The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

~ Lineup tweaks we may have missed

darkpoet

I do not understand what you are getting at. You can one time a puck from either side regardless of your handedness. However, look at hull and stamkos. It is much easier and leather if you are on your off wing receiving a one timer.

I believe the only true relevance to what wing you play is in the defensive end retrieving pucks from your D or ring-arounds. Some players can get the puck to there stick easier on one wing or the other, and then be able to distribute the puck quickly and efficiently.

i'm looking for matthias to have a big year....benning told matthias that they tried to trade for him when he was in boston...

he looked good last year when he played with richardson and kassian...

Ok his name has come up a few times here now so let's roll with him and see if we can get the same balance on a potential 3rd line with who we have available.

(I'm also a big fan of his BTW)

He plays Center or LW, and shoots Left.

So here's a possible balanced 3rd line with him in the Middle. I prefer this because he's a pretty big guy at 6'3" 215lbs

*LWLS (left wing left shot) RWRS (right wing right shot)

LWLS Richardson or Higgins / Richardson or Matty / Hansen or Vey RWRS = balanced with size in the middle and grit/speed on the wings.

That looks pretty good to me.

How about the 4th line then. Might as well see if we can carry this right through the team:

LWLS Richardson or Higgins / Richardson or Matty / Vey or Dorsett RWRS

WOW!

Do you guys see what I'm saying about this? With the addition of all these right handed shots, it gives us a LOT more balance right down through the entire roster, and with the bottom 2 lines we even have a few guys who have 2 natural positions.

So let's compile this and have a look at what this may look like with my version of "balanced" through the lineup:

1. Dank / Hank / Vrbata

2. Burr / Bonino / Kass

3. Richardson or Higgins / Richardson or Matty / Hansen, Vey or Dorsett

4. Richardson or Higgins / Richardson or Matty / Hansen, Vey or Dorsett

ALL of those players are slotted in their natural positions. No wonder Desjardins is excited. this looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I do not understand what you are getting at. You can one time a puck from either side regardless of your handedness. However, look at hull and stamkos. It is much easier and leather if you are on your off wing receiving a one timer.

I believe the only true relevance to what wing you play is in the defensive end retrieving pucks from your D or ring-arounds. Some players can get the puck to there stick easier on one wing or the other, and then be able to distribute the puck quickly and efficiently.

I was having a bit of fun with you (i think it was you) ... you were never forced to play field hockey in elementary school? It's *@#ed up..... lol

I just had a quick look at the Defence and we can carry this right through them as well.

Bieksa, Tanev, Weber, and Sanguinetti are all RH shots.

Stanton, Sbisa, Hamhuis, and Edler are all LH shots.

Somebody prove me wrong but I don't think we've ever had a team here that could split the L/R natural positions evenly right through an entire lineup, without someone playing out of place.

This is HUGE. I know some of you think i'm overemphasizing it, but to at least have the option is pretty rare. Not just 1 line, but on all 4 forward lines and all 3 defense lines.
FACK YEAH !! :towel:

It doesn't matter that you have a right handed winger on the right and a left handed winger on the left.

It is more dangerous and far more difficult to dig the puck off the boards on your off wing.

Taking the puck on a pass on your natural wing allows one movement and a shot or even a one-timer.

That is lost when playing the off wing.

The new coach explained that he would like Kass to learn from Burr so that implies they will be playing together.

He also stated that Kass may not be ready for that assignment as his game is not yet showing he fully belongs.

Bieksa, Tanev, Weber, and Sanguinetti are all RH shots.

Stanton, Sbisa, Hamhuis, and Edler are all LH shots.

Especially important for D men to play their natural sides.

Not much time down deep to distribute the puck.

It is more dangerous and far more difficult to dig the puck off the boards on your off wing.

Taking the puck on a pass on your natural wing allows one movement and a shot or even a one-timer.

That is lost when playing the off wing.

The new coach explained that he would like Kass to learn from Burr so that implies they will be playing together.

He also stated that Kass may not be ready for that assignment as his game is not yet showing he fully belongs.

That's an excellent point thanks for making it.

For the sake of clarity, if you're on your off-wing digging for a puck along the boards you're more apt to get hit/blindsided because you have to turn your shoulder/body and hence, your head inside, which takes your vision away from the play.

That doesn't happen if you're on your strong side, where you can both retrieve the puck and watch the play at the same time.

It is those split second advantages that add up.

I had no idea what Gillis was doing with all those lefties.-on D.

He was weakening the strength of the individual's play and endangering the players safety.

It's one thing to have two D lefties on during PP time as the play is mostly in the offensive end.

I am also interested to see how well Burr plays on his natural side.

People are forgeting jensen hes gonna be good-great this year should be on the second line

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Boner Vey

Burr Matthias Kass

Doorset Richy Hansen

Sestito

Higgy traded

No way they trade Higgins to fit in a a toss away that's on a 2 way contract (Vey) or a gaping defensive hole named Jensen.

For the sake of clarity, if you're on your off-wing digging for a puck along the boards you're more apt to get hit/blindsided because you have to turn your shoulder/body and hence, your head inside, which takes your vision away from the play.

That doesn't happen if you're on your strong side, where you can both retrieve the puck and watch the play at the same time.

Would think it's also a big advantage to clearing the zone, whether up the boards, a breakout pass, or off the glass and out. Does it not also help in the offensive end, with pinches and on the PP? You are actually facing the play at all times.

i'm looking for matthias to have a big year....benning told matthias that they tried to trade for him when he was in boston...

he looked good last year when he played with richardson and kassian...

Kassian won't get to improve his offensive skills playing with Richardson and Matthias.

He needs top-6 minutes or his offensive potential will never be reached. No more playing with 3rd/4th liners, kid needs some better line-mates.

Re: the importance of playing/shooting at your natural position.

Think of it this way. You don't often see guys one-timing shots on their backhand (LOL)

On the PP for example you don't have guys bobbling pucks from their back hand to their fore hand as much since they're receiving passes on their strong side.

We've also heard management talking at length about adding more RH shots to the blueline. The reason why is because it does offer more balance.

It just saves time I believe, and in a game of seconds, every one of them counts.

Which was exactly my point about shooters often playing their off side naturally. Go to YouTube and look up 'Ryan Kesler One Timer' - actually, here you go:

Kesler scored a lot of goals for us from that spot. In the slot, particularly coming from the left point or half wall. The reason why that works is he's a right handed shooter on the left side so any pass coming to him from the right side of the ice gets to a shooting position sooner than if he was a left handed shot. The shot is quicker and the goalie gets less time to come across and set up for the save.

If he were a left handed shot on the left side, then the puck would have to cross his body before he could get the shot away, which is more time for the goalie to get across and set to make the save. It's not much, but that saves time too, and there's a reason why it works.

As far as on the blueline, that's totally different since they're always facing the offensive zone (where a winger digging in the corner or waiting on a pass out of their zone may be facing back to their own end) and generally want to have their stick on the strong side to make it easier to handle. You often see the defence partners switch sides when trying to setup a shot though, something much easier to do for them than it is for wingers.

I'm not forgetting him. I'm just assuming that all things being equal, a $4.5M LH/LW will be playing on the 2nd line vs. the 3rd line.

From what Desjardin said on the TEAM this morning though, everyone has to earn their spot. Until that spot is lost though, I believe it's Burrs to lose.

I a gree with a bout Burr as he is abuzed by people here and deservs so mutch better. But jensen is realy talented and will proove the haters wrong a gain next year. So lets give to a gree:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Boner Burr

Matthias Vey Kass

Doorset Richy Hansen

No, he shouldn't. He needs to earn his spot in the top 6 the same way Kassian has. We can't just hand young players spots in the top 6 when players like Burrows, Kassian, and Higgins are much more capable. If Jensen makes the team this year he will likely be playing on the third or fourth line.

Thats stupid u need to give the young guns a chance

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Boner Vey

Burr Matthias Kass

Is mutch better then

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Burr Hansen

Richardson Matthias Sestito

The one thing I noticed was how our top two lines look to possibly be fleshing out.

We've all seen them:

Danny/Hank/Vrbata

Burr/Bonino/Kass

You can look at that on the surface and say "yep, looks pretty good"

One thing though, is that all 4 of those wingers are now in their natural positions. When was the last time we had that on our top two lines? Have we EVER??

Torts spent a lot of time last season trying to make the lines work that way. Which is why Kesler, Santorelli & Hansen all got long auditions on the twins line.

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Higgins Santorelli Hansen

Booth Richardson Kassian

Sedin Sedin Santorelli

Higgins Kesler Hansen

Booth Richardson Kassian

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Higgins Kesler Santorelli

Booth Richardson Kassian

All similar combinations that were tried last year when Burrows was out.

It kind of fell apart when Burrows came back & Santorelli went down.

The Sedins have had more success with LH RWs. Burr and Eriksson (during the world championship) Samuelsson have all had success and Burr was there for their best years.

This year we should/will witness a RH RW playing with the twins -.albeit at 34 years of age.

The Sedins made a lot of players look good and they weren't all LH RW's -Anson Carter scored a career high 33 goals on the 'Brother Line'.

Trent Klatt did well , as did RH/RW Kesler during his PP stints.

Archived