The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NYPD cops kill father of six, ignore his pleas while being choked

The video is on the site

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/staten-island-da-man-death-nypd-chokehold-article-1.1871946

Two cops pulled off streets, Staten Island DA looking into death of dad of six after NYPD cop put him in chokehold during sidewalk takedown — EXCLUSIVE VIDEO Police Commissioner Bill Bratton, Mayor de Blasio, who has postponed his Italian vacation, promise full investigation at a City Hall news conference. Staten Island District Attorney Daniel M. Donovan Jr. investigating the chokehold death of Eric Garner during an arrest.
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Friday, July 18, 2014, 12:02 PM
Updated: Friday, July 18, 2014, 6:27 PM
Amid a controversy over the death of a Staten Island man following a confrontation with the NYPD, Mayor de Blasio on Friday abruptly postponed his departure for a family vacation in Italy, hours before he was scheduled to depart.

In a brief statement, press secretary Phil Walzak cited only de Blasio’s need “to attend to City business.”

Updates to the Mayor’s schedule will be provided as they become available, he added.

article-choke1-0717.jpgNew York Daily News Enlargechoke18n-12-web.jpgNew York Daily News Enlargearticle-choke4-0717.jpgNew York Daily News Enlarge

A 400-pound asthmatic Staten Island dad died Thursday after a cop put him in a chokehold and other officers appeared to slam his head against the sidewalk, according to video of the incident.

This comes as two NYPD officers were yanked off the street Friday as cops and the Staten Island district attorneys investigated the stunning death of a suspect placed in a banned chokehold.

The officers were slated for desk duty pending completion of the probe into Thursday’s death of Eric Garner, 43, as he was brought down by five NYPD officers outside a Tompkinsville beauty parlor.

“Loss of life is always a tragedy,” said Police Commissioner Bill Bratton at a City Hall news conference. “Nobody began the day with the expectation it would end the way it did.

article-choke6-0717.jpgNew York Daily News Enlargearticle-choke7-0717.jpgNew York Daily News Enlarge

Within moments Garner, a married father of six children with two grandchildren, ceased struggling and appeared to become unconscious as police called paramedics to the scene.

“So it’s a tragedy ... that needs to be totally investigation, with the questions answered.”

He was joined by Mayor de Blasio, who had earlier sent his condolences to the dead man’s family and promised a “full and thorough investigation.”

cigs.jpgEsaw Garner holds pic of her late husband as she sits with sons Emery (l.) and Eric. “They wouldn’t tell me anything,” she said of cops.
Previous Next
  • cigs.jpg
  • cigs.jpg
  • choke18n-20-web.jpg
Enlarge
Sam Costanza

The Rev. Al Sharpton said the one-sided attack on an unarmed man who couldn’t breath was an outrage.

“It’s the most inhumane, insensitive display of disregard for the citizens you’re supposed to protect that I’ve seen in a long time,” Sharpton said.

choke19n-5-web.jpgJohn Roca/For New York Daily News (By John Mayor DeBlasio and Police Commissioner Bratton vowed at a news conference at City Hall that there would be a full investigation into the death of Eric Garner.

The two officers put on desk duty were not identified, but one had eight years with the NYPD and the other four years before their violent encounter with Garner.

“My office is working along with the NYPD to do a complete and thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding Mr. Garner's death,” said District Attorney Daniel M. Donovan Jr. in a Friday statement.

choke19n-6-web.jpgJohn Roca/For New York Daily News (By John “Loss of life is always a tragedy,” said Police Commissioner Bill Bratton at a City Hall news conference. “Nobody began the day with the expectation it would end the way it did."

The police Internal Affairs department began its investigation Thursday night, hours after the unarmed man’s death.

The NYPD, in its official statement about the fatal incident, said only that Garner went into cardiac arrest and died at Richmond University Medical Center. No criminal charges were filed Thursday in the death.

choke19n-1-web.jpgJoe Marino/New York Daily News Staten Island District Attorney Daniel M. Donovan says his office is looking into the death of Eric Garner.

But a video captured Garner’s desperate pleas for help as one cop shoved his head into the sidewalk and three others pinned him down — while a fifth cop put him in handcuffs.

“I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe!” he shouted in vain. By the video’s end, Garner was lying motionless on the sidewalk as cops chased eyewitnesses away.

Officers involved in fatal arrest of Staten Island man now on desk...
Police Commissioner Bratton says the two officers involved in the fatal arrest of Eric Garner on Staten Island have been placed on administrative duty.
WPIX_75x27.png?t=1405700640
13868030.jpg?t=1405700640

Garner is the married father of six kids and grandfather to two. His outraged family said cops provided them with no details until they arrived at the hospital to identify the body.

Garner says on the video that he was breaking up a fight before cops arrived, and insisted that he was wrongly accused.

“I did nothing,” he said loudly. “I was sitting here the whole time, minding my business.”

One thing, never resist arrest...
Another thing, the officers should be tried for murder.

Isn't there a country where all officers are required to where cameras that are recording at all times? Am I making that up, or is that real? Because I think that should be necessary with all these screw ups.

The real gangsters/thugs.

Have always said the police are the worser criminals. Not all of them but a good junk of them. Another case of police abuse, condolences to the family and NYPD, screw you.

The worser criminals? I've gone up to officers before and talked to them, had a conversation with them. Try going into a drug cartel's house and see if you get a similar reception.

Worser isn't a word.

These peanut heads don't reflect every single police officer. I've witnessed / dealt with plenty who are understanding, and patient.

One thing, never resist arrest...

Another thing, the officers should be tried for murder.

Isn't there a country where all officers are required to where cameras that are recording at all times? Am I making that up, or is that real? Because I think that should be necessary with all these screw ups.

The answer is actually yes. The US has multiple states now that require law enforcement to wear cameras on their persons during shift. IN fact it has led to a reduction of complaints in a number of areas counties and districts. But then you get a guy like this....

NSFW by the way

http://aattp.org/caught-on-tape-texas-cop-executes-handcuffed-suspect-video/

Same officer under investigation for multiple incidents of turning his camera off and then complaints being filed for actions occurring afterwards.

But sometimes, even cameras are not enough

http://www.vice.com/read/albequerque-shooting-james-boyd

The problem is there are 2 groups of people who become cops:

• The kind of people who actually want to make a positive difference
  • The kind of people who like to bully people and want a job where they can do so

Until police forces change their culture and develop more effective tools for screening the second kind of applicant out, these incidents will continue to occur no matter what kind of changes are made at a higher level (note that the chokehold used was banned).

Guy has a rap sheep 30 crimes long.

Police never put him in a choke hold. They just put their arms around his chest and threw him to the ground. STANDARD POLICE TAKEDOWN.

After he was on the ground he yelled "I cant breathe" 4 times. He had an asthma attack.

So to make a long story short... big 400 pound guy fights police, is taken to ground, has an asthma attack, and dies.

Police did nothing wrong here, just their job.

The worser criminals? I've gone up to officers before and talked to them, had a conversation with them. Try going into a drug cartel's house and see if you get a similar reception.

Worser isn't a word.

These peanut heads don't reflect every single police officer. I've witnessed / dealt with plenty who are understanding, and patient.

I didn't say every single one. I know people that are officers too but reality is practically every police department is corrupt and do things that if a citizen did would he convicted for undoubtedly.

Police never put him in a choke hold. They just put their arms around his chest and threw him to the ground. STANDARD POLICE TAKEDOWN.

After he was on the ground he yelled "I cant breathe" 4 times. He had an asthma attack.

So to make a long story short... big 400 pound guy fights police, is taken to ground, has an asthma attack, and dies.

Did you even watch the video or even look at the picture......

You should watch the video before commenting. If you did watch it, you don't have a clue.

Bring back the minus button.

I watched the video. Funny how the video cuts out right at the exact times. The guy taking the video is obviously bias towards the police. It doesn't show what the guy does the provoke the police to attack him. What I see is the police being very patient with him, sitting there, letting him vent. Then we see the police tackle him. Why? Obviously this "30 time criminal" did something. There was no choke hold in the video. None at all. Just a chest grab that LOOKED like a choke hold.

You guys are just part of the bandwagon of police haters. What do you want, police not to enforce laws? You want some angry 400 pound guy going around doing what he wants? Hes been arrested 30 times, was yelling on the corner mad, apparently "broke up a fight". If you saw a guy like this downtown youd probably call the cops on him too. Stop being hypocrites.

Police did nothing wrong and good job to them for keeping the streets safe. The fact this guy died is VERY VERY SAD. He should not have died. He should have not let himself get so worked up if he had asthma. But to blame the police is ridiculous.

Thank god the mass mobs don't determine guilt though. This police officer will get a fair investigation and be found innocent.

Im done posting in here. Right off the bat, Im not going to post here. Just will get heated, then a mod will come in and think im stiring stuff up. I said my peace. I don't really care. Just how I see it.

Lets put it this way.... Ive seen 500000 times worse things police have done. At worst, this is BORDERLINE overly aggressive police. What happened at YVR, when the guy was tazered and died, was 50 times worse than this. This is nothing compared to that.

Must be a boring news day..............

Done posting.

I watched the video. Funny how the video cuts out right at the exact times. The guy taking the video is obviously bias towards the police. It doesn't show what the guy does the provoke the police to attack him. What I see is the police being very patient with him, sitting there, letting him vent. Then we see the police tackle him. Why? Obviously this "30 time criminal" did something. There was no choke hold in the video. None at all. Just a chest grab that LOOKED like a choke hold.

You guys are just part of the bandwagon of police haters. What do you want, police not to enforce laws? You want some angry 400 pound guy going around doing what he wants? Hes been arrested 30 times, was yelling on the corner mad, apparently "broke up a fight". If you saw a guy like this downtown youd probably call the cops on him too. Stop being hypocrites.

Police did nothing wrong and good job to them for keeping the streets safe. The fact this guy died is VERY VERY SAD. He should not have died. He should have not let himself get so worked up if he had asthma. But to blame the police is ridiculous.

Thank god the mass mobs don't determine guilt though. This police officer will get a fair investigation and be found innocent.

The cops even said it was a BANNED move

Im done posting in here. Right off the bat, Im not going to post here. Just will get heated, then a mod will come in and think im stiring stuff up. I said my peace. I don't really care. Just how I see it.

Lets put it this way.... Ive seen 500000 times worse things police have done. At worst, this is BORDERLINE overly aggressive police. What happened at YVR, when the guy was tazered and died, was 50 times worse than this. This is nothing compared to that.

Must be a boring news day..............

Done posting.

Good. You lost all cred when you said there was no choke anyway. Let the adults discuss this matter.

Bye.

Archived