The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it just me or can we actually compete in the Pacific?

apollo

Everyone is under rating our team just because of last year which I mainly blame on that Bostonian head coach.

- I don't think we have a big shot of winning the division realistically. It's arguably one of the toughest divisions ever seen in modern era hockey. I think we have a slim chance; maybe 15% if things fall into place.

- We have a really solid shot at 2nd or 3rd seed though. LA isn't a great regular season team; Sharks are declining for sure but not by much; Ducks may be the biggest threat.

- Calgary... Lol. Phoenix should see a decline as well. Edmonton could actually be better but I think at BEST they would push for 9th in the conference.

So a quick comparison - our 3 real threats in the division

LA ~ 9.25 Apollo rating:

All around better team than us in every department but not by too much in goaltending and D. Depth in all positions. Cup champs... But seriously not a great regular season team. Hopefully there's a major cup hangover.

SJ ~ 8.0 Apollo rating:

Goaltending: Canucks with the edge

Offence: slight edge for SJ

Defence: Slight edge for us

ANA ~ 8.5 Apollo rating:

Offence: Ducks with clear edge. Not too much depth though.

Defence: Canucks with the slim edge.

Canucks Analysis ~ 8.5 rating:

Goaltending: Vezina winning goalie. Terrific backup. Only second to LA

Offence: If certain players bounce back we have terrific group if forwards and depth. Just missing another top 6 guy that may be filled via our younger players

Defence: Looks good on paper. Again hopefully certain players can bounce back under new coaching.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of "ifs" but this team is going to surprise this year. Roster is very solid.

My predictions:

1st ANA

2nd VAN

3rd LA

4th SJ

5th EDM

6th PHX

7th CAL

I'm very confident this team will finish top 3. Maybe even first. Anyone speaking of tanking is nuts!

This is all assuming sedins burrows Edler hamhuis and Miller aren't "done".

Every year things go differently than people predict. I think it's quite possible but we'll really have to see how the team gels. A lot of good things to look forward to but a lot of unknowns. This division isn't as badass as everyone wants to believe.

I am getting tired of the coach ruined our team routine. That's a copout for people that don't understand Gillis ran this team into the ground.

I am getting tired of the coach ruined our team routine. That's a copout for people that don't understand Gillis ran this team into the ground.

Meh I didn't like him from the start as soon as I knew he was from Boston. The team just had a bad year and I'm giving him the blame since he's from Boston lol. Everyone was responsible for last year but mainly torts and then Gillis in my books.

Regardless that's not an issue now. Both are gone. Good riddance.

Meh I didn't like him from the start as soon as I knew he was from Boston. The team just had a bad year and I'm giving him the blame since he's from Boston lol. Everyone was responsible for last year but mainly torts and then Gillis in my books.

Regardless that's not an issue now. Both are gone. Good riddance.

That's extremely poor logic

That's extremely poor logic

True but he even furthered it by refusing to even live in Vancouver and went to point Roberts and even said he wanted to see Sweden win.

Again though... This topic isn't about torts or mg. It's about this team and how good we actually are. Down with all these Californian teams. Can't wait to see us spank them.

1st ANA

2nd VAN

3rd LA

4th SJ

5th EDM

6th PHX

7th CAL

Last year:

0-5 vs. Anaheim

1-4 vs Los Angeles

1-3 vs San Jose

3-2 vs. Edmonton

2-3 vs. Phoenix

5-0 vs Calgary

The only team we had any real success against last season, was Calgary. All of the others, including Edmonton, gave us a LOT of trouble.

We only won 2 of 12 games vs. the top 3 teams in our division.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens, but until we see that, you need to be realistic.

2nd place? I've heard of rose coloured glasses... but you managed to stuff all of Butchart Gardens in there....

Last year:

0-5 vs. Anaheim

1-4 vs Los Angeles

1-3 vs San Jose

3-2 vs. Edmonton

2-3 vs. Phoenix

5-0 vs Calgary

The only team we had any real success against last season, was Calgary. All of the others, including Edmonton, gave us a LOT of trouble.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens, but until we see that, you need to be realistic.

2nd place? I've heard of rose coloured glasses... but you managed to stuff all of Butchart Gardens in there....

Everybody needs to quit quoting last years stats as "the norm". Nearly everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Having that amount of injuries, bad coaching etc happen a second year in a row would be statistically like hitting the lottery. We also have a far more ready prospect pool to actually fill in with any injuries we do have.

Edit: Before someone jumps on this.... No that does not mean that I feel we were or are cup contenders but we're also NOWHERE near as bad of a team as we looked last year.

True but he even furthered it by refusing to even live in Vancouver and went to point Roberts and even said he wanted to see Sweden win.

He wanted the Sedins to win to build their confidence back up and bring it home with them.

That is Canuck-first thinking. I would like that in a head coach over Olympic nationalism any day.

Last year:

0-5 vs. Anaheim

1-4 vs Los Angeles

1-3 vs San Jose

3-2 vs. Edmonton

2-3 vs. Phoenix

5-0 vs Calgary

True true true but that was a different team. With different coach.

Also I don't think we played that bad against the 3 California teams. Refs had it out for us in all 5 LA games. I'll even rewatch them and point out everything if you want.

Also sharks and ducks games were horribly officiated as usual. Refs hated torts.

If avs could go from dead last to a high end team over a coach change then I'm sure we possibly can too.

I really hope officiating isn't horrible as always against the California teams.

Also I don't think we played that bad against the 3 California teams. Refs had it out for us in all 5 LA games. I'll even rewatch them and point out everything if you want.

Also sharks and ducks games were horribly officiated as usual. Refs hated torts.

If avs could go from dead last to a high end team over a coach change then I'm sure we possibly can too.

I really hope officiating isn't horrible as always against the California teams.

Fin and the greenmen could've been officiating last year and we still would've lost.

Fin and the greenmen could've been officiating last year and we still would've lost.

Ummm really? When do u see a team take three separate 7 minute penalties in 2 games? And then evident video of a referee saying he doesn't like a coach during that game.

Did you watch either of the Pittsburgh games? Those were brutally fixed too. So many things went wrong last year including officiating which was the worst I've seen since I started following the team intensely in 2002

I realize a lot has changed since last year.

All I'm saying is, until the team goes out and proves it we really have no idea.

It's possible (not likely) that they could be WORSE than they were last year as well.

With regards to the never ending argument that the "refs are out to get us" well, that's what you get for erecting a statue of Roger Nielsen holding up a white towel on the end of his stick, outside the arena commemorating possibly the most brazen public display of contempt for officials in the game of hockey - ever.

Everyone is under rating our team just because of last year which I mainly blame on that Bostonian head coach.

- I don't think we have a big shot of winning the division realistically. It's arguably one of the toughest divisions ever seen in modern era hockey. I think we have a slim chance; maybe 15% if things fall into place.

- We have a really solid shot at 2nd or 3rd seed though. LA isn't a great regular season team; Sharks are declining for sure but not by much; Ducks may be the biggest threat.

- Calgary... Lol. Phoenix should see a decline as well. Edmonton could actually be better but I think at BEST they would push for 9th in the conference.

So a quick comparison - our 3 real threats in the division

LA ~ 9.25 Apollo rating:

All around better team than us in every department but not by too much in goaltending and D. Depth in all positions. Cup champs... But seriously not a great regular season team. Hopefully there's a major cup hangover.

SJ ~ 8.0 Apollo rating:

Offence: slight edge for SJ

Defence: Slight edge for us

ANA ~ 8.5 Apollo rating:

Offence: Ducks with clear edge. Not too much depth though.

Defence: Canucks with the slim edge.

Canucks Analysis ~ 8.5 rating:

Goaltending: Vezina winning goalie. Terrific backup. Only second to LA

Offence: If certain players bounce back we have terrific group if forwards and depth. Just missing another top 6 guy that may be filled via our younger players

Defence: Looks good on paper. Again hopefully certain players can bounce back under new coaching.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of "ifs" but this team is going to surprise this year. Roster is very solid.

My predictions:

1st ANA

2nd VAN

3rd LA

4th SJ

5th EDM

6th PHX

7th CAL

I'm very confident this team will finish top 3. Maybe even first. Anyone speaking of tanking is nuts!

This is all assuming sedins burrows Edler hamhuis and Miller aren't "done".

Central is stronger than the pacific by a long shot, but I agree with where you think we will end up at,

Regardless that's not an issue now. Both are gone. Good riddance

Ha ha Boston sucks ! Onwards and upwards.

I think you may be rating our defence a bit to high but it all depends on Sbisa. If he can provide some stay at home D we could be very improved. As well just moving out one of our slower guys in Garrison is bound to help with other faster players getting the nod.

He wanted the Sedins to win to build their confidence back up and bring it home with them.

That is Canuck-first thinking. I would like that in a head coach over Olympic nationalism any day.

He's also not Canadian so why does that matter?

Is an intresting topic cause theres a lot of un certainstitys like the ducks goaltending and defense as well kes doesnt solve there offense playoff problems esp if is injured so mutch again

LA is great for playoffs but not in the reg season so a gain they wont dominate not to mention theyve played a lot of hockey the last three years could catch up this year but dont bank on it

I predict the sharks to miss the playoffs whitch could open up a spot for us. Theyre de moraleized and theres two stars are older but they do have a good young crop but i dont think is enough. This is mclelanns last year there if he makes it all the way

Coyotes wont suprise and will miss out

Edmonton will attract intrest but untill they win some games i count them out

Flames are in a good process but not ready for this year for the playoffs. But i wouldnt be suprised cause last year was not expecting the avs to do what they did

Canucks have a lot of questions and hopefills that work out and i think they will cause is a good mix of players with the gm and coach chalengeing them

I think this year the central has better teams

Col

Dal

Chi

Ana

Min

Stl

La

Vcr

Wpg

Sj

Cal

Nas

Ari

Edm

I'm not saying officiating was great, but it wasn't even close to the main reason we had a terrible year last year.

The team playing like crap was.

And we had a whole bunch of key injuries (Tanev, Santo, Bieska, Henrik, Burrows)

and we had a coach that didn't know how to coach to the players skill sets

we also had a coach who brought this team unwanted attention

and we had a couple cancers in the room (sorry apollo, everyone knew luo wanted out, he still played great in the net though)

and we were also top 5 teams with the amount of players heading to olympics (with already one of the worst schedule)

and we also greatly over player our two offensive stars

no true trigger man for the PP unit.

Losts of excuses haha but they do all effect how the team played. Lots went wrong last year that I can't see happening back to back

Archived