (especially if you are Trevor Linden or Jim Benning. If you happen to be, then feel free to drop an email in my message box! Please!) Please though, no shaming of others opinions!

Also, since this is only my second topic ever, If I have broken any rules, please let me know in the replies. I am pretty sure there was not another topic that was as details as mine, or even really mentioned in detail trading Lack, so I'm pretty sure Im clear on that one!

Also, if anyone knows how to make some nice Gif Sigs let me know! I would love to have one! Thanks!

Anyway, hope to hear back from you!

A Canucks fan living in a Calgarian sea of red

Go Canucks Go

WPG

Hansen

Lack

2nd '15

VAN

Kane

WPG

Hansen

Lack

2nd '15

VAN

Kane

Eddie Lack wont fetch much in return yet so we would be basically giving him away. I say we hold onto him.

The truth lies somewhere in between these two posts: if we can get a deal like Me_ proposes, Lack is gone, otherwise he stays. But Benning will not just be listening to offers- he's got to be making some too.

Benning said he wants the goaltending situation to be like Boston when the had Thomas/Rask fighting for the job, competition for position is what he wants for all the positions.

Isn't that what we crucified Gillis for with the Lu/Schnieds and Lu/Lack situations?

1A/1B is a tough sell in this town and I don't believe Miller came to share the duties.

Trading Lack to me is asking for trouble. There is no guarantee that Miller will find his top form again. On top of this, if Miller is injured say 1/3 of the way into the season and is out for a significant stretch, do you really want Markstrom as our starter?

Different scenario. What if Lack plays lights out to start training camp and in the season. What if by 1/2 way into the season Lack is clearly outplaying Miller? We can at least trade Miller at the deadline or in the next offseason.

Miller is just a stop gap for Lack. Honestly, I'd be ok splitting duties between Lack and Miller. But I think WD will let things sort themselves out.

Just my 2 cents.

Eddie Lack wont fetch much in return yet so we would be basically giving him away. I say we hold onto him.

This is it in a nutshell. If a team was willing to pay a good price for Lack (1st round pick or quality prospect), then yeah, it makes perfect sense. However, judging by recent returns on goalies, I don't think you'd get enough for him to make it worthwhile.

Boston may be interested in Markstrom. Their only signed back-up wasn't very good last year in the AHL. I could see him packaged with another decent player for a cap dump (Kelly? Boychuk? Eriksson???).

Archived