The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins on Team 1040

-Vintage Canuck-

Willie Desjardins was on Team 1040 earlier and discussed variety of key issues including Penguins, style, Miller, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Kassian and more.

Here's the full interview (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/07/24/canucks-hc-willie-desjardins-on-team1040

Here's a full summary for those who prefer reading than listening:

How close did you come to signing with Pittsburgh?

“I think there was a chance that could have happened, for sure. I think you always looking at different options. They have a great team, some certainly high-end players. There’s always a chance. That’s a good market.”

You’re in here with fellow rookies in Trevor Linden and Jim Benning. Is there something that drew you with all three of you starting fresh?

“Maybe a little bit, but it wasn’t that we’d be building and that, it was just the fact of getting to work with those guys... I think you always want to build something long-term, but you’re also really short-term in what you want. We want to be a good team. We want to make the playoffs and that’s our focus.”

What kind of hockey can we expect?

“We want to play an up-tempo game. We want to attack. We want to take pucks to the net. We want to compete every night. And every shift, not just every night. Every shift we want to be ready to compete and play hard. We expect that from our players. We expect that we’ll give an honest effort every time we’re on the ice.”

How important was it to you get to get a guy like Ryan Miller in the net?

“That’s such a big plug for us. I think that Eddie Lack’s a really good goaltender. He’s a really good up and coming goaltender, but it’s hard to put a young goaltender in that position where he’s got to take everything. So I think once you get a guy like Ryan Miller that really puts everybody in their right spot and Eddie Lack can develop and at the same time Miller can give us the experienced, No. 1 goaltender we need.”

What are your expectations for the Sedins and where do you seem them fitting in terms of role?

“Well, I think they’re elite players and great character people. I think you always win with your character. I think you win with your leaders. I see them being real key guys on this team. I think that they have great skill. I think they were disappointed with their year last year. They want to come back with a real good year. So I expect them to be elite in the league. I think that’s what they’ve done in the past and I expect them to be there this year as well.”

What kind of contact have you had with your players?

“I’ve had quite a bit. I phoned them all and talked to them. I met with some of them in person. I’m planning on going and meeting with a few more. For me, it’s getting ready for the season. I just want to make sure guys are training and working out and that our conditioning is going to be where it needs to be. We have to be able to win games in the third period because we’re in great condition and we’re just not going to tire out.”

You’ve always been known as a players’ coach. Is that really important for them to buy into your schemes?

“When you say a players’ coach – I just respect my players. I think it takes a lot to play this game. The expectations are high. They’ve got to put forward every night. And I just respect them. I know what they have to prepare and how hard they have to work in the summer to do that, and things don’t always go their way, but we expect them to battle through. I just think that we have a good group in Vancouver. Maybe you always say that about your team, but when I’ve talked to the guys, I really believe that we have a real good mix. We have some great veteran leaders. I think we’ve got some young players that are up and coming that want to prove some things. So I like our team and I’m excited about coaching it.”

How do you fill the hole that’s been left by Ryan Kesler?

“That’s a tough role because he did give you a few different things. He had some size in the middle and is a big power forward. We can’t replace that maybe right away, but maybe we can fill it different ways... Bonino’s a good player, had just as many points, a few more points than Kesler. A guy that’s really excited to be here, wants to do things, will work to fit in. So maybe you don’t quite fill the spot, but maybe you fill it in other ways... Different guys chipping in. Once they get a bigger role, they’re a little more excited about it. So you can’t fill that spot necessarily, but maybe you add the parts around it and make it better.”

If Radim Vrbata plays with the Sedins, where does that leave Alex Burrows?

“He fills a big role. I went and met with Alex, talked to him. He’s a real key part of the team. He brings a lot of passion, a lot of energy to the team. We need that. He wants to win. Like, he’s committed to winning. He said it doesn’t matter if he’s with the Sedins or not. His style maybe changes a little bit when he plays with other guys because he knows the Sedins so well. But he just wants to do whatever he can to help us win. He’s totally committed to that. He’s a real leader on this team. He plays with a lot of energy, so he’s a guy that’ll play a big role in lots of different ways and maybe he can help out younger guys like Kassian. Maybe he can move a guy like that in, get him going. Fill a role on another power play unit or different things. And there’s no saying that he won’t be with the Sedins sometime in the year as well.”

How much pressure will you be putting on Alex Edler to carry that defence?

“I don’t think there’s pressure on him. He’s just got to be Alex Edler. He’s a dominant player. He’s proven that in the past. He’s another guy that’s a great person, that wants to come to the rink, that wants to do well, has a real good fit in Vancouver. So I just expect him to play his best. I just expect him to come to the rink, and play like he can play. If he does that everything just takes care of itself.”

What do you think you can bring out in Zack Kassian’s game that can get him to that next level?

“I think probably the biggest thing he needs is consistency...

“I think a guy like Alex Burrows can help that a lot. If he happens to be playing with him, on the bench, and talking to him; but the biggest key is Zack himself. He wants to be better. He wants to move his game to another level and to do that he probably has to prepare a little better and he probably has to focus a little better in practice. We have to be good every shift and he can’t be an up and down player. I think he has a little bit of a challenge to his game, but that’s what he wants to do. That’s the player he wants to become, so we’ll just help him get there.”

How many of these kids do you think you’ll be able to find room for?

“I think our key is we have to have guys that can play. We have a set number of players, or a set number of spots, and those guys have to be able to win that spot. So if they’re good enough to beat out other guys, then they’ll make the team. We’re playing to win. That’s what we’re here for, that’s how we come to the rink to play, and we’ll go with our best lineup. Hopefully those young guys have a great offseason of training and they’re totally ready. If it’s a tie, then for sure you go with the young guy. That just makes sense because you want to develop and you want to get them in there. But we’ll give them a great look and we’re hoping they’re prepared to have a great year.

Where do you see Linden Vey fitting in?

“Well, he’s another guy that has to prove it. He’s proven it in spurts and when he was up with Los Angeles, in the American League he’s proven it. Now you have to prove it on an everyday basis. You have to come in and show what you can do. Sometimes when you know you might get a longer look that you’re not so worried about making mistakes you play better. Sometimes you don’t. I think he’s a guy we expect him to play. It’s his spot to take. But he has to be ready at training camp and I expect him to be ready.”

When you do pick the young guy over the older guy, that really gives you a chance to put your stamp and really to form and coach that kid, doesn’t it?

“It does, and you want that because it takes a little time to get your style in and what you need to do. You want that opportunity. But at the same time, those veteran guys, they’ve earned their spot too. They’ve got to be treated the way they should. The Sedins have earned their status. They’ve put in their time and they deserve their opportunities. They’ve had a little bit of a slip and they deserve the chance to get it back. So it’s a fine line. But in the end it’s the guy’s that are ready to play that play.”

How tough will it be coming out of the Pacific Division?

“(Laughs) That’s the worst part about going to Vancouver. It’s just such a tough division to come out of. But that’s our job. That’s what we’re hired for. That’s what we want to do. That’s what the fans want. So it’s our job to find a way. Will it be tough? Sure it’ll be tough. But can it be done? Yes it can and that’s what we’re going to focus on and go after.”

Hes a beut 180 flip from torts

Funny, because he's saying a lot of the same sorta things that Torts did this time last year.

Wants to make playoffs: Check.

Attack-brand hockey: Check.

Compete every shift: Check.

Confidence in Luongo/Miller: Check.

Believes in Sedins: Check.

Talked to players: Check.

Respects players: Check.

Needs newer guys to do more things: Check.

Needs to find a way to get Kassian going: Check.

Hopeful for Edler: Check.

Kassian needs to be more consistent: Check.

Prospects will have to earn spots: Check.

Sedins still elite and they'll have to be: Check.

In tough here during this phase: Check.

Willie Desjardins was on Team 1040 earlier and discussed variety of key issues including Penguins, style, Miller, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Kassian and more.

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/07/24/canucks-hc-willie-desjardins-on-team1040

“I think there was a chance that could have happened, for sure. I think you always looking at different options. They have a great team, some certainly high-end players. There’s always a chance. That’s a good market.”

You’re in here with fellow rookies in Trevor Linden and Jim Benning. Is there something that drew you with all three of you starting fresh?

“Maybe a little bit, but it wasn’t that we’d be building and that, it was just the fact of getting to work with those guys... I think you always want to build something long-term, but you’re also really short-term in what you want. We want to be a good team. We want to make the playoffs and that’s our focus.”

“We want to play an up-tempo game. We want to attack. We want to take pucks to the net. We want to compete every night. And every shift, not just every night. Every shift we want to be ready to compete and play hard. We expect that from our players. We expect that we’ll give an honest effort every time we’re on the ice.”

“That’s such a big plug for us. I think that Eddie Lack’s a really good goaltender. He’s a really good up and coming goaltender, but it’s hard to put a young goaltender in that position where he’s got to take everything. So I think once you get a guy like Ryan Miller that really puts everybody in their right spot and Eddie Lack can develop and at the same time Miller can give us the experienced, No. 1 goaltender we need.”

What are your expectations for the Sedins and where do you seem them fitting in terms of role?

“Well, I think they’re elite players and great character people. I think you always win with your character. I think you win with your leaders. I see them being real key guys on this team. I think that they have great skill. I think they were disappointed with their year last year. They want to come back with a real good year. So I expect them to be elite in the league. I think that’s what they’ve done in the past and I expect them to be there this year as well.”

“I’ve had quite a bit. I phoned them all and talked to them. I met with some of them in person. I’m planning on going and meeting with a few more. For me, it’s getting ready for the season. I just want to make sure guys are training and working out and that our conditioning is going to be where it needs to be. We have to be able to win games in the third period because we’re in great condition and we’re just not going to tire out.”

You’ve always been known as a players’ coach. Is that really important for them to buy into your schemes?

“When you say a players’ coach – I just respect my players. I think it takes a lot to play this game. The expectations are high. They’ve got to put forward every night. And I just respect them. I know what they have to prepare and how hard they have to work in the summer to do that, and things don’t always go their way, but we expect them to battle through. I just think that we have a good group in Vancouver. Maybe you always say that about your team, but when I’ve talked to the guys, I really believe that we have a real good mix. We have some great veteran leaders. I think we’ve got some young players that are up and coming that want to prove some things. So I like our team and I’m excited about coaching it.”

“That’s a tough role because he did give you a few different things. He had some size in the middle and is a big power forward. We can’t replace that maybe right away, but maybe we can fill it different ways... Bonino’s a good player, had just as many points, a few more points than Kesler. A guy that’s really excited to be here, wants to do things, will work to fit in. So maybe you don’t quite fill the spot, but maybe you fill it in other ways... Different guys chipping in. Once they get a bigger role, they’re a little more excited about it. So you can’t fill that spot necessarily, but maybe you add the parts around it and make it better.”

“He fills a big role. I went and met with Alex, talked to him. He’s a real key part of the team. He brings a lot of passion, a lot of energy to the team. We need that. He wants to win. Like, he’s committed to winning. He said it doesn’t matter if he’s with the Sedins or not. His style maybe changes a little bit when he plays with other guys because he knows the Sedins so well. But he just wants to do whatever he can to help us win. He’s totally committed to that. He’s a real leader on this team. He plays with a lot of energy, so he’s a guy that’ll play a big role in lots of different ways and maybe he can help out younger guys like Kassian. Maybe he can move a guy like that in, get him going. Fill a role on another power play unit or different things. And there’s no saying that he won’t be with the Sedins sometime in the year as well.”

“I don’t think there’s pressure on him. He’s just got to be Alex Edler. He’s a dominant player. He’s proven that in the past. He’s another guy that’s a great person, that wants to come to the rink, that wants to do well, has a real good fit in Vancouver. So I just expect him to play his best. I just expect him to come to the rink, and play like he can play. If he does that everything just takes care of itself.”

What do you think you can bring out in Zack Kassian’s game that can get him to that next level?

“I think a guy like Alex Burrows can help that a lot. If he happens to be playing with him, on the bench, and talking to him; but the biggest key is Zack himself. He wants to be better. He wants to move his game to another level and to do that he probably has to prepare a little better and he probably has to focus a little better in practice. We have to be good every shift and he can’t be an up and down player. I think he has a little bit of a challenge to his game, but that’s what he wants to do. That’s the player he wants to become, so we’ll just help him get there.”

“I think our key is we have to have guys that can play. We have a set number of players, or a set number of spots, and those guys have to be able to win that spot. So if they’re good enough to beat out other guys, then they’ll make the team. We’re playing to win. That’s what we’re here for, that’s how we come to the rink to play, and we’ll go with our best lineup. Hopefully those young guys have a great offseason of training and they’re totally ready. If it’s a tie, then for sure you go with the young guy. That just makes sense because you want to develop and you want to get them in there. But we’ll give them a great look and we’re hoping they’re prepared to have a great year.

“Well, he’s another guy that has to prove it. He’s proven it in spurts and when he was up with Los Angeles, in the American League he’s proven it. Now you have to prove it on an everyday basis. You have to come in and show what you can do. Sometimes when you know you might get a longer look that you’re not so worried about making mistakes you play better. Sometimes you don’t. I think he’s a guy we expect him to play. It’s his spot to take. But he has to be ready at training camp and I expect him to be ready.”

When you do pick the young guy over the older guy, that really gives you a chance to put your stamp and really to form and coach that kid, doesn’t it?

“It does, and you want that because it takes a little time to get your style in and what you need to do. You want that opportunity. But at the same time, those veteran guys, they’ve earned their spot too. They’ve got to be treated the way they should. The Sedins have earned their status. They’ve put in their time and they deserve their opportunities. They’ve had a little bit of a slip and they deserve the chance to get it back. So it’s a fine line. But in the end it’s the guy’s that are ready to play that play.”

“(Laughs) That’s the worst part about going to Vancouver. It’s just such a tough division to come out of. But that’s our job. That’s what we’re hired for. That’s what we want to do. That’s what the fans want. So it’s our job to find a way. Will it be tough? Sure it’ll be tough. But can it be done? Yes it can and that’s what we’re going to focus on and go after.”

So many times last season, that was not the case. A defense first team could not come back, after being down for the first minutes of the games. That was what Torts had hammered into their brains.

Like what I'm hearing. Especially the part about being able to win games in the 3rd period.

Last year, we outplayed the opponents in the first two periods (even LA, ANA, SJS), only to collapse badly in the third.

Luongo/Miller check

Did I miss something or was that a wishful Freudian slip? Was that supposed to be Lack/Miller?

Anyways thanks for posting the transcript, saved me looking around for a link on a page I've never visited before. I may have gotten lost and then scared. The internet is a big and scary place with lots of trolls and other scary things that a boy like me should never see.

I, as well as many of the readers here, truly appreciate constructive, informative, organized posts like this. Thank you for your contribution.

I'm not gonna lie. I don't know much about this guy but the main points he made about effort and attack sound really similar to Tortorella ...

Because it is true. Torts was smart, he knew what the team needed to win, he just didn't care enough, was stubborn to change his tactics and didn't have the right style or persona for the team. It doesn't take much to look at this team as see who the veterans are, what type of player Burrows is, that Kassian needs to be more consistent and that we need to play hard every night and make the playoffs by being competitive. I think (surprisingly) have a CDC could have figured that out.

The difference is that Willie brings a differently personality and a different coaching style. Torts was most definitely not an up-tempo, play in the other side of the rink and work hard every night type of coach, he was a lot more defensive minded on getting the puck and blocking shots. Willie is building a relationship with players and like I said before a different style, a style that he utilizes and believes in.

Archived