The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion All Access Kesler Trade

Gstank29

I can't get a link but it's on the CDC homepage.

who is Johanson that Benning says Desjardin likes?

does he mean Ryan Johansen?

This will drive me crazy I must know :frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic:

All i heard was that "Our coach really likes Bonino, he's a distributor"

Didn't hear anything else in there ?

This stuff is awesome

Benning seems to have that ability to decide with his Guts and own hockey Experience. With Gillis every move seem calculated, analyzed inside-out, which is good, but at some point numbers can't explain/predict everything. You gotta go with gut feeling.

Great vid! Love seeing the behind the scenes stuff. For all those yesterday trying to stir the pot, saying Benning was trying to justify his picks... You can clearly see this is part of how he talks shop :). Personally I love it, and he would be somebody to share a pitcher with!

Man I love seeing more of this war room discussion type stuff. It'd be great to be a fly on the wall for all this kind of stuff and see what they really think.

But a few things:

• Desjardins likes Bonino so has seen him and feels he can use him
  • They think they can use Bonino as a distributor to make his linemates better
  • They think Sbisa might take a few years to really be a top 4 D
  • They weren't getting the 85th overall originally so worked to have that included
  • They thought there was a chance they lose the deal if they held out for the 85th overall
  • Garrison trade was contingent on bringing in another defenceman

Interesting to see how they built the deals over time and planned the subsequent deals around them as well.

Bonino had 0.92 assists per 60 minutes last year, at even strength. For context, that was 173rd among forwards in the league, and would have been 7th on the Canucks. Not sure we should count on him to be a playmaker, but maybe he can adapt to a new role here.

The fact that the 85th was fought hard for in the Kesler trade makes me think they had Tryamkin in their sights from early on. If we didn't get the 85th, we would have had to use our own 3rd rounder for Dorsett. and would have lost out on Trymakin. The fact that we moved our 2015 3rd for the one this year means that Tryamkin was definitely being targeted.

Also, they mentioned that they wanted the 85th for Dorsett, so that deal was already tentatively in place.

As the guy said in the all access draft video: Everything is fell into place.

Archived