The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

rookies forwards steal spots at camp outcome discussion

say vey, jensen, fox, shinkaruk, gaunce, kenins, horvat out perform our vets 3-4 stay up 3 play in utica

sedin sedin vrbata 1st lines set in stone 21mins

kassian bonino shinkaruk 13mins

higgins horvat vey 13mins

mattias gaunce dorsett big mean 4th line that could play 13mins search and destroy line

roll bottom 3 lines evenly

jensen fox kenins help develope in utica

hansen and burrows would be press boxed until they waive ntc pretty sure theyd waive real quick

So you think jensen needs more development yet you have shinkaruk on the 2nd line...

. not that i dont like jensen but shinkaruk almost stole a spot last yr on one hip dirty dangles and snipes against lunquist i see shinkaruk as a future 1st line winger more upside than jensen but i could be wrong

I would like to gamble on a rook it would be on the 4th line our top 9 are set unless we trade a vet (Hansen/Burr)

I would gamble on Fox at centre on the 4th as he has less to lose development wise than Gaunce, Horvat, or Jensen.

Jensen should have an opportunity but he's not a centreman. I would like to gamble on Gaunce but he lacks the scoring touch of a Fox type. Plus Fox plays with an edge.

If we're playing the Sedins-Vrbata line 21 mins a game, we're in trouble.

But the rooks aren't going to be able to play a ton of mins per right out the gate either.

We need to be patient through the rebuild process.

Reasonable icetime expectations for the forwards if they are to remain competitive throughout the season:

H. Sedin: 16-17 mins per game

D. Sedin: 15-16 mins per game

Vrbata: 15-16 mins per game

Burrows: 15-16 mins per game

Higgins: 14-15 mins per game

Bonino: 13-14 mins per game

Kassian: 13-14 mins per game

Richardson: 12-13 mins per game

Matthias: 12-13 mins per game

Hansen: 12-13 mins per game

Jensen: 10-11 mins per game

Dorsett: 7-8 mins per game

Vey: 7-8 mins per game

Sestito: 4-5 mins per game

The forwards will be able to play around 51 minutes of competitive hockey per game this season. There will be a lot of times when the team looks flat on the forecheck, backcheck, etc. Overplaying scoring-role players will lead to injuries. Similar to last season, but amplified with the loss of Kesler, who could play 18-19 effective minutes per game in a key shutdown and pk role.

Reasonable icetime expectations for the defensemen if they are to remain competitive throughout the season:

Hamhuis: 20-21 mins per game

Edler: 20-21 mins per game

Bieksa: 20-21 mins per game

Tanev: 19-20 mins per game

Sbisa: 12-13 mins per game

Stanton: 11-12 mins per game

Weber: 8-9 mins per game

Corrado: 7-8 mins per game

The defense will be able to play around 49 minutes of competitive hockey per game this season. There will be a lot of times when they are standing still, waiting for the play to unfold, letting Miller/Lack make a save, etc. Turnovers, icings and the like will be a constant theme for when the team starts getting exhausted. Similar to last year, but amplified due to the loss of Garrison, who could play 20-21 effective minutes per game including a key power play howitzer role.

say vey, jensen, fox, shinkaruk, gaunce, kenins, horvat out perform our vets 3-4 stay up 3 play in utica

sedin sedin vrbata 1st lines set in stone 21mins

kassian bonino shinkaruk 13mins

higgins horvat vey 13mins

mattias gaunce dorsett big mean 4th line that could play 13mins search and destroy line

roll bottom 3 lines evenly

jensen fox kenins help develope in utica

hansen and burrows would be press boxed until they waive ntc pretty sure theyd waive real quick

I'll ignore Kennis and Fox since they'll be in Utica for sure.

I would want:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Jensen (or Shinkaruk)-Vey-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Horvat (or Gaunce)

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Sestito

Burrows will need to be the leader of the bottom 6.

Horvat- I honestly think he's ready but he'll have to fight for a roster spot so it'll be tough. If he gets sent back down to London, he'll be in the big club the year after.

Jensen- showed signs of brilliance in the few games he played last season. If he can show some defensive awareness and consistency, he should play in the NHL next season. However, a year in the AHL with big minutes could do wonders for him

Vey- definitely ready. Baked to perfection by LA and is served to us. He'll be serviceable this upcoming season.

Corrado- definitely ready to play in the NHL but it looks like the final spot will go to Stanton and since Stanton can't go to the AHL, looks like Corrado will take another year in the AHL. He's a complete player with solid offensive upside, hopefully he can bring it out.

Gaunce- there's no doubt he's eager to play in the NHL but he should play a full season in the AHL. Maybe even 2 seasons. We have a plethora of centers and there's no rush for him. There are still areas he can improve on.

Shinkaruk- he definitely has NHL-level skill and speed but he needs to work on his cardio and he can get stronger. One year in the AHL with a couple call-ups and he'll be ready

Virtanen- the injured shoulder will take time so he won't be ready for a couple years. He'll have a much bigger role for the Hitmen so he'll improve on some of the weaker areas of his game. He was one of the younger draft eligibles so 2 years in the WHL will be fine.

Shinkaruk was the last player cut from camp last year so I honestly could see him make the team next season. He's a winger with little defensive responsibilities, and an NHL-ready shot and skating.

Jensen and Kassian will be expected to be regulars in the lineup next season and rightfully so, but I hope they get top-6 minutes and play more important roles as they develop into key players for our future core.

I believe Horvat and Gaunce are still ways off. They were both slow last training camp and despite losing some weight, both of them are centers and need to develop more than wingers. If they can play wing that's great, they may get a shot at a bottom-6 wing position but they're well behind the development of Vey (point per game in the AHL, he's NHL ready), Matthias and Richardson.

As for Dane Fox, yes he lit it up but he's an overager and this sort of success has happened before. He's comparable to Chad LaRose who also scored a tonne of goals, but was the only one who made an NHL impact from the similar mould. I expect him to make 4th line wing at best.

This is the most rookies our team will realistically have in the fold next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins (Chris Higgins is still a 15-20 goal scorer and won't be out-competed by rookies yet)

Hansen - Matthias - Jensen (Hansen is still good for around 15 goals and like Higgins, won't lose his spot to a kid)

Shinkaruk - Richardson - Vey

I just don't see Hansen losing his roster spot, as he's a solid PK player and the prototypical 3rd liner who consistently produces 10-15 goals every single season. He may break-out, he may not but he's always good for his money and minutes.

Higgins is very similar, but Burrows will most likely become the new Booth and lose his roster spot to a bunch of kids who deserve the minutes more than he does.

Archived