The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion All Access Kesler Trade

Gstank29

• They think Sbisa might take a few years to really be a top 4 D

Benning has said he's generally satisfied with the defence, but if Sbisa is three years away from cracking the top-4, then that might explain why he hasn't touched them. If Bieksa or Hamhuis are deadline trade possibilities, someone else is going to have to come in to replace them. Maybe he thought Myers could?

• They weren't getting the 85th overall originally so worked to have that included

Would appear that to get it they had to surrender their 3rd for next year.

The fact that the 85th was fought hard for in the Kesler trade makes me think they had Tryamkin in their sights from early on. If we didn't get the 85th, we would have had to use our own 3rd rounder for Dorsett. and would have lost out on Trymakin. The fact that we moved our 2015 3rd for the one this year means that Tryamkin was definitely being targeted.

Also, they mentioned that they wanted the 85th for Dorsett, so that deal was already tentatively in place.

As the guy said in the all access draft video: Everything is fell into place.

I don't know if that was quite the case, couldn't we have traded our 2015 3rd for Dorsett and still saved our 3rd this year? Maybe the Rangers really wanted the pick they got, but it wasn't like they didn't have options to still pick in that round with their own pick or the pick for next year couldn't have been a much better option.

Would appear that to get it they had to surrender their 3rd for next year.

That part is in question, since our 3rd next year could be higher and have better prospects available to pick. Perhaps we already had that 3rd in play and then convinced them to add their 3rd, or it was a lesser pick we had in the deal and we upgraded it to get their 3rd.

But again, why wouldn't our 3rd next year have worked in the trade versus trading it to get Anaheim's this year?

That settles it - we need the extended cut!

We missed the part where Jim Benning is just about to sit in his new chair in his new office for the first time, when Kesler's agent calls and starts screaming at him that he has to trade Kesler ASAP and that Kesler will only go to Anaheim or Chicago.

We also missed the discussion between Benning and Linden where they discuss their optionswith Kesler: demand that he expand his list of eligible teams, tell him to suck it up and play like he's paid to play (he wanted a no trade clause), or where they conclude they don't want anybody here that doesn't want to be here.

Those would have been sweet disucssions to hear but not as clean as the ones they posted for us.

This stuff is awesome

Benning seems to have that ability to decide with his Guts and own hockey Experience. With Gillis every move seem calculated, analyzed inside-out, which is good, but at some point numbers can't explain/predict everything. You gotta go with gut feeling.

Agreed, paralysis by analysis is what hurt Gillis the most

Great vid! Love seeing the behind the scenes stuff. For all those yesterday trying to stir the pot, saying Benning was trying to justify his picks... You can clearly see this is part of how he talks shop :). Personally I love it, and he would be somebody to share a pitcher with!

Totally!

Agreed, paralysis by analysis is what hurt Gillis the most

We can agree that failing to pull the trigger hurt Gillis in some cases. But sometimes making the move was just a mistake -- like the Ballard trade or the Booth trade. A bit more paralysis would have been a good thing in those cases.

It's nice to see what's going on. But I think it would be better to have sort of a night before final discussion on what the strategy is.

But they probably don't want to reveal too much, because then other GM's know our tendencies.

Trevor just seemed to there, and observing, and soaking it all in. I think he trusts Benning to make the right moves. I'm pretty sure if we were picking totally off the board, he might have said something. This is one of the few Drafts Trev has ever been a part of so I think he's letting the experts handle it.

It's nice to see what's going on. But I think it would be better to have sort of a night before final discussion on what the strategy is.

But they probably don't want to reveal too much, because then other GM's know our tendencies.

Trevor just seemed to there, and observing, and soaking it all in. I think he trusts Benning to make the right moves. I'm pretty sure if we were picking totally off the board, he might have said something. This is one of the few Drafts Trev has ever been a part of so I think he's letting the experts handle it.

I think Linden will be fairly hands off in terms of the draft, he will entrust that to JB.

Where he will have more involvement is large trades and signings, with the final decision on big moves.

I think Linden will be fairly hands off in terms of the draft, he will entrust that to JB.

Where he will have more involvement is large trades and signings, with the final decision on big moves.

I think Linden has performed his largest task and that was to hire Trader Jim.

Trevor smiles,makes jokes,does photo ops and shakes hands when not doing Jim's paperwork.

I'd have to agree, being able to check this page in the summer time and see some insider footage, is refreshing.

I really hope we get to see some early practice video with some of the new guys. Love the practice video.

"...talkin' bout' practice..."

I think Linden has performed his largest task and that was to hire Trader Jim.

Trevor smiles,makes jokes,does photo ops and shakes hands when not doing Jim's paperwork.

... what I think is interesting, is Benning not having to do what Trevor is good at... Just feels like it works. Watching Gillis' tired face was getting old and sterile.

We can agree that failing to pull the trigger hurt Gillis in some cases. But sometimes making the move was just a mistake -- like the Ballard trade or the Booth trade. A bit more paralysis would have been a good thing in those cases.

The Booth trade was genius when it was made. His play was not.

The Booth trade was genius when it was made. His play was not.

Agreed, not only did booth out score both Samuelson and sturm combined but we also got back the pick we traded for Higgins.

The Ballard trade didn't make sense after we got hamhuis but of you look at what Florida got out of that deal we won that trade as well. The only thing they have to show is quinton howden who has about as much of a shot of making it in the nhl as Schroeder and daple.

Archived