The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Player Discussion] Matthias

Bure to Mogilny

So time for a nother discusion of one of are new guys who is young and has a lot to proove. Matthias had a lot of hope been drafted 8 years a go but has not lived up to the hype yet a lot of people think hes got a lot of room to improove. I am in that camp. Also is entering his final year of contract before he is UFA so u know he wants the money. I see a big suprise year out of the guy with a big role on the third line. Would be sweet seen him on a line with Burr and Kass - would be a amazing third line. Am hopeing for 33 pts.

Matthias is 26 and 6'4 225 lbs. had poor numbers in panthers last year with 16 pts in 59 games but 7 pts with us in 18 games. Only a -3 combined on two pretty crappy teams is not bad to

2 crappy teams huh. Sorry but even though Canucks had a bad year.. ONE bad year that is.. I will never call my team "crappy". :(

anyways

I'd love to see a

Matthias/Bonino/Kassian

line. Let's see what Matthias can do. I mean.. he was on a not so good panthers team. Matthias if healthy can put up decent points. And near the end last year.. he had a good decent chemistry with Kassian. Putting them on the same line would not only be good for Matthias, but for Kassian as he'll get a lot more points and he's due for a breakout season.

Seriously.. I'd love it if that were the case.

He scored 14 in 48 during the shortened season, which would be around 19 goals over a full year. Pretty good goal scoring clip.

I think he plays on the third line, moves up to the top 6 when there are injuries, Probably scores around 15/15/30 for us. Last year he was on pace for 32 points so that seems doable.

Matthias is pretty much an average player, making average salary, in a 3rd line role. Only thing that really stands out is his size. In fact everything about his game is just "average" - offense, defense, skating, scoring, physicality. He doesn't really have any strengths or weaknesses.

He was displeased with 4th line minutes in Florida, but with Higgins and Hansen pretty much the lock wingers for the 3rd, it looks like he's on the 4th unless either completely fail to produce. Alternately, if Ley doesn't work out as hoped I imagine Matthias would be moved up as 3rd line centre.

benning told matthias, that they tried to trade for him when benning was with boston...many people feel matthias plays better on the wing...

yeah i kinda feel that Matthias suits the wing more too...

Matthias-Vey-Hansen as it stands currently for our third line I think.

You have a right and left shooting centre who can take the faceoffs on their respective strong sides.

So what would be our first two lines? With that 3rd line, we would have

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins/Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Which would leave one of Higgy or Burr to play on the fourth line. I'd rather have one of them playing on the third line than Matthias/Hansen

I think Matthias knows better than anybody that positions won't be given and he'll need to earn a roll. He's vastly underrated and if given the right opportunity, he may be quite a bit better than we originally expected

he might start on the third or forth line but I am calling it right now by the end of the season our second line will be Matthias, Vey, Kassian all putting up monster numbers and giving our top line who have a bonce back yeah as far as the twins are concerned a run for their money in the points department...

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Which would leave one of Higgy or Burr to play on the fourth line. I'd rather have one of them playing on the third line than Matthias/Hansen

Honestly I think there will be a serious battle for 2C at camp. May the best man win :D Vey could very well blow errbody's socks off and we could be deeper down the middle than expected. I would like to see Mathias converted to wing myself. Great second face off guy if he can make the transition.

Really what I am hoping for.

considering he was buried behind some younger guys in Florida with higher upside and needed to get the ice time for development even if they were not the better players at the time so that's why he wanted out of Florida.

I just hope we don't put him on the forth line he is much better then many know because he hasn't had the chance to prove himself. He is not a superstar but I say he will be a top six on our team.

And if he and kassian can prove to be top six players we are looking good and big. Two top six guys that are 6'3/6'4 220 can score hit and fight is what you need playing against our division.

Matthias isn't a very good fighter but he will drop em esp to protect his teammates.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Matthias-Vey-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Dorsett

... as far as I see it currently.

Archived