The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

~ Lineup tweaks we may have missed

darkpoet

I just happened to realize this in another thread. If this isn't somehow worthy of a new one then go ahead and axe it. My pride will survive.

Obviously we have a number of new players who'll be on this team come September/October.

I want to discuss some things that maybe have gone unnoticed that could pay huge dividends for our team.

The one thing I noticed was how our top two lines look to possibly be fleshing out.

We've all seen them:

Danny/Hank/Vrbata

Burr/Bonino/Kass

You can look at that on the surface and say "yep, looks pretty good"

One thing though, is that all 4 of those wingers are now in their natural positions. When was the last time we had that on our top two lines? Have we EVER??

Danny is a Left Wing LH shot, Vrbata is a Right Wing RH shot

Burr (who's played on his off wing with the Sedins) is a Left Wing LH shot, Kass is a Right Wing RH shot.

That is exactly what you want to see as a centerman. Guys on each side of you who shoot respective to their position.

I really do not think this was a coincidence.

The top line I think we can all agree, will provide a lot of offense for us.

The 2nd line now, with Bonino allegedly being a real "play maker" (something Kesler never really was) along with Kassian also emerging with some distributive skills last year - that line really needed a shooter on the left side. Enter Burrows who did exactly that riding shotgun with the twins.

The more I look at how this lineup is shaping out, the more I'm going hmmmm there could really be something here.

So what have you guys noticed that may not have been? anything piquing your spidey sense?

I just happened to realize this in another thread. If this isn't somehow worthy of a new one then go ahead and axe it. My pride will survive.

Obviously we have a number of new players who'll be on this team come September/October.

I want to discuss some things that maybe have gone unnoticed that could pay huge dividends for our team.

The one thing I noticed was how our top two lines look to possibly be fleshing out.

We've all seen them:

Hank/Danny/Vrbata

Burr/Bonino/Kass

One thing though, is that all 4 of those wingers are now in their natural positions. When was the last time we had that on our top two lines? Have we EVER??

Hank is a Left Wing LH shot, Vrbata is a Right Wing RH shot

Burr (who's played on his off wing with the Sedins) is a Left Wing LH shot, Kass is a Right Wing RH shot.

That is exactly what you want to see as a centerman. Guys on each side of you who shoot respective to their position.

The 2nd line now, with Bonino allegedly being a real "play maker" (something Kesler never really was) along with Kassian also emerging with some distributive skills last year - that line really needed a shooter on the left side. Enter Burrows who did exactly that riding shotgun with the twins.

The more I look at how this lineup is shaping out, the more I'm going hmmmm there could really be something here.

So what have you guys noticed that may not have been? anything peeking your spidey sense?

Uhmm Danny plays left wing not Hank... but otherwise great observation

List of Right Wingers w/ RH shots who've played with the Sedins for any length of time:

Trent Klatt

Anson Carter

I did not include anyone (like Samuelson) who mostly hooked up with them on the PP (couldn't help it... :towel::P )

I think we can all agree to scratch Trent Klatt. He was a plug with no real offensive talent.

Was there anyone else?

If Carter was the only real offensive RH/RW shot to have ever played with the twins, it's interesting to note the chemistry that line had.
Carter had 33G and 22A in his one year here. By the looks of it that would have continued had he not tried to $$$core a big contract.

How about 2nd lines?

I'm looking but there are a lot more combinations to see there....

People are forgeting jensen hes gonna be good-great this year should be on the second line

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Boner Vey

Burr Matthias Kass

Doorset Richy Hansen

Sestito

Higgy traded

I'm not forgetting him. I'm just assuming that all things being equal, a $4.5M LH/LW will be playing on the 2nd line vs. the 3rd line.

From what Desjardin said on the TEAM this morning though, everyone has to earn their spot. Until that spot is lost though, I believe it's Burrs to lose.

People are forgeting jensen hes gonna be good-great this year should be on the second line

No, he shouldn't. He needs to earn his spot in the top 6 the same way Kassian has. We can't just hand young players spots in the top 6 when players like Burrows, Kassian, and Higgins are much more capable. If Jensen makes the team this year he will likely be playing on the third or fourth line.

We've all seen them:

Danny/Hank/Vrbata

Burr/Bonino/Kass

Danny is a Left Wing LH shot, Vrbata is a Right Wing RH shot

So what have you guys noticed that may not have been? anything piquing your spidey sense?

Evander Kane is also a LW, left shot.

If the Canucks are going into this season with burrows on the second line, they're in trouble.

If Burrows is better than Vrbata with the Sedins, then so be it. Otherwise, I see him competing for the erd line along with Higgins and Hansen.

Factor in Matthias who is built for the West and a few rookies who might have a say in things going forward, and I like the internal competition for the top two lines.

But surely the Canucks can do much better than Burrows, Higgins or Hansen on the second line.

It doesn't matter that you have a right handed winger on the right and a left handed winger on the left. Particularly with a shooter, a winger might prefer to play their off side to make getting set up for shots easier. If you're a playmaker (think Ales Hemsky) then being on your strong side helps since you'd then be passing off your forehand to the center of the ice. A player that likes to drive the net might also find it easier to control the puck with their stick on the strong side.

No, he shouldn't. He needs to earn his spot in the top 6 the same way Kassian has. We can't just hand young players spots in the top 6 when players like Burrows, Kassian, and Higgins are much more capable. If Jensen makes the team this year he will likely be playing on the third or fourth line.

The Canucks shouldn't give spots to young kids at any position. That said, if the place is earned, then why not. And I don't mean wait a decade for your opportunity.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Boner Vey

Burr Matthias Kass

Doorset Richy Hansen

Sestito

Higgy traded

Though he is a LH shot, I thought Jensen was a natural RW?

If the Canucks are y=going into this season with burrows on the second line, they're in trouble.

If Burrows is better than Vrbata with the Sedins, then so be it. Otherwise, I see him competing for the erd line along with Higgins and Hansen.

Factor in Matthias who is built for the West and a few rookies who might have a say in things going forward, and I like the internal competition for the top two lines.

But surely the Canucks can do much better than Burrows, Higgins or Hansen on the second line.

Higgins and Hansen yes, but I'm not with the party that believes Burrows is a has-been after one (VERY) injury riddled season.

Going by what Desjardin said this morning, Burr seems extremely motivated to put last season behind him and help the team out in any way he can. He's made a living scoring, so I expect that out of him this year - and it sounded like coach did too.

It doesn't matter that you have a right handed winger on the right and a left handed winger on the left. Particularly with a shooter, a winger might prefer to play their off side to make getting set up for shots easier.

Well, it "could" matter.

As a center, I've always preferred guys on the wing who shot/played their natural positions. It just seemed more balanced and cohesive that way.

I guess that's the perspective I'm running with here. It's not about what's best for one guy or the other, but the 3 of them as a whole... and by my experience it seems to work best when guys are "where they should be" for lack of a better term.

Re: the importance of playing/shooting at your natural position.

Think of it this way. You don't often see guys one-timing shots on their backhand (LOL)

On the PP for example you don't have guys bobbling pucks from their back hand to their fore hand as much since they're receiving passes on their strong side.
We've also heard management talking at length about adding more RH shots to the blueline. The reason why is because it does offer more balance.

It just saves time I believe, and in a game of seconds, every one of them counts.

If the Canucks are y=going into this season with burrows on the second line, they're in trouble.

That's why I say you package Burrows, Hansen, Jensen, and Markstrom/Lack to the jets.

but I don't think ownership has giving up on burrows as of yet. They will want to see how he bounces back from the injury season

Well, it "could" matter.

As a center, I've always preferred guys on the wing who shot/played their natural positions. It just seemed more balanced and cohesive that way.

I guess that's the perspective I'm running with here. It's not about what's best for one guy or the other, but the 3 of them as a whole... and by my experience it seems to work best when guys are "where they should be" for lack of a better term.

I agree, I've always preferred playing right wing as i'm right handed, Break outs passes are always on my forehand, if I ever get an odd man break i also get to make the play on my forehand rather than to make a hard sauce on my backhand

Archived