The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Teams over the Cap pay a premium to get under the cap?

Will teams pay a premium to get under the cap?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi

I made a proposal here and although not a good proposal, it did start a conversation, that I would very much like answered by CDC at large.

I stated that the Teams that are not Cap Compliant will be taking less than fair market value for some of their players, when it comes closer to the end of training camp.

My example is Vincent Lecavier from Phili. Phili is now way over the cap and they will have to shed just over $3,000,000

My opinion is Lecavier will cost Phili something to trade him, more than usual, as they must be cap compliant by the end of Training cap.

My example is Lecavier for player A + $2,000,000 cap + a prospect or pick

Now ordinarly he would not cost that much, but Phili needs to move money so there is an extra cost from other teams

The other Poster basically said that teams will get fair maket value because there will be so many teams lining up to trade with these teams with Cap overages and will have to make fair offers or run the risk of not having the None Cap Compliant teams acept their offers

What do you think? Please Vote and comment.

Thanks .

Once Pronger goes on LTIR they are tight to the cap but not over. Boston is in a lot more trouble and Chicago will be too. Rangers have had horrible cap management.

Clubs have been very resistant to making NBA type deals where good players are dumped for second round picks (which is about equivalent to 4-7th round picks in NHL). Closest we have probably seen was the Erhoff deal. I don't know if we will ever get to the point where teams are giving draft picks to take a contract. I think you will see more of instead of throwing in that draft pick to even out deals, a contract will be thrown in.

No.

- A reputation is important. For any team with new management or any team in rebuild, they would likely like to build their reputation and there team together. So when they need help, teams they have a good rep with will help them out.

Not a chance. GMS aren't in a position to just "help out" their competition. Many don't have cap/contract/roster space and the ones that do are deliberately not spending to the cap.

More likely is that being cap compliant will cost more than a cap dump trade.

Hi

I made a proposal here and although not a good proposal, it did start a conversation, that I would very much like answered by CDC at large.

I stated that the Teams that are not Cap Compliant will be taking less than fair market value for some of their players, when it comes closer to the end of training camp.

My example is Vincent Lecavier from Phili. Phili is now way over the cap and they will have to shed just over $3,000,000

My opinion is Lecavier will cost Phili something to trade him, more than usual, as they must be cap compliant by the end of Training cap.

Now ordinarly he would not cost that much, but Phili needs to move money so there is an extra cost from other teams

The other Poster basically said that teams will get fair maket value because there will be so many teams lining up to trade with these teams with Cap overages and will have to make fair offers or run the risk of not having the None Cap Compliant teams acept their offers

Thanks .

Teams may not get full value, but no one's going to give anyone away and throw in a bunch a party favors to help them become cap compliant.

Burkie got laughed at when he offered to take Ribeiro if ARZ would throw in a something-something for nothing...so much so that Maloney chose to throw Ribeiro on the normal course buy out heap.

Once Pronger goes on LTIR they are tight to the cap but not over. Boston is in a lot more trouble and Chicago will be too. Rangers have had horrible cap management.

Clubs have been very resistant to making NBA type deals where good players are dumped for second round picks (which is about equivalent to 4-7th round picks in NHL). Closest we have probably seen was the Erhoff deal. I don't know if we will ever get to the point where teams are giving draft picks to take a contract. I think you will see more of instead of throwing in that draft pick to even out deals, a contract will be thrown in.

Don't they have to be cap compliant by the time it was cap compliant

Yeah the NBA is quite different. Remember the Lakers traded Peeler and Lynch to the Grizzlies for something like a swap of second-rounders, in order to free capspace to sign Shaq. In the NBA, you only need 3 star players to be a contender, but in the NHL you need a whole lot more than that.

If it were a spectacular year for FAs, then a team could conceivably unload a bunch of players and sign several, but even 3-4 stars on a roster of 20 isn't going to suddenly make them a contender like it would in the NBA where typically 7-8 players get upwards of 90% of the available minutes.

Hi

Thanks .

lol @ philly being over the cap. GG kid

Archived