The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting a cat

sakage.shinga

So my parents are thinking of getting a cat, and naturally it falls to me to do all the research for them and then explaining it to them. So far I've decided (for them) that they're going to adopt from a local SPCA or Animal Rescue, that it will be a male kitten, and that declawing is definitely OFF the table.

I understand that while cats are comparatively easier to care for than dogs, they still require brushing, nail clipping, and a litter box that is emptied daily and cleaned weekly. However, I do have some other questions.

1) Will a short hair cat generally shed less?

2) When a cat owner goes on vacation, either a day trip or for a few days, are there paid shelters that he can be sent to? What do cat owners generally do in such cases?

3) Medical insurance, do cats need them? I've heard people who swear by them, but others that just pay out of pocket.

4) As a rough ball park, how much are my parents looking at as annual expenses?

5) When it comes to cat breeds, I'm of the understanding that it's more or less aesthetics only, and that mixed breeds are healthier than pure breds. Is this true?

6) Suggestions for brands of dry + wet food?

Aside from this, any other tips or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks!

Another good option other then the spca is VOKRA. http://www.orphankittenrescue.com/)

1. I think it depends on the cat. My Gilly girl is a short hair kitty (but she is half persian) and she sheds quite a bit still, however due to the fact that long hair kitties have longer hair they need to be groomed more.

2) You can hire a pet sitter or put them into a kennel (vet) personally I sweet talk friends or family to come look after Gilly when I go away, or if possible I bring her with me.

3) I do not have medical insurance for Gilly but I do keep her shots and other vet visit up to date. She is an indoor kitty and I feel she probably doesn't need medical insurance. However my boyfriend and I will be adopting a Persian kitten in the near future and due to the heath risks that purebreds have I think I will probably look into getting medical insurance for the other kitty (and probably Gilly ).

4) Kitties are expensive. I pay about $30-60 a month on food/treat/litter costs. You need to make sure you have CAT furniture. A cat tree and some scratching posts and some toys. This is importnat because KITTIES need to be able to scratch. It is a natural instinct and if they do not have the proper tools to do so they will scratch your furniture. I also recommend brushing the kitty from the start so they get used to being groomed, this is especially true for long hair kitties. vet costs will cost you. This is where you may wanna get medical insurance(I was too poor when I got Gilly) It costs me about $200-300 a year for Gillys vet bills. This includes vaccinations, flea medication, check ups, etc.

5) This is true mixed breeds are healthier, pure breds are good though for knowning what type of cat you will be getting. Most purebreds have specific type of temperment and you also have the 'family' history. They are expensive though if you are planning on going through a breeder. However, if your parents really want a purebred (and don't care about having a kitten) you can often find purebred cats in shelters.

The other thing I would reccomend is pay the extra money for heathy food ( I feed gilly Fromm) because this will not only help your kitty be strong and healthy but it will also reduce the chance of your kitty getting sick due to eating crap.

My sister fed her cat whiskers for like 10 years and he got diabetes because of it and now she has to pay an outrageous amount of money every few months to buy him insulin, plus get him checked up. She is a big advocate for healthy food now.

I highly reccomend this food http://frommfamily.com/products/four-star/

I got a kitten and its ute and fluffy and all but it looks like my hands were at war with needles. I have cuts everywhere. Its litter stinks so f****** bad. It scratches everything and we bought a spray bottle to spray her when she does it but it makes her do it more. Cat nip has no effect on here. Ant-scratch/bite spray doesn’t work.

But the cat is cute...

I've owned cats since I was 4 years old, at most - my mother was a hoarder and we had around 50, we currently have 9(Oldest is 17 years old)

Yes, Shorts hairs shed much less.

Yes, there should be shelters that take cats; if in Chilliwack/ Abbotsford - I HIGHLY suggest calling CASH(Chilliwack Animal Safe Haven) They are amazing people there; it may also be a good place to adopt a cat from.

If you could afford pet insurance, and are actually going to love this cat, then yes, I would, treat him like a family member, keep him around for as long as you can - I promise the love you get back is worth it, Cats are awesome like that , and amazing bed warmers in the winter.

A 20LB bag of food lasts my 9 cats about a week and half, its about $25 for a 20LB bag of reasonable quality food. and that doesn't include Wet food - which is essential and should be fed to the cat at least once a day, Litter is about $16 for a large bag, wet food is anywhere from 49 cents a can to a 1.30 or so.

Find a brand of food that is good, and stick with it - cats don't like a change in diet.

Cats also tend to "Munch" more than dogs, meaning that they tend to pick away at a meal over the course of time(Or at least my cats do :P )

I can't tell you much about breeding, as mine were mostly abandoned critters that I've just decided to welcome into the family; but I can say it doesn't matter much, they all have unique personalities just like people. Some like being picked up, some don't.

2) When a cat owner goes on vacation, either a day trip or for a few days, are there paid shelters that he can be sent to? What do cat owners generally do in such cases?

3) Medical insurance, do cats need them? I've heard people who swear by them, but others that just pay out of pocket.

I've had a cat pretty much all my life.

2- This one makes me laugh. Cats are the most independent pets you can have. Not only are they fine for a few days or more but we've left ours outside countless times when we've gone away for the weekend and they survive just fine. Indoors, just make sure they have the litter box, food and water. They sleep the rest of the time.

3 - We've never bought insurance. Maybe we've been lucky but I'm on my 3rd cat and aside from medical checkups and the odd medical issue (always minor) we've never had any problems.

Cats are great. Not as needy as dogs. And I have a dog now too so dogs lovers can chill.

Our cat has pretty much never had her "nails"/claws clipped, so I wouldn't say that's necessarily a necessity.

Brushing is crucial if you have a long-haired cat, but our cat is an American short hair and it only needs the occasional brush during shedding season.

The biggest things are just the litter box, food, and water. Quite nice and easy to care for. They appreciate some attention as well, but don't need it as much as dogs do.

A bed of some kind is nice, but if you're feeling thrifty, cats will love a nice pillow as much as an overpriced bed from a pet store. Also, something to scratch their claws on is nice too, as they tend to love doing that. Other than that, you really don't need much.

Edit: To actually respond to your specific questions:

Frankly, I don't know, but I'd assume they would shed less, yes.

In every single vacation we've gone on (the longest being about 7 days) we've just left our cat at home with a clean litter box and loads of food and she's handled herself fine. Unless your cat is a kitten or you're going away for more than a week, I wouldn't worry much about shelters.

Never even heard of it. We've had our cat for 14.5 years and we've never had to do anything with medical insurance.

Seeing as I've never had to pay for any expenses, I can't help you here :(. I can tell you that they're a heck of a lot cheaper than dogs though, seeing as they eat a lot less.

5) When it comes to cat breeds, I'm of the understanding that it's more or less aesthetics only, and that mixed breeds are healthier than pure breds. Is this true?

No clue, sorry.

I've had a cat pretty much all my life.

2- This one makes me laugh. Cats are the most independent pets you can have. Not only are they fine for a few days or more but we've left ours outside countless times when we've gone away for the weekend and they survive just fine. Indoors, just make sure they have the litter box, food and water. They sleep the rest of the time.

3 - We've never bought insurance. Maybe we've been lucky but I'm on my 3rd cat and aside from medical checkups and the odd medical issue (always minor) we've never had any problems.

Cats are great. Not as needy as dogs. And I have a dog now too so dogs lovers can chill.

Please educate yourself.

Myth: Outdoors is a cat's natural environment.

When cats became domesticated thousands of years ago, they were removed from their natural environment. They have evolved to the point where they depend on humans for food and shelter; therefore, their natural environment is now indoors.

Myth: It is cruel to deprive my cat of the pleasures of being outside.

While it is true that cats do like to go outdoors, they can be perfectly content indoors. Many indoor cats actually find the outdoors very frightening. With consideration and planning on your part, you can provide toys and activities to keep your cat healthy and happy indoors. And with patience, your cat can even be leash-trained to make the occasional trip outdoors at your side.

Myth: Cats can take care of themselves.

Outdoor cats face higher risks of injury and illness; their life spans are dramatically lower. Millions of taxpayers dollars are spent every year to rescue, treat, feed and house cats that are allowed to roam-free.

So my parents are thinking of getting a cat, and naturally it falls to me to do all the research for them and then explaining it to them. So far I've decided (for them) that they're going to adopt from a local SPCA or Animal Rescue, that it will be a male kitten, and that declawing is definitely OFF the table.

I understand that while cats are comparatively easier to care for than dogs, they still require brushing, nail clipping, and a litter box that is emptied daily and cleaned weekly. However, I do have some other questions.

Thanks!

1) I have a long hair cat, shedding isn't too bad. I would assume a short haired cat would shed significantly less, as there is less volume.

2) I get a friend to come by and check up on her. My cat is an outdoor cat (I feel all cats should be, as long as they aren't idiots). So a friend, or my father will come by, let her out. Later at night they will come by again, and let her in. Or I'll ask a friend to house sit. There are also shelters.

3) I do not have insurance for my cat. It's in the insurance companies best interest to profit, therefor I don't see how I would benefit. If the cat's prone to eat things it shouldn't, or gets sick often, perhaps its a good idea. I've been fortunate enough my cat hasn't gotten hurt, or sick in 3 years, and with the money saved on insurance if something does happen, I have that extra income to take her in to the vet no problem.

4) I don't buy her purina, or other grocery store brand cat food, as it's terrible for the cat. I purchase higher quality stuff, that's about $30 for a bigger bag, as well as wet cat food (Cats require wet cat food in a healthy diet, as they don't depend on their prey to hydrate themselves, due to not drinking much water) So I figure about $30 a month.

PS. Do not buy your cat a bed. Waste of money. Also, make sure you get a good scratching post from the get go. I bought her a crappy one, and it went to waste. Then I bought her another one (which is kind of to waste, because she's an outdoor cat...)

Also, limit the toys you purchase off the get go. Red laser toy which can be found at a dollar store (NOT A PET STORE) will be about a dollar. Buy it from a pet store and it's $6-10.

5) I don't know. Get your pet spayed or neutered. They are over populated.

Also, don't get your cat declawed or I'll murder you.

Indoor cats have a longer life expentecy then outdoor cats, so I would highly suggest that you keep your kitty indoors, especially if you live in the city.

If you want your kitty to experince outside then you can buy a cat harnass and train it to go for walks. I have done this with my cat but she doesn't like going further then the back yard, and my landlord had a yappy dog.

Also if possible I would suggest TWO kitties so they do not get bored or lonely if your parents are going to be away from home all the time.

Please educate yourself.

When cats became domesticated thousands of years ago, they were removed from their natural environment. They have evolved to the point where they depend on humans for food and shelter; therefore, their natural environment is now indoors.

While it is true that cats do like to go outdoors, they can be perfectly content indoors. Many indoor cats actually find the outdoors very frightening. With consideration and planning on your part, you can provide toys and activities to keep your cat healthy and happy indoors. And with patience, your cat can even be leash-trained to make the occasional trip outdoors at your side.

Outdoor cats face higher risks of injury and illness; their life spans are dramatically lower. Millions of taxpayers dollars are spent every year to rescue, treat, feed and house cats that are allowed to roam-free.

I think this depends on the cat.

I've seen my cat climbing roofs, and what not. She was originally a stray, and is a very smart street cat.

It should be tested, and closely monitored if you want her to be an outdoor cat.

Some cats are idiots.

Please educate yourself.

Like I said, I've had cats my whole life. The first 2 died of old age and my current cat is 14 yrs old and near the end. Always had them outdoors. I'm not going to change how I keep my cats.

And that article is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. Cats on a leash? I've seen people do that and it has to be the dumbest, cruelest thing I've seen. Very selfish on the humans part. I would never do that do my cat.

I think this depends on the cat.

I've seen my cat climbing roofs, and what not. She was originally a stray, and is a very smart street cat.

It should be tested, and closely monitored if you want her to be an outdoor cat.

Some cats are idiots.

I think it depends where you live. I used to live near the pne and everywhere in my neighbourhood there were missing cat posters because we had coyotes in the area.

I personally do not want to risk Gilly getting run over by a car or eaten by a wild animal or lost so I personally keep her inside and just bring her out on the leash or sometimes even just carry her outside and supervise her in the back yard or something.

Thanks!

1) I have both a long hair and short haired cat. The shed equally, it's just the long hair is more visible. I brush them both every 2nd day.

2) Yes, depending on where you live. You can pay people to come in and feed/care for your cat. Or you can take them to animal care faculties. You obviously have to find a credible place, a place where you can trust.

3) I've never had cat insurance (had cats my entire life). But i wish I did. Over time, most cats will need some type of teeth care and it's really expensive (thousands of dollars)

4) Depending on how you care for your cat. I use veterinarian food as it's the best, but the cost is higher. You can get much lower cost food (from grocery stores/Bosleys etc) but it's not good for your cat IMO. Also depends if your cats is indoors or outdoors? I'd recommend to not let your cat outside unless it's completely fenced in. My personal cost per cat per yr is prob approx $1,600 minimum. That's without any major vet expenses.

5) Not sure

I'd recommend checking out local cat shelters (not the SPCA). Theses shelters are owned/operated by caring people in the community who take in homeless cats and care for them (with the help of volunteers). I live in Victoria, here are some examples of these shelters Link1 Link2

Like I said, I've had cats my whole life. The first 2 died of old age and my current cat is 14 yrs old and near the end. Always had them outdoors. I'm not going to change how I keep my cats.

And that article is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. Cats on a leash? I've seen people do that and it has to be the dumbest, cruelest thing I've seen. Very selfish on the humans part. I would never do that do my cat.

Just because you've had cats for along time doesn't mean you treated them well. Too often people just "have cats" and just put up with them like the two below seem to indicate, to actually have a bond, and a loving relationship is a different story.

Of all the pets possible you want a CAT?

*shudders*

I got a kitten and its ute and fluffy and all but it looks like my hands were at war with needles. I have cuts everywhere. Its litter stinks so f****** bad. It scratches everything and we bought a spray bottle to spray her when she does it but it makes her do it more. Cat nip has no effect on here. Ant-scratch/bite spray doesn’t work.

But the cat is cute...

Do you know how often I go over to a friends house an hear "Awww look at the cute Kitty" - and then find out its a "Stray" that isn't actually a stray, but an irresponsible owner letting their cat roam the neighborhood and do whatever they want. I'd bet your cats would have lived until their late teens at least if you had kept them inside.

Cats are the best! They can take care of themselves. I got my Sally Jayne at a pet store 9 years ago. She was the last one there, and was not too pretty.. I had this gorgeous cat Benji, and needed a buddy. Well, the neighbor decided Benji was going to be her's and when looking for him, told me that she got her cat from the pound, and her cat was Race Car. Well Race Car turned out to be Benji.. Anyhow, my Sally Jayne is the best! She know what time I get home from work. Sits at the window waiting for me if I am going to be home late :), and self efficent. Plus, she loves watching hockey! She is glued to the TV screen, and when the Olympics was happening, she got up front, with her paws on the table, watching hockey like mad! That's my kitty!

6) Suggestions for brands of dry + wet food?

Thanks!

Cats shed the same for the most part, but DSH appear to be less as their fur is shorter.

We have an auto feeder/waterer - else yes, you can let someone look after your cat.

No - never had insurance for any animal - had them all my life.

($250 a year for cat litter, $250 or so for cat food, $100 or so for vet bill) = $600 a year.

Plus throw in things like collars and toys and beds...

Problem with pure breds (of any animal) is sometimes there's too much inbreeding with can lead to imperfections. Had a purebred Shiatsu - died when she was only 2 and a half - heart failure. I've had a Siamese cross cat live 20 years as the oldest animal.

DRY FOOD ONLY! Moist food will rot your cat (or dogs) teeth. Worst thing anyone can give their pets is canned pet food.

edit: yes, I agree now, cats need a mix of wet and dry.

The 2 cats I have now are DSH crosses I'm assuming, they were farm kittens I rescued from a fire (farm was a drug op) and one is "calico" and the other "Tortise shell". Great cats.

Cats shed the same for the most part, but DSH appear to be less as their fur is shorter.

We have an auto feeder/waterer - else yes, you can let someone look after your cat.

No - never had insurance for any animal - had them all my life.

($250 a year for cat litter, $250 or so for cat food, $100 or so for vet bill) = $600 a year.

Plus throw in things like collars and toys and beds...

Problem with pure breds (of any animal) is sometimes there's too much inbreeding with can lead to imperfections. Had a purebred Shiatsu - died when she was only 2 and a half - heart failure. I've had a Siamese cross cat live 20 years as the oldest animal.

DRY FOOD ONLY! Moist food will rot your cat (or dogs) teeth. Worst thing anyone can give their pets is canned pet food.

The 2 cats I have now are DSH crosses I'm assuming, they were farm kittens I rescued from a fire (farm was a drug op) and one is "calico" and the other "Tortise shell". Great cats.

I've heard otherwise. Dry food will dehydrate cats as they don't like to drink much water, leading to many illnesses and vet bills. If you feed your cats dry food only, I highly suggest keeping an eye on their poop to make sure it isn't dry because it will mean that your cat is in fact dehydrated.

You can always try brushing their teeth, or you can also buy a seaweed kinda stuff (I forget what it's called) to sprinkle on their food that secretes through their gums and helps keep their teeth nice and clean.

Edit: also, knowing how crazy I'm sure we all are as cat owners, who will be the first to post a picture of their cat(s)? I don't want to be the first :P

Archived